TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What do you think of Fast Passes?

Do you like and use Fast Passes at theme Parks?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like and use Fast Passes at theme Parks?

• Yes, I like them and I use them often
    • I think it is cool that parks offer something like that, but I don't use them
    • I use them but I don't really like the concept
    • I don't like them

I'm wondering if you like Fast Passes at Theme Parks or not. Because some people like them, others not, because you pay that you can jump the line.

Personally, I like them and I use them often. That is because I HATE waiting in a line, I think many people hate that too. I also use them because if I only have one day for a big park which it is crowded, I still want to ride all major attractions and you nearly can't do that without a fast pass in one day!

Otherwise if I look at the people in the regular line and they see the same person riding a coaster a few times, while they're still waiting in line to ride this coaster!

Other people say that fast passes make a cut between poor and rich and that is also a bit true, but that is the same, for example at the hotels. The rich ones sleep in a Hotel suite, the people with not so much money in a motel or inn.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I saw a thread about this topic before but honestly can't remember now.

I will use a Fast Pass every time I go to a park I haven't visited and more than likely won't visit for a long time. A bunch of friends and I drive 11 hours to get to Cedar or Kings so there is no way we are standing in long lines all day after spending the time to drive all that way.

I haven't bought one in quite a while because I almost always go to parks on off days. Even though I don't get them often, I fully support them because if you're making a long trip to get to park and you can only spend one day there, wouldn't you want to make the most of your time? I'm not annoyed by the people that use them because, unless it's a low capacity ride, it usually has little to no effect on the normal line.

Edited by VF15

I hate them. I think it is extremely hypocritical of parks to threaten to eject people for line jumping, but then turn around and completely condone it if you essentially bribe them by buying a fast pass. It also looks bad because it shows that parks don't care about their guest experience, they only care about money and are completely happy to give specialized treatment to some guests and make the experience worse for others. The only fast passes that i am somewhat okay with are the ones that still make you wait the same time, but let you do other things instead of wait in line. I am so glad Kentucky Kingdom does not have fast passes as any park that does cares more about money than fairness, guest experience, and essentially breaks their own rules.

I think that they are great if you only have one day to do a busy park, or drive a long way to visit one. Otherwise they're kind of a waste of money. And I agree that they do draw a line between classes. To say that $50 isn't a lot of money is a matter of perspective. It's a hefty price not worth paying to a lot of people.

Once you pay to get into the park you should get the same experience as other paying people. It would be one thing if having a selection of people who can pay for a better experience doesn't hurt others, but with every seat that is set aside for people who pay more, that's longer that everyone else who paid general admission has to wait.

if they weren't available, i'd probably really rethink my coaster excursions. traveling from california, it's not really cheap to go to cedar point. but, i'll pay extra to be sure i can ride a decent amount. i hadn't been to sfga since raging bull was new, had it not been for the flash pass, i would have ridden only a few rides.

i've never bought one at sfmm, or knott's near me, because i hit them on off peak days. i understand the disappointment because of them, but it doesn't really bother me at my home parks.

I rarely use them (except at Disney) but I think they are good when you are going to a park that you only get to once a year or even less than that. I have never been to Cedar Point and whenever I get there, I'm not going to even think twice about getting Fast Lane since I want to get in as many rides as possible.

I wouldn't use them at my home parks because I go so often and if I happen to go on a day it's crowded when I wasn't expecting it to be, I can always just go back another day. Also because at Dorney, you hardly ever see anyone using Fast Lane so it's a non issue there (and lines are almost always short) and at Great Adventure I like how with all coasters except Skull Mountain and Runaway Mine Train, the Flash Pass lines merge at or before the station so you don't have people going up the exit taking your row. The downside to that for Flash Pass users is that they still have somewhat of a wait. At Kingda Ka for example, it could still be a 20 - 25 minute wait after the Flash Pass merge point.

I guess they are OK if you are visiting a park for your first/last time and unlikely to get back as it gives you a chance to ride everything. They work well at Disney, but most of the times I use something like this is at a Merlin park where I hate the concept as it seems to create queues that wouldn't have been there if it wasn't for Fastrack. I would rather them install high capacity rides rather than try and get you to spend yet more money on top of admission.

I love them. I will absolutely budget any sort of skip-the-line pass at any park I go to, including my home park, because I'm not very patient, get bored easily, and I don't go to a park to stand in line. I'm more willing to wait inline/not buy one @ GAdv since I go so often and have ridden everything there already, but if there are 30min/1hour+ lines I'm usually buying one. If I can afford it, it's hard to resist. They are great @ GAdv because you only really need the gold pass, I've had really good days of constant riding with a regular pass also. I just hate waiting.

I rarely buy Quick Queue at Busch Gardens Williamsburg because it's my home park, but I've seen no evidence that "stand-by" lines are any longer because of it. Part of this probably has to do with good operations, and BGW also designates specific rows for Quick Queue on Alpengeist and Apollo's Chariot.

You might be able to make a case for Quick Queue making lines for Howl-o-Scream mazes a bit longer, but that's about it--and even that depends on the maze.

I've never bought one, and never will (unless on a TPR trip where they are supplied; or in a situation like Disney where everyone is on equal footing and everyone can make use of it).

I have no issue standing in line, and that's part of the theme park experience. When we go on trips, if it's a park we think will be crowded, we budget the time in for it so we can experience what we like.

for example, we planned on using the evening before early admission at Hershey Park to go on a few things that we expected to have big lines the next day. Then we used the next day to ride everything else.

I don't like (at all) the idea that someone can pay extra and get "better" / "quicker" service than everyone else.

sorry.

I rarely buy Quick Queue at Busch Gardens Williamsburg because it's my home park, but I've seen no evidence that "stand-by" lines are any longer because of it. Part of this probably has to do with good operations, and BGW also designates specific rows for Quick Queue on Alpengeist and Apollo's Chariot.

You might be able to make a case for Quick Queue making lines for Howl-o-Scream mazes a bit longer, but that's about it--and even that depends on the maze.

we're likely doing BGW this year, and I'm planning two days for it with no quickqueue (then a 1 day drive up to King's Dominion). . . followed by 2-3 days in Washington, DC.

do yo think 2 days is enough for BGW? We've never been , and as I've noted, we tend to like to ride everything and perhaps catch a show or two.

I hate them. I think it is extremely hypocritical of parks to threaten to eject people for line jumping.

Six Flags ride ops never do anything regardless. Not from any of my experiences at the parks.

At SFOG I have seen people ejected from the park on a couple of occasions for line cutting. Your milage will vary though.

As to fast passes, I don’t use them personally. I usually hit off peak days or simply wait in line and appreciate the fact that I was able to enjoy a theme park and rides for the day. I’m an enthusiast for the joy of riding and the joy of being in a park. So I try to pick the slower days, and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. It’s nice to know that there is a fast pass option available should I ever truly find the need, but at the end of the day, having fun to me doesn’t necessarily require packing 20 rides in to 4 hours.

I don't fall in line to your options. I like them but I don't use them all the time. I have only used them when offered as a free service to me. I haven't had to go to a park that busy to purchase but I use the hell out of them when they are free...

In the past, weather and crowds were two potential impediments to having a good time at a park, and the only answer was to offer prayers to the amusement park gods. While weather conditions are still less than assured, fast passes have been nearly essential at times for me to make the most of days at crowded parks. Ensuring at least one major variable won't be an issue is a big plus. With work, I get to parks when I can, and sometimes this means getting creative to make time for parks on days where I fly in/out of cities. I don't regularly have the luxury of hand-picking those few dates where parks are more likely to be empty.

Also, I'm more willing to pay up at a Six Flags/Cedar Fair park...last season, I didn't use the fast pass systems at Hershey or Kennywood. I also don't think they're necessary or fitting for a Knoebels or Waldameer -- traditional parks that often have modest lines and typically pleasant guests. In regard to the big chains, though, a two hour wait for a Batman clone on a roasting hot summer day, watching my 7th grade queue neighbors flirt, line jump, punch each other, and play an impromptu half-court game with their souvenir basketballs = GIMME FAST PASS!!

we're likely doing BGW this year, and I'm planning two days for it with no quickqueue (then a 1 day drive up to King's Dominion). . . followed by 2-3 days in Washington, DC.

do yo think 2 days is enough for BGW? We've never been , and as I've noted, we tend to like to ride everything and perhaps catch a show or two.

Two days should be enough. Saturdays, as you might expect, are the busiest days. Buying Quick Queue one day (for rides) might be a good idea.