TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I need some "outside the park" food advice.

Hello Everyone,

I posted a while back about a trip I am doing this summer, and need some advise on food locations outside the park in a few places. We want to expeince a few local places in the area, so Id like to stay away from chains if at all possible. If you know of a great home grown restaurant near any of these parks, please let me know!

Thanks!

Downtown Washington DC (We are going to SFA for the first half of the day, then hanging out mid afternoon-evening around the Mall)

Kings Dominion (really for Lunch)

Carowinds (Lunch and Dinner) [we will DEFINITELY be going to Bo Jangles for at least one meal )

Dollywood (we will be eating in the park, since I have heard such great things about the food from all y'all)

Kentucky Kingdom (Dinner)

Holiday World (Dinner)

Kings Island (Dinner)

Cedar Point (We will be eating at the park since getting on and off the peninsula is almost as annoying as lockers )

Kennywood (Lunch)

Thanks for all your input!

Edited by cfc

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We enjoy skyline chili just down the street from kings island.

Holiday world has some decent food. I don't recall there being many restaurants near the park other than your typical chain places like subway.

At cedarpoint, check out famous Daves or the new quaker steak and lube.

Kennywood has some good eats like the potato patch. I know there is a Mc Donalds just outside the park. We ate at a pizza place a few miles from the park that was kiler. I think it was called vinnie pie pizza?

As far as all the cedar fair park, I would avoid eating in the parks. Nor only are the prices over inflated, but the food quality is horrid.

Dollywood has some of the best park food you will ever have.

Not sure about Kentucky Kingdom, but be carefull with leaving the park as they may charge you twice to park. The parking lot is not run by the park.

Hope this helps you.

Edited by thrillrider

You might try consulting this thread for some recommendations: http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1293260#p1293260.

The nearest town to Kings Dominion is Ashland, which is one exit east of the park on I-64. Or you could try downtown Fredericksburg (about half an hour east)--there are some good places downtown.

As far as Kentucky Kingdom goes, they will charge you to get back in if you leave, but assuming you said a dinner spot and the park closes at 7pm typically, I don't think that will be a problem for you.

Louisville has become a major "food" city. There are tons of places with amazing food, but if you're looking to eat near the park, Grind Burger Kitchen is nearby and serves the best burger in town. They are only open until 10, so keep that in mind if you are going on one of the few days the park is open until 9. If you are staying the night in Louisville and are looking to eat somewhere that is going to take up a bit more of your time, Doc Crow's is in the heart of downtown and a short drive from the park.

You could spend an entire trip eating your way around Louisville. If you aren't in the mood for burgers (Grind) or southern food (Doc Crow's), Thrillist.com has a good rundown of some of the other restaurants around Louisville. Being at Kentucky Kingdom, you will be about 15-20 minutes from everywhere in Louisville.

Sounds like a heck of a trip! Have fun!

Grind Burger Kitchen

Doc Crow's

Thrillist: Louisville: Where to Eat

I am a central Virginia native, and if I could suggest for food, here's what they'd be:

If you absolutely want to stay close to the highway, Ashland has some great food options that have great small town charm, Trackside Grill and The Ironhorse are great. If you really want great food and are willing to go a few more miles, Buz and Ned's barbecue is great.Q barbecue is a local chai. With some great options as well. However, there is this new place that is a bit out of the way (still only around 5 min. Off the highway) called Jake's Place. He renovated an old gas station into a full service restaurant and the place has gotten rave reviews. Here are the links to my favorite stops:

www.ironhorserestaurant.com

www.jakesplaceashland.com

buzandneds.com

Ashland is around 10 min. Away from KD, but if you're a foodie there are a million places in downtown Richmond to eat (like chuck said). Since you mentioned lunch for KD, any place in Ashland would be my reccomendations.

I was going to recommend getting a Hot Brown, so I laughed at the title of this article.

I love Big Jims in Pittsburgh for a Veal Parm sandwich the size of your head. But too far away from the park to recommend for lunch

http://www.bigjimsrestaurant.com/menu.html

For DC if you want quicker I'd say Ben's Chili Bowl would be a great choice as its a must for DC. Its cash only as the for warning. If you want a longer dinner there are no shortage of good places on 14th street. I personally suggest The Pig if you are a fan of eating pork. Or go on an adventure to H Street and go to Boundary Road.

I was going to recommend getting a Hot Brown, so I laughed at the title of this article.

Being completely honest, I've lived in Louisville for 8 years and I have never ordered a Hot Brown. It seems to be more of a "tourist" food and on the rich side. One stereotypical Kentucky food to absolutely try is fried chicken at a place like Loop 22 or Sway. Again, so many options for outstanding food in the city of Louisville.

Being completely honest, I've lived in Louisville for 8 years and I have never ordered a Hot Brown. It seems to be more of a "tourist" food and on the rich side. One stereotypical Kentucky food to absolutely try is fried chicken at a place like Loop 22 or Sway. Again, so many options for outstanding food in the city of Louisville.

I won't argue your point. I was a tourist and it was damn rich, a heart attack waiting to happen. Turkey has never been so decadent.

For DC if you want quicker I'd say Ben's Chili Bowl would be a great choice as its a must for DC. Its cash only as the for warning. If you want a longer dinner there are no shortage of good places on 14th street. I personally suggest The Pig if you are a fan of eating pork. Or go on an adventure to H Street and go to Boundary Road.

I second this.

I went to DC for a marching band trip last May and Ben's Chili Bowl is AMAZING! But there are plenty of places to eat in and around DC.