TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Tokyo Disneysea - The world's GREATEST themepark?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also had a chance to got to Tokyo DisneySea this past summer. I was definitely very impressed by the theming of the park, but I don't think it was the greatest theme park ever. IMO it does not balance the thrill with the theming. Tower of Terror and Indiana Jones are the most thrilling rides, but they both generally deliver the same ride experience as their California and Florida counterparts. Also, the food is not as good as it's hyped up to be (at least when you are on a budget like I was). They have really good ice cream and probably popcorn (I didn't get the chance to try any) but the main dishes at the restaurants are not as good as the food in the rest of the country.

There are definitely things that make this park worth visiting. I personally much prefer the Japanese culture to the American. Everyone is so friendly and much more conscious of the people around them. Also, if you didn't pick it up from the original post, the theming is the best in the world. The inside of the volcano is particularly magical and Journey to the Center of the Earth has a kickbutt lava monster.

Part of it was that I was with my cousins who were expecting more thrills. My group preferred Fuji-Q to DisneySea despite terrible ride ops and extremely slow operations. The rides there are also definitely worth getting to if you're in Japan, but as an overall experience it's much worse. If you must know, the greatest theme park in the world for me is Cedar Point. Great thrills, well kept paths, and fast operations make it amazing, but none of that is any kind of secret.

I also had a chance to got to Tokyo DisneySea this past summer. I was definitely very impressed by the theming of the park, but I don't think it was the greatest theme park ever. IMO it does not balance the thrill with the theming. Tower of Terror and Indiana Jones are the most thrilling rides, but they both generally deliver the same ride experience as their California and Florida counterparts. Also, the food is not as good as it's hyped up to be (at least when you are on a budget like I was). They have really good ice cream and probably popcorn (I didn't get the chance to try any) but the main dishes at the restaurants are not as good as the food in the rest of the country.

There are definitely things that make this park worth visiting. I personally much prefer the Japanese culture to the American. Everyone is so friendly and much more conscious of the people around them. Also, if you didn't pick it up from the original post, the theming is the best in the world. The inside of the volcano is particularly magical and Journey to the Center of the Earth has a kickbutt lava monster.

Part of it was that I was with my cousins who were expecting more thrills. My group preferred Fuji-Q to DisneySea despite terrible ride ops and extremely slow operations. The rides there are also definitely worth getting to if you're in Japan, but as an overall experience it's much worse. If you must know, the greatest theme park in the world for me is Cedar Point. Great thrills, well kept paths, and fast operations make it amazing, but none of that is any kind of secret.

I love Cedar Point too, but I think a distinction needs to be made between amusement parks and theme parks. Cedar Point is definitely in the former category. You won't find any theming or immersive experiences there, and the park is known rather for its world class roller coasters. An amusement park needs to spend a far lower amount of money building and expanding because they only need to build the bare bones. There is no need for additional decoration beyond building a collection of thrilling rides. On the other hand, theme parks like Disney and Universal spend 10x or more the amount per attraction because creating a cohesive and elaborate environment is critical to the atmosphere and immersion that are integral to a themed experience.

When rating a theme park based on its most important purpose (great storytelling and how well it transports guests to a different time and place versus how thrilling its rides are), Tokyo DisneySea is the clear leader (even over other Disney parks) because no other park in the world can match its scale and detail of theming. If I wanted to ride the most thrilling attractions, there are many amusement parks I'd choose before even considering a Disney park of all places.

TDS is the world's greatest in theming without a doubt, and I've never given much thought to distinguishing amusement parks from theme parks. Cedar Point (and all the Cedar Fair parks) do have some theming on their rides and keep the pathways clean, but there are no lands and the theming rarely extends past the entrance of a ride. Still, the park looks beautiful and certainly provides a sense of wonder from the thrill and scope of the rides alone. And (although it may have been unintentional) the one theming quality that Cedar Point brilliantly executes is amusement park history. Gemini's queue and station felt like I traveled back in time to the 70's, Magnum's trains and station (and the architectural design of the coaster) felt like a blast thru the 80's, and Blue Streak has a wonderfully maintained classic feel.

But then there are parks like Islands of Adventure and Busch Gardens which I think provide a great balance of thrills and theming. If any of the Disney parks could get one big B&M or Intamin coaster that would make them unrivaled. However it wouldn't be ideal for their market, and very difficult to theme something so massive while matching the quality and detail of their other rides. Especially TDS.

If any of the Disney parks could get one big B&M or Intamin coaster that would make them unrivaled. However it wouldn't be ideal for their market, and very difficult to theme something so massive while matching the quality and detail of their other rides. Especially TDS.

Exactly--the "big thrill" crowd is not Disney's audience.

My group preferred Fuji-Q to DisneySea despite terrible ride ops and extremely slow operations.

Well, y'all have fun with that, then.

I love Cedar Point too, but I think a distinction needs to be made between amusement parks and theme parks. Cedar Point is definitely in the former category. You won't find any theming or immersive experiences there, and the park is known rather for its world class roller coasters. An amusement park needs to spend a far lower amount of money building and expanding because they only need to build the bare bones. There is no need for additional decoration beyond building a collection of thrilling rides. On the other hand, theme parks like Disney and Universal spend 10x or more the amount per attraction because creating a cohesive and elaborate environment is critical to the atmosphere and immersion that are integral to a themed experience.

When rating a theme park based on its most important purpose (great storytelling and how well it transports guests to a different time and place versus how thrilling its rides are), Tokyo DisneySea is the clear leader (even over other Disney parks) because no other park in the world can match its scale and detail of theming. If I wanted to ride the most thrilling attractions, there are many amusement parks I'd choose before even considering a Disney park of all places.

Interesting. I'd never really given much thought to distinguish amusement parks and theme parks before. You're right though; I guess they serve a totally different purpose. It's really comparing apples and oranges. I will say that I much prefer amusement parks to theme parks as you refer to them.

^^^^ I agree that the transitions from land to land are pretty bad because of how they're isn't really a central theme.

Only that transition is truly bad. Well maybe WWoHP to JP. The rest of the transitions between the lands work well I think, especially Seuss Landing to Lost Continent.

If any of the Disney parks could get one big B&M or Intamin coaster that would make them unrivaled. However it wouldn't be ideal for their market, and very difficult to theme something so massive while matching the quality and detail of their other rides. Especially TDS.

Exactly--the "big thrill" crowd is not Disney's audience.

My group preferred Fuji-Q to DisneySea despite terrible ride ops and extremely slow operations.

Well, y'all have fun with that, then.

California Adventure has one of the longest Intamin coasters built...just thought I'd throw that out there

California Adventure has one of the longest Intamin coasters built...just thought I'd throw that out there

Ya I'm aware that California Screamin' is an Intamin, and a long one at that, but it seems less intense than Cheetah Hunt, which is also considered a family coaster. Now there's nothing wrong with family coasters in my book and I love Disney. I just think they don't offer big coasters (in terms of height and intensity as opposed to track length), and for good reasons. Also, I've always considered California Adventure an oddball in the Disney Resort family, as it seemed the least catered towards children. But I haven't been there in years and I'm sure the addition of Cars Land and other stuff has made it more kid friendly.

I like California Screamin'. It's a big, solid family coaster, but not a top-ten thrill machine (Cheetah Hunt is definitely the better of the two rides).

We seem to have wandered a bit afield here. Time to get back on track: DisneySea is the best theme park ever!