TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Tokyo Disneysea - The world's GREATEST themepark?

^You're entitled to your opinion. But speaking as someone who has visited both parks on more than one occasion, you just might change your mind if you ever visit DisneySea.

I hope that you'll have that opportunity someday.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm speaking from the complete opposite point of view here having been to DisneySea but not IOA and I think it's the combination of excellent rides, amazing and efficient operations and out of this world theming. The staff also contribute a lot to how well the park is received by people.

It's just a joy to wander around and take it all in.

I can see why people like like Tokyo Disneysea so much but personally I think that great theming has to have great rides to go with it and besides Journey to the Center of the Earth and Not Tower of Terror all the rides at Tokyo Disneysea would be pretty mediocre without their amazing theming.

I can see why people like like Tokyo Disneysea so much but personally I think that great theming has to have great rides to go with it and besides Journey to the Center of the Earth and Not Tower of Terror all the rides at Tokyo Disneysea would be pretty mediocre without their amazing theming.

You can not possibly know unless you have been. I'm a pessimist and wanted to hate DisneySea since I'm not a Disney park fan to begin with. I don't even need good theming to enjoy a park. However, I was completely impressed with TDS. Journey, Indy and ToT are just so well done and the customer service and clientele make for an awesome experience.

Well, the point is to provide is to immerse guests in a different environment, so, yes, the theming is essential.

^^ So I305forever... you should starting saving up NOW for a future TPR Japan Tour!

To compare, right?

123417246_ResizeofIMG_2735.JPG.f3665d6c7b8619e18a0477abfbf9ee3d.JPG

And unlike the DisneyParis version of this coaster, TDS' Raging Spirits

has smoke, and water... and FIRE! (2013 TPR Japan Tour)

Wow. The more I look at this park (and Tokyo Disneyland), the more I want to go. Apart from the seemingly out-of-place Toy Story Mania, all of these immersive attractions and the otherworldly park as a whole blow my mind. Like it doesn't even seem like a real place. As for Islands Of Adventure, I haven't been there in 10 years and never got a chance to ride Hulk or Dragon Challenge, but I've always thought it had a perfect balance of theming and thrill rides. And as a huge Harry Potter fan, I'm absolutely ecstatic to check out Hogwarts and The Forbidden Journey. But TDS seems next level magical though! How much would a TPR trip there likely cost?

^Even Toy Story Mania fits in well. They built a "trolley park" for it as part of the American Waterfront section (where Tower of Terror is located). It looks just like an amusement park from the 1920s and fits in perfectly.

Edited by cfc

^I would have put the two very close in the 1999 - 2001 time frame but the operations and potterization of that park the last five years or so has made it not even close in my mind.

I actually think Harry Potter was a good addition to IoA. Although I hate what they did with Dueling Dragons and its queue, the land itself added one of the best modern dark rides and arguably set a new standard for immersive environments at Universal. That being said, I have been to both IoA and TDS and agree that the latter is a far superior theme park. Hogsmeade, Lost Continent, and Port of Entry aside, the theming at IoA is nowhere close to the scale and level of detail found at TDS. In fact, parts of the park like Marvel Super Hero Island and Toon Lagoon look downright cheap and tacky with their abundance of cardboard cutouts.

^Even Toy Story Mania fits in well. They built a "trolley park" for it as part of the American Waterfront section (where Tower of Terror is located). It looks just like an amusement park from the 1920s and fits in perfectly.

Damn, they think of EVERYTHING!

How does the theming at Tokyo DisneyLand compare to TDS? Is it closer to the bar set by TDS or more like WDW/Original DL?

^ When Tokyo Disneyland was first designed, the Japanese wanted as much of the original Disneyland as could be fit, into this man made property. So, at the time, they got the clapboard circus tent facades for Fantasyland, same design style for Tomorrowland, and a lot of everything else was pushed together to make sure all bases were covered in approximating what the locals were enjoying In California - and Florida. They even included the train ride, although as an attraction only, and not as transport.

It's now that they've stepped back and re-examined what they originally created, as Fantasyland is now going to be larger, with property in Tomorrowland being given up, for the expansion. With more immersive theming. Like the makeover at WDW for Fantasyland there.

I don't personally believe TDL is anywhere near the immersive theming level that TDS has. And remember, there is a near 20 year difference in the creation of these two parks. But soon, maybe by 2023, there will be evident comparisons to make between the two.

I don't personally believe TDL is anywhere near the immersive theming level that TDS has. And remember, there is a near 20 year difference in the creation of these two parks. But soon, maybe by 2023, there will be evident comparisons to make between the two.

Wow I never knew any of that. And yeah it seems like the New Fantasyland at WDW and other new attractions at DL have all been a step up in theming, maybe TDS is rubbing off on all the resorts in a way

And just cause I noticed it... one of the photos you shot, eddytheviper, reminded me of an upcoming rehab that "might" include trackless technology...that being Luigi's Tires Attraction in DCA. There was rumors of a possible trackless layover, and this sort of "Aquatopia on land" you can see... well, all you have to do is replace those rides cars AS "Cars." Fill in with stop lights and signs and crazy route lines and markers - with two track circuits, like in this one, this side (it's double-sided over there in TDS).

DryAutopiaTDS.jpg.6fc35f73242591168a9e92f5092943c5.jpg

Now imagine this as in behind Luigi's Tires at DCA. Possible? Could happen. (o;

Love this TR, and any that shows TDS - greatest theme park in the world! (IMHO) Always love seeing more pictures from there.

For the guy who likes IOA - I too was a huge IOA fan. I even had an annual pass for about the first 5 years (I live in CA!) and used to go 4-5 times a year (back when r/t tix cost about $180), though operations at IOA were never stellar and/or "world class".

I had my doubts about TDS, right up till about 1 hour inside the park. Save your money and go. You'll never regret it!!

^ IOA. I think it has the perfect balance of good thrilling rides and immersive theming.

IoA is my favorite theme park too. I love it, though it certainly is not perfect. A few areas of the park are very weak to me, like the transition between Toon Lagoon and MSHI. The visible Spider-Man show building/carnival games/ugly theater make for a very poor part of the park.

That being said, I think Port of Entry is one of the best theme park entrances ever created (it certainly is my favorite). And the theming everywhere in the rest of the park is superb. I love it!!