TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Planet Coaster (PLC) Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first livestream about alpha 2 is out. This one deals with changes to guests and pathing after player feedback from alpha 1.

Transcript of the livestream.

And the development videos shown inside.

Yessss, circular stairwells = realistic clocktowers! Also, was that a new ride I saw? It even sounds like the real thing.

^^^^ I could totally see that being played in a motion simulator. Looks awesome!

So I just have to post because I'm really impressed and happy to see that Planet Coaster is also representing every walk of life. The people in the game are so unique and individual that we are even seeing same sex couples. This makes me incredibly happy and am so glad to see it's becoming so normal now that even games are implementing!

I've loved the game going back many months now, and obviously the textures/art feel is very good, but I still haven't seen a total package in terms of a realistic coaster design with proper banking, angles, and smooth transitions. I also think that there is a bit of sameness to the feel of coasters, regardless of type. I've seen a few generic hypers touted on YouTube as being realistic, but they're so benign, with one straight-as-an-arrow drop after another, that I don't have a feel for how well or easily we can mimic the design tendencies of real manufacturers.

I see many fantasy designs that were built to show off scenery prowess instead of the coasters themselves. Many uploaded coasters have lots of under-banking and too much sprawl (better than, but not totally unlike, RCTW designs). It's also too obvious to me when a drop is a stretched single segment or an incongruous series of segments. On the other hand, I see parts of layouts here and there that do look tremendous.

- Do players simply need more time to master the editor and understand its quirks?

- Does the editor itself make true realism (a B&M design that feels like a B&M) difficult?

- It could also be that many YouTube uploaders are gamers first, and coaster fans second or not even at all. That might explain why so many uploads lean toward imaginative fantasy over realism. Anyone have another take?

I've probably watched 100 ways that uploaders have cleverly incorporated the pop-out Kraken, but not too many well-executed, realistic designs.

I've loved the game going back many months now, and obviously the textures/art feel is very good, but I still haven't seen a total package in terms of a realistic coaster design with proper banking, angles, and smooth transitions. I also think that there is a bit of sameness to the feel of coasters, regardless of type. I've seen a few generic hypers touted on YouTube as being realistic, but they're so benign, with one straight-as-an-arrow drop after another, that I don't have a feel for how well or easily we can mimic the design tendencies of real manufacturers.

I see many fantasy designs that were built to show off scenery prowess instead of the coasters themselves. Many uploaded coasters have lots of under-banking and too much sprawl (better than, but not totally unlike, RCTW designs). It's also too obvious to me when a drop is a stretched single segment or an incongruous series of segments. On the other hand, I see parts of layouts here and there that do look tremendous.

- Do players simply need more time to master the editor and understand its quirks?

- Does the editor itself make true realism (a B&M design that feels like a B&M) difficult?

- It could also be that many YouTube uploaders are gamers first, and coaster fans second or not even at all. That might explain why so many uploads lean toward imaginative fantasy over realism. Anyone have another take?

I've probably watched 100 ways that uploaders have cleverly incorporated the pop-out Kraken, but not too many well-executed, realistic designs.

I think that the reason for what you are seeing has to do with the state of the coaster builder as it was released (not really, added as a cheat code) in alpha 1. We only got two track types to work with, a limited number of cars (mis-matched to the track pieces), a basic editor with a lot of features missing like the ability to select and edit multiple parts in the track, no resizing of set pieces, no working boosters, a bugged PoV camera in the horizontal axis that produced jerky ride-ons, no tunneling, no custom inversions (unless you do something like this), no re-coloring options, no launchers etc etc.

This is the reason I think that Frontier didn't even want to show the coaster builder on alpha 1.

Hopefully, things are changing soon...a preview..

I really like the option btw to set/change the actual bank pivot height (you can see the option in the second video).

ps: Yes, the embarking animations will not be present in alpha2. They are working on them.

Edited by Dante80