TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR Facebook Questions

Hey everyone!

With social media growing leaps and bounds every day comes many changes that we have to adapt to and try to keep on top of. So far, I'd like to think that TPR has done a pretty good job with our social media and we have a lot of you to thank for our success in that area. So THANK YOU!

Facebook (along with YouTube) is by far the largest social media outlet we have and it is rapidly changing! Below are a few simple questions that we could use your feedback on. Please copy the questions in your reply so it's easy for us to tell which questions you are responding to. Thanks for your time!

1. Do you have your videos set to auto-play on your: a. desktop computer and/or b. mobile device?

(or if you don't know, just tell us if the videos auto-play or not in your newsfeed.)

2. Do you regularly "share" content from Facebook "page" (like the TPR page) to your own personal Facebook page? And have you shared something from the TPR page?

3. What kind of content are you most likely to share? (Videos, Photos, News Stories, etc?)

4. How long on average do you watch a video posted to Facebook for? Do you watch the entire video? First 30 seconds? Until you get bored?

5. How important are "video thumbnails" to you? (the image you see with the > Play icon before you click to watch a video)

6. What do you like/dislike about Facebook? What features do you use the most and which ones annoy you?

7. Is there anything that TPR does or doesn't do on Facebook that you think we should be doing more/less of?

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone!

1. Do you have your videos set to auto-play on your: a. desktop computer b. mobile device?

(or if you don't know, just tell us if the videos auto-play or not in your newsfeed.) Both.

2. Do you regularly "share" content from Facebook "page" (like the TPR page) to your own personal Facebook page? And have you shared something from the TPR page? A few times a week. Most of my coaster friends on Facebook are TPR people so not often.

3. What kind of content are you most likely to share? (Videos, Photos, News Stories, etc?) Oddball news or OMFG WTF were they thinking.

4. How long on average do you watch a video posted to Facebook for? Do you watch the entire video? First 30 seconds? Until you get bored? Until I get bored which is usually after 20 seconds

5. How important are "video thumbnails" to you? (the image you see with the > Play icon before you click to watch a video) Attention grabber, if it looks boring, I'll pass.

6. What do you like/dislike about Facebook? What features do you use the most and which ones annoy you? It's become cluttered with crap, rarely see posts from pages I like unless I frequent a particular site often which updates ye ol cookie and bam, I see that sites' facebook posts. Plus, lots of stupid out there. It's great for messaging(use often) and finding people but of late the trend is that the younger generation are migrating to Instagram with a connector to Facebook. Twitter for me is more no-nonsense.

7. Is there anything that TPR does or doesn't do on Facebook that you think we should be doing more/less of? Need more 'roasts' via Q&A sessions

1. Yes. But I should probably turn it off, it messes with my bandwidth.

2. No, facebook is usually for personal stuff.

3. News stories, maybe if somebody I knew got interviewed/featured or something.

4. I usually skip intros, get to a POV if there is one, and move on.

5. Very. If it looks irrelevant to the title I usually skip it.

6. I hate having the same few stories show up in my newsfeed from having friends with similar interests who share from the same sources. Don't use facebook that often though.

7. Please post more construction updates.

1. Do you have your videos set to auto-play on your: a. desktop computer b. mobile device?

(or if you don't know, just tell us if the videos auto-play or not in your newsfeed.)

Mobile device.

2. Do you regularly "share" content from Facebook "page" (like the TPR page) to your own personal Facebook page? And have you shared something from the TPR page?

Yes, yes

3. What kind of content are you most likely to share? (Videos, Photos, News Stories, etc?)

Videos, news and link to forums

4. How long on average do you watch a video posted to Facebook for? Do you watch the entire video? First 30 seconds? Until you get bored?

As long as I think I got what I'm interested in. Usually 80% of the video.

5. How important are "video thumbnails" to you? (the image you see with the > Play icon before you click to watch a video)

Not very important

6. What do you like/dislike about Facebook? What features do you use the most and which ones annoy you?

None

7. Is there anything that TPR does or doesn't do on Facebook that you think we should be doing more/less of?

Everything is great, maybe some more parks/rides/etc related games like Coaster Roulette would get people more excited.

(or if you don't know, just tell us if the videos auto-play or not in your newsfeed.) Auto play on desktop, Clink on Mobile when not connected to Wi-FI.

2. Do you regularly "share" content from Facebook "page" (like the TPR page) to your own personal Facebook page? And have you shared something from the TPR page? Regular, no. But i have.

3. What kind of content are you most likely to share? (Videos, Photos, News Stories, etc?) News Stories

4. How long on average do you watch a video posted to Facebook for? Do you watch the entire video? First 30 seconds? Until you get bored? Until i get bored, usually less than 30 seconds.

5. How important are "video thumbnails" to you? (the image you see with the > Play icon before you click to watch a video) Will only click if i can see the thumbnail

6. What do you like/dislike about Facebook? What features do you use the most and which ones annoy you? Dislike "Clickbait" and most comments made by people.

1. Do you have your videos set to auto-play on your: a. desktop computer and/or b. mobile device?

a) They auto-play on my desktop.

b) No auto-play on my mobile device.

Once in a while I'll share something. Usually if it's a part of a contest (BoC). I'll also share the videos that have already gone"viral".

I'll share just about anything, but mostly news stories and videos. Not so much photos.

Depends on the video. Most news releases I'll watch the whole thing, but as far as POV's not so much. I'll usually watch for about a minute.

Not that important, but I won't watch anything that doesn't have a thumbnail.

Not a fan of FB not showing me the posts of pages that I like. But I do understand that they want to make money and advertising is a huge moneymaker for them.

Nope, I pretty much search it out and love what you guys post. I'm particularly fond of the times when you point out how ignorant other people are!

1. Yes, on both

2. Yes

3. Videos & News

4. Full video

5. Thumbnails are pretty important. I normally will not click on a video without a thumbnail.

6. I'm not fond of the fb messenger app.

7.No. I enjoy all of the posts from TPR!

No mobile device (my cell is a flip phone) . . but I do NOT have them set to Auto-play on my computer. I have to click play to trigger them.

I occasionally share content from Facebook with my friends via my own page (but rarely post to a friend's wall something).

I have shared many things from TPR, but always on my own page.

I tend to share Videos from TPR.

News stories (mainly political) from other places.

typically most of the way thru, unless I really like it, in which case, I watch it multiple times (and then end up sharing)

I'd say VERY important. It's the "hook" to make me want to click on the video!

Hmm. . I guess I like that my settings tell me when someone responds to my comments/posts? But really, I'm not the person who will give you a good answer here. . I'm not super adventurous, so once my partner set me up on FB, I just use the settings I have and get used to them.

I LOVE the irreverent attitude, in particular on the FB posts.. . but I know that a lot of folks simply *don't* get it.

what would I like to see more (some) of?

I'd LOVE to see videos from inside some of the restaurants, or of the food options at the parks. . particularly EPCOT food and wine. . would kill to see the real time reactions and descriptions of some of the foods y'all are trying!

would kill to see the real time reactions and descriptions of some of the foods y'all are trying!

Great! We'll get you a list of people and then we'll get right on posting that content!

just make sure they aren't in Austin. . we have a plastic bag ban here, and I'd hate to waste my TPR reusable bags on body parts

Autoplay on both.

Not regularly, I have shared content from TPR that I see in my newsfeed to my own timeline.

Videos most likely. But to be honest I click news stories more - I just don't share them. So if this is just about sharing, it's videos, but not often. I will quicker actually try and get a direct link to a video and just message the direct video link to someone, instead of cluttering everyone's newsfeed :/

On Facebook I watch about 60 percent of a video I think, but to be honest, I skip more than I actually watch x seconds from start to whenever. So I often directly skip to a part I'm interested in (when it takes too long with intro's or building up) when I'm at work.

I will use the "watch later" button if it's a YouTube video on FB and I'm interested in watching the whole piece.

I'd like to say they're not important, but I think they are. I do like an actual video thumbnail, and I do not like the "YOU WONT BELIEVE HOW THIS DONKEY FARTS POPTARTS LIKE CRAZY" clickbait thumbnails - although I do think that they "work" for Facebook/Youtube residents.

I like scrolling my newsfeed, getting my daily intake of Kotaku and Gizmodo without actually visiting their website to check up on updates there. Facebook's automatic thinking of what it's showing me or not showing me seems to work fine for me, although I probably don't even know what I'm missing most of the time. It annoys me that it has this "most popular" way of sorting, which I always disable when I have to.

I don't like it when I like a video, check the comments and it's all just people referring to each other.

I "like" dumb comments on TPR videos as they might spark a witty Robb comment which I enjoy reading. But for that I can always just go to any random TPR YouTube video and dive into the hell that is YouTube Comments there.

For serious conversations and read-ups on rides/parks this here is a much better place to check out and read. Or post. The latter I don't do that often though.

For your own piece of mind I would not engage in dumb comments, but then again, I do like reading those engagements. Plus, they should be told off too. Bah!

I'd enjoy less big letter texts as video thumbs, but I completely understand the need for them.

I'd enjoy more pointing toward trip reports from Facebook. I enjoy the Monday emails. And I believe some of them are posted to your FB page already. Maybe FB decides not to show them to me that often though.

All in all I'm very happy and satisfied with TPR's Facebook!

Edited by AJMouse

1. Do you have your videos set to auto-play on your: a. desktop computer and/or b. mobile device? No

2. Do you regularly "share" content from Facebook "page" (like the TPR page) to your own personal Facebook page? And have you shared something from the TPR page? Yes

3. What kind of content are you most likely to share? (Videos, Photos, News Stories, etc?) POV Videos

4. How long on average do you watch a video posted to Facebook for? Do you watch the entire video? First 30 seconds? Until you get bored? Entire video, if steady. If it shakes a lot, usually go to the next

5. How important are "video thumbnails" to you? (the image you see with the > Play icon before you click to watch a video) Very. If it looks interesting, I play it

6. What do you like/dislike about Facebook? What features do you use the most and which ones annoy you? Ads and game requests

7. Is there anything that TPR does or doesn't do on Facebook that you think we should be doing more/less of? No. I really enjoy the posts

NO. No autoplay.

I rarely SHARE content.

News Stories

Until I get bored

A thumbnail will often illicit my desire to see the whole video

I dont know the difference

NO. I'm happy with the content TPR posts to facebook. However, TPR's presence on Facebook has kept me away from the TPR website. Perhaps use Facebook more as a teaser and/or link to the main site.

]I like scrolling my newsfeed, getting my daily intake of Kotaku and Gizmodo without actually visiting their website to check up on updates there.

NO. I'm happy with the content TPR posts to facebook. However, TPR's presence on Facebook has kept me away from the TPR website. Perhaps use Facebook more as a teaser and/or link to the main site.

These are both VERY important and key pieces of information that we are looking for. The reality is this - people ARE migrating away from many online "websites" and gravitating more to social media to get their updates. So being on top of both things while maintaining the website is very important to us.

We have actually seen an uptick on website and forum traffic since we started focusing more on social media. Both of these statements are very important to us and it's something we are actively pursuing. Thank you!

Edited by robbalvey

(or if you don't know, just tell us if the videos auto-play or not in your newsfeed.) Mobile device

I have shared content before and I do like pictures as well. When Goliath came out at Six Flags Great America, I shared a ton of videos.

3. What kind of content are you most likely to share? (Videos, Photos, News Stories, etc?) Videos and pictures

4. How long on average do you watch a video posted to Facebook for? Do you watch the entire video? First 30 seconds? Until you get bored? Usually the whole video. I love roller coasters so much

5. How important are "video thumbnails" to you? (the image you see with the > Play icon before you click to watch a video) I think they are very important and give a really cool preview of what I am about to see.

6. What do you like/dislike about Facebook? What features do you use the most and which ones annoy you? I don't like the ads, but they are necessary. Usually, I just read the news feed. I don't post very often.

7. Is there anything that TPR does or doesn't do on Facebook that you think we should be doing more/less of? I would love to see more awesome coaster videos and pictures to hype things up.

I'm particularly fond of the times when you point out how ignorant other people are!

Might be the best feedback today!

Glad I could be of service to you! It's the disdain for other people that strengthens the friendships we all make! (Well, at least for me anyway)

1. Both auto-play off. It annoys me when a video I am not interested in starts playing.

2. Very rarely. If I am in the video or even more rarely if I have been on or will be on the ride. (Will not make much difference as I only have 87 friends )

3. Videos / Photos. See 2 above.

4. The entire video. (Fast forward the lift hill....)

5. Important. Draws me in.

6. I just flick through the news feed two or three times a day. Due to the clutter I often miss stuff.

7. No.

Yes on Mobile, I NEVER use FB on Desktop

2. Do you regularly "share" content from Facebook "page" (like the TPR page) to your own personal Facebook page?

I have shared TPR stuff, but I don't often share things.

Videos or Photos.

The whole thing or until the video gets stupid (not the case with TPR)

5. How important are "video thumbnails" to you?

If it doesn't autoplay, then somewhat important. I wouldn't click on it unless it looked interesting, but most videos autoplay.

I HATE HATE HATE "Click to see 10 amazing secrets", "You will never guess what happened when..." and stuff like that. It's the downfall of the FB.

I like the stuff TPR does on Facebook. Maybe more guess this coaster/ride stuff?? No prize necessary.

Edited by Moose

They auto-play on the iOS app, which I don't like.

Nope.

Only the occasional internet article here and there.

I usually scrub through the video first, and if I see something I like I watch the entire video.

Meaningless, and some thumbnails even annoy me (see question 7).

Advertisements are stupid.

I'm not a big fan of "sensationalist" video thumbnails in general, so I'd like to see Theme Park Review do less of those (example: 40 Story Drop Ride! OMG!!!), especially considering that the thumbnail still is shamelessly slapped on at the end of the video for ten seconds or so, making the videos seem longer than they actually are.

Yes

2. Do you regularly "share" content from Facebook "page" (like the TPR page) to your own personal Facebook page? And have you shared something from the TPR page? I have shared posts before but I do not share them regularly. It's not just because it is TPR, it's because I don't share many posts of anyones.

3. What kind of content are you most likely to share? (Videos, Photos, News Stories, etc?) I share the news stories, big announcements the most.

4. How long on average do you watch a video posted to Facebook for? Do you watch the entire video? First 30 seconds? Until you get bored? If it is a video I have not seen, I usually watch the entire video. If I have seen it before, I either skip it or just watch a few seconds of it.

5. How important are "video thumbnails" to you? (the image you see with the > Play icon before you click to watch a video) Not important at all especially since I auto play the videos

6. What do you like/dislike about Facebook? What features do you use the most and which ones annoy you? I do love the auto play and I always like the TPR posts. There is not much I don't like about Facebook, I don't use it enough to become annoyed with it.

7. Is there anything that TPR does or doesn't do on Facebook that you think we should be doing more/less of? Link to more of the forums to get more discussion. This has been significantly improved lately though

Overall I think TPR does a great job with the social media. I really enjoy the addition of snapchat.

I'm not a big fan of "sensationalist" video thumbnails in general, so I'd like to see Theme Park Review do less of those (example: 40 Story Drop Ride! OMG!!!), especially considering that the thumbnail still is shamelessly slapped on at the end of the video for ten seconds or so, making the videos seem longer than they actually are.

I hear you! And I hate that we have to do that too, but here's the reality of things - we have done "version a/version b" comparisons with the same video with and without thumbnails and attention-grabbing text. The difference in views, likes, comments, and shares is staggering. We wouldn't have had some of our videos go viral if it wasn't for those thumbnails. So as much as I do agree with you, we are in the position that we kind of HAVE to do them, and then of course hope the content that the wrapper is packaged in stands on its own, and what we've seen from the feedback is that it does. End of the day, we are producing good content (I hope) and we aren't posting garbage clickbait crap that you see other sites post.

On your other note, the thumbnail isn't "shamelessly slapped on the end", it's put there functionally because Facebook does not allow you to select a specific frame from the video or upload an image to choose as a thumbnail. It selects 10 random frames from your video and gives you those to choose from. So we HAVE to put the thumbnail at the end for a certain percentage length of time based on the entire length of the video to guarantee we can get that thumbnail to show up as one of our ten choices.

Honestly, out of the literally MILLIONS of comments we have now had on our videos, the thumbnail complaint has come up maybe five times so I'm not sure it's something we need to be too concerned about, but I felt an explanation was at least warranted.

Edited by robbalvey

^ It is for me as well. Trust me, there are many things that Facebook does that are VERY annoying for content creators that I wish worked better (or at least worked as well as YouTube does when it comes to videos), but we have to find work-arounds, and that thumbnail at the end of a video is unfortunately one of them.

I don't always auto play videos, but when i do, it's prefer my computer.

Stay classy, my friends.

Edit: Oh, you meant Facebook timeline instead of YouTube playlists?! Then no, I turn it off.

No, and no.

News stories, or retweeting photos/videos mainly.

Depends on the type of content, regardless if it autoplays or not.

Very important, except when words cover about or more than half of the image.

My honest opinion about Facebook in general: I can't help but feel like every post on my timeline is always trying to lead me out of Facebook and onto another website, or trying to sell me something. It's just plastered with posts/links trying to get the most of my attention, which gets quite overwhelming for me and is part of the reason why I don't like using Facebook. Funny how when you're using Facebook as a "page," you don't see any advertisements.

Nothing major. Maybe feature more content made by users on the TPR forums?

Edited by Midgetman82