TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WB Movie World - Riders Evacuated From Green Lantern

Brisbane resident Stephen Moss was at the popular theme park with his family and witnessed the incident.

"We were leaving and were just walking out between the main gate and the ticket office and the Green Lantern is just behind that," he said.

"There was a carriage, not at the highest point of the ride, but on the higher side, it came around the corner and we heard a big bang and it looked like some of the wheel components came off.

"There are two rows of seats in the carriage and the back row started to fall to the right. It fell about 30 degrees and my wife and I thought these people were dead. We thought it would fall, but it went about 30 degrees and then stopped.

"The people on it sort of screamed and then they were just silent."

Mr Moss said a second carriage towards the bottom of the ride, had also stopped.

"It looked like it was on the way up," he said.

"The bottom carriage also looked full, but it looks like they might be getting the people off the ride now."

He said the fire service had since set up a cherry picker and was working on getting the riders in the carriage free.

Mr Moss said theme park employees quickly cleared other riders from the area and a message alerting park goers to an issue with the ride began to play soon after.

"Just their standard message - 'something has happened with our ride and we hope to resume the ride shortly', but they stopped playing that," he said.

No one is believed to have been injured in the incident.

Movie World has been contacted for comment.

1734137796_9News.jpg.e507826c7368d8fb876ca2798411fed7.jpg

The Wheels Have Fallen Of the back car

Broken.jpg.a37d8c3f2c7f869428fbb0525bd6ac2f.jpg

Stranded Rides Leaning on a 30 degree angle

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://m.watoday.com.au/queensland/movie-worlds-green-lantern-ride-malfunctioning-leaving-people-stranded-20150315-144hx7.html

The news on tv says the ride got stuck but the footage clearly showed a wheel assembly laying on the ground, the photos also show the rear section of the car on a very dodgy angle.

All riders evacuated ok, those poor people in the back row though...

1227263488957.jpeg.0f3d655588e5aeb3fb09653c405a2cf4.jpeg

1227263598772.jpeg.c3c83db1356495f57b89e9237bf314f8.jpeg

1227263514140.jpeg.00ada9c134bda285cf016049b3915756.jpeg

1426406449523-1.jpg.cefb36e30b5f16497ec078f55f8b4e25.jpg

1426404321535.jpg.d0b027f71f624adffbe6030ada89fc18.jpg

1426408495289.jpg.84662cbedd114287576e402225a667f4.jpg

Edited by deano

^Indeed! It's not everyday that you have mechanical failures like that. Now I wonder what caused it.

That left turn before the place where it stopped must put some stress on the left wheel assemblies.

Wow! I mean, I guess we knew this could happen. But never thought it would. Glad everyone is okay. Hopefully the issues gets fixed, and the ride(s) (if similar coasters have had to close as well) are back up and running soon.

Hi All,

I was actually one of the people trapped on the ride in the upper cart in the front row. The whole cart actually derailed and we were on a lean too but the two people in the back were on more of a lean. One of them was a young girl who was very brave and as far as we know is unharmed. 3 of us in the front got hurt from impact.

It was terrifying, and this was my favourite ride at Movie World too. I felt like I could actually feel the cart slide out from the tracks and could feel the cart tipping, I thought we were starting to fall when the back cart tipped but we hung in there. There was a loud noise and when we stopped hard and suddenly I could see and hear everyone from the line screaming and running out of the line. We read in an article one of the rescuers said we were just hanging in there which is very scary to think but they were amazing and kept all of us calm and did an amazing job with the rescue.