TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Planet Coaster (PLC) Discussion Thread

I've loved the game going back many months now, and obviously the textures/art feel is very good, but I still haven't seen a total package in terms of a realistic coaster design with proper banking, angles, and smooth transitions. I also think that there is a bit of sameness to the feel of coasters, regardless of type. I've seen a few generic hypers touted on YouTube as being realistic, but they're so benign, with one straight-as-an-arrow drop after another, that I don't have a feel for how well or easily we can mimic the design tendencies of real manufacturers.

Keep in mind that the coaster editor people have been using was far from finished and only enabled with a cheat code. The upcoming alpha build next week will include a more full-featured editor. I think it'll be safer to judge after people have had some time with it.

That being said, I think I've managed to create some realistic rides with the current editor. I'll attach some pictures. It's a little finicky, but after you play with it enough you can start to create some really good stuff.

617059306_Screenshot2016-05-1922_26_38.thumb.png.737e7d0e4226514b5b8b90312aa853d8.png

Managed to create a somewhat realistic B&M Giga.

1887226859_Screenshot2016-05-1922_27_28.thumb.png.aed36a895e4bf460ba050f5a267bea9f.png

B&M Floorless. Took some liberties with this one.

465372081_Screenshot2016-05-1922_28_17.thumb.png.1974ef1b9ed2f7f8b112f68f56056a7e.png

Tried to do a hyper-lite kind of thing.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have a macbook pro. I am seriously thinking of partitioning my hard drive, and installing windows just to download this game. It is really a game changer. So far everything I've seen from PLC is better than RCTW.

So I have a macbook pro. I am seriously thinking of partitioning my hard drive, and installing windows just to download this game. It is really a game changer. So far everything I've seen from PLC is better than RCTW.

A doorless toaster-oven is better than RCTW.

It really is a lot easier to smooth things out. I think that the simulator part of it needs to be smoothed out a bit more. They are on the right path right now so I have no doubts these things will get worked out.

I am still waiting to be able to make custom inversions. I don't really care for the in game ones much.

They've released an update to "alpha 2" (0.2.1) which brings a huge improvement to the coaster builder. We now have an optional heartline feature, and a really, really good smoothing function. The coaster builder has gotten so much better with this update. The fatal flaw being that vertical track, custom inversions, and banking beyond 90 degrees are still not possible. The builder is good otherwise, but unless these limits are removed, PC will never be a good fit for coaster builders. Looking at the nolimits and tps projects I've done over the years, most of them would not be possible using the PC editor.

They've done great things with this update... I just don't understand why they think we need limits to how we bend our tracks. Hopefully they choose to resolve this.

Here is a coaster I put together very quickly to test the smoothing capabilities. I should have done a before and after pov- the smoothing is seriously handy. The only parts of the ride that are not good are the prebuilt inversions... because you can't fix them or make your own... you just have to deal with it.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

The newly improved smoothing tool is fantastic and I've already made some really neat things with it.

If you use it right and know how to exploit the game's various bugfeatures, you can even make your own custom elements.

Hopefully this will be made even easier by the time the game comes out.

yay.thumb.jpg.3523a3134a00d8b803fd48c6c894d787.jpg

I'm really looking forward to being able to run multiple trains. Something I'm excited to test out is Disney-like ride operations. With the number of guests we can see in our parks, being that they do come in realistic numbers, high capacity rides could end up being beneficial.

Also curious, has there been any word on dual loading stations? Either side by side or one in front of the other(maverick/TTD)?

^^Your inversions look great! I've been playing around with custom inversions on a few different coasters yesterday. The result has been pretty great, I just wish there was an easier way to build them.... That said, I guess I'm glad Frontier hasn't patched the bug that allows this.

After finally getting some hours in with PC, I've gotten more used to the coaster builder... and It's pretty great. It's just so easy to get a smooth track- it's ridiculous. I would like longer segments at times, and I still have to complain about the inversion thing... But overall they've done a great job with it.

Here's a dive machine I built. I'm going to have to build more, I want to design one with a longer layout, but I was running out of momentum with this one.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

The smoother tool in the game improved so much, it's incredible. Now they just need to unlock the ability to curve track in any direction you want. The restrictions feel a bit pointless.

PC13.thumb.png.4d3009cb1f28d03881fa83c14470a221.png

I'm not done theming it yet, but I'm very happy with how the layout turned up.

PC15.thumb.png.254b66e7d9fc203ef6f736bfbb9fc4ae.png

So these are just a few pictures I wanted to personally share with you guys from a game I have just been slowly plugging away at. I'm playing in sandbox so really just been having fun with the game.

Definitely would love feedback.

Also, is anyone else having the same issue where the preset flat rides seem to have the most popularity? You can see the kiddie Ferris Wheel in one of my pictures that the line is insane. It is always like this with any of the flats. Meanwhile my coaster queues never have a wait lol.

Let me know what yall think!

PC1.jpg.thumb.jpg.39b0825fb9803cd3d9ed99ea2b108cf7.jpg

My attempt at a flying coaster

1818920135_PlanetCoaster2016-06-0400-49-11-73jpg.thumb.jpg.5c815390fabad3b344cb0a91c2108cbf.jpg

Another angle of flyer

1220809899_piratethemeattempt.thumb.jpg.0d088314beaeb3500dd779716d1bcc61.jpg

attempt at a pirate theme kids area

132387415_pretzelloop.thumb.jpg.1484dd171cab00f9096b6fbfc02d20ef.jpg

close up of pretzel loop finally accomplished!

273328468_sunsetflyer.thumb.jpg.ddcabbd51e71ccc4ee2323ede87c3b93.jpg

Flyer at night

From reddit.

QgD3PHQ.jpg

65CZaOt.jpg

dOiBzwK.jpg

love the way you can use those semi-hidden paths. Together with a fairy/medieval theme down the line (as well as terrain sculpting), they would enable some pretty good fantasy compositions.