TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alaska Cruise

coasterchitchat

Hey Elissa and Robb,

This past December, I took my parents on a Western Carribean cruise the Carnival Glory (won't go on a Carnival cruise again.) I am in my mid 20s while my parents are in their upper 50s (if that helps.) For a couple of years, we have had plans to go on an Alaskan cruise. I would like this to be the year that happens. Do you guys have any tips on how to plan the trip?

I am pretty much starting from a blank slate and would like to know what is the best option for doing this Alaska cruise. I am thinking of going to Anchorage, explore, then go on the cruise. Also, I would prefer avoiding Princess and Holland America as my friends, and coworkers have told me to avoid those ships since they filled with older people.

Thanks

Henry

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things:

- Do one of the 7 day north or southbound cruises.

- Do NOT do a round trip cruise.

- Royal Caribbean sounds like it would be good for you and your family, but don't totally rule out Princess as they are a staple of Alaska.

- We prefer the Northbound itinerary as it gets more and more impressive each day.

- Anchorage isn't that amazing, but if you have time add on Denali for two days.

- Budget for shore excursions as they're much more expensive than their Caribbean counterparts.

Have fun! We loved our Alaska cruise last year and will certainly do another one again soon!

Got it, thanks!

I happened to look on Royal Carribean's websites and they only have the Radiance of the Seas and Jewel of of the Seas sailing out of Alaska. Which one is better? I happened to look on Cruise Critic and it seems that they are both equally same in guest reviews BUT the site gives Jewel of the Seas a higher rating than Radiance of the Seas even though Radiance got a refit in 2011 while Jewel is newer.

I know Elissa said not to do round trip, but we loved our 7 day round trip sailing from Vancouver up to Hubbard Glacier (with stops in Kechikan, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, and Skagway) on Celebrity.

Great food too.