TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Looks like CNN is going after zoos now.

It looks like CNN is at it again....

http://www.cnn.com/shows/inside-man/?sr=fb020515insideman11aspageVideo

Should animals be held in captivity? Find out what role zoos play in today's world with Morgan Spurlock tonight on ‪#‎InsideMan‬ at 9 ET/PT on CNN.

I find it amusing that they continue to bash sea life parks and now zoos, but they are partners with them. Just look no further than the ticket page if you were interested in visiting CNN in Atlanta.

http://www.citypass.com/atlanta?mv_source=insidecnn

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The anti-Zoo/aquarium argument to me is the same argument anti-vaxxies use. There's plenty of data to support and demonstrate the positives, there's plenty of data to demonstrate the negatives that would occur without such institutions, but none of that matters because science is a lie and feelings are real.

Also, lets be real. There's some pretty despicably run zoos in the world that SHOULD be shut down since they abuse animals. But do they go after those? No, they're more content to go after places like Sea World, which is not only really well maintained and provides greatly for their animals, but they do a TON of conservation and environmental work...

Don't even get me started on that insanely-bias "Black Fish" movie, which "interviewed" a bunch of trainers, then cut down the interviews in a way that most of the trainers claims makes them look like they're saying the literal opposite of what they actually said. They also conveniently left out all the people they interviewed who ONLY contradicted their agenda, and even the family of the girl killed has distanced themselves from the movie calling it "a non-accurate portrayal of events."

To be fair, Morgan Spurlock's show is very different than say a Blackfish documentary and is a lot more lighthearted. Basically he tries doing a different job in each episode. I saw the episode awhile back where he picked fruit in Florida for a day and it was pretty interesting. I will reserve judgement until the episode airs and I see it.

^I know what you mean. I sat through Super-size Me and was, of course, shocked at the "revelation" that eating at McDonald's for three meals per day for a month made his gain a lot of weight and screwed up his health. Then again, that James O'Keefe guy--the right-wing "documentary maker" (more like a "shock jock")--is still in business, even though he's broken the law a number of times and frequently distorts the truth or tells outright lies.

I guess it all depends which side of the political fence you're on.

The anti-Zoo/aquarium argument to me is the same argument anti-vaxxies use. There's plenty of data to support and demonstrate the positives, there's plenty of data to demonstrate the negatives that would occur without such institutions, but none of that matters because science is a lie and feelings are real.

The entire Zoo/Animal Rights Debate on both sides isn't a Scientific Debate, but an Ethical Debate. I'm not exactly sure where I stand on the issue as while I know that Sea World and a couple of the really high quality zoos do a lot of great work in helping animals, a lot of the really crappy zoos and Sea World Knock-Offs definitely harm animals and make me feel uncomfortable. But even if I'm not on the Anti-Zoo side, it's still a legit ethical position and I definitely think the debate should happen (though I also think Morgan Spurlock isn't the best person to host this debate).

Plus, even if the Anti-Zoo people win and zoos and aquariums are outlawed everywhere, nobody is going to get sick and die, unlike if Anti-Vaxxiers got their way.

Plus, even if the Anti-Zoo people win and zoos and aquariums are outlawed everywhere, nobody is going to get sick and die, unlike if Anti-Vaxxiers got their way.

Well, quite a few species would go extinct thanks to humans hunting them or destroying their habitat. Zoos and breeding programs are keeping several species alive and off of the endangered/threatened lists.

^I know what you mean. I sat through Super-size Me and was, of course, shocked at the "revelation" that eating at McDonald's for three meals per day for a month made his gain a lot of weight and screwed up his health. Then again, that James O'Keefe guy--the right-wing "documentary maker" (more like a "shock jock")--is still in business, even though he's broken the law a number of times and frequently distorts the truth or tells outright lies.

I guess it all depends which side of the political fence you're on.

I found super size me to be kinda lame too but it's what launched his career and he/they edited it pretty well. The greatest movie ever sold is more interesting and I've liked most of his episodes before. I've only watched the first two parts of this zoo episode of Inside Man and well its not making zoo's look good but I still got around 35-40 mins to watch. Morgan likely knows CNN or even himself are trying to make things look worse then they really are, but I don't think he's taking this episode too seriously as he did like in the hospital in bangkok from last week's.

While I don't agree with Morgan Suprlock on somethings, I really do like his style of filming and editing. That all said Blackfish is easily worse then this episode thus far.

::update:: Just watched the rest of the episode in question and the later half of it focused on a place with what looked like to be less standards then the Detroit zoo though after a few mins the guy who owns and runs the place seems plenty capable of taking care of animals. The end of the episode took place at a animal sanctuary where elephants had plenty of open arces in california to do whatever they want in a place then general public can't visit. It does seem like Morgan suggests to viewers that keeping animals captivity and breeding them just to keep them captive is a bad thing and i'm not 100% certain he fully believes that himself either.

Also about the whole zoo thing in general, there;s certainly worse places then seaworld and other places in the middle ground. It's not a 100% black and white issue and that's what people who champion Blackfish fail to see or admit to. Watching blackfish and this episode will not even make a person close to a expert on the matter and at the end of the day all CNN is caring about is ratings, not about the animals featured in Blackfish or this episode of Inside Man.