TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CP or Bust: Trip Planning Advice Needed

Cedar Point is absolutely doable without Fast Lane if you choose your dates wisely, get lucky with the weather, and stay at least two days. This is what I did last August--2.5 day trip (Sunday evening through Tuesday afternoon), some scattered showers mixed in, and utilizing the Marina gate for early entry. Outside of Dragster once, I never waited more than an hour for a ride. Although I originally planned on Fast Lane for the Monday, I took a risk with the crappy weather, saved almost $300 for the group of three, and managed about eight laps on MF, about five each on Maverick, Gatekeeper, and Raptor, and a few each on Dragster, Magnum, and Wicked Twister. It can be done.

Oh, if you're going to try without Fast Lane--throw $10 at Gatekeeper plinko. Skipped Maverick's and Dragster's two hour lines in the evening multiple times. Well worth it.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I mean, we'll be there Memorial Day wknd. It the weather happens to be nice I'm expecting it to be rammed. If its not, good, but this way I won't set myself up for disappointment. We won't be buying it until we are at the park, no sense in doing it early if it is true that it won't sell out.

^Oh I absolutely agree--since you've been looking forward to this trip as long as you have, definitely splurge for Fast Lane Plus once you get there. I was just pointing out that Cedar Point, unlike many other regional American parks, is not impossible to enjoy without coughing up hundreds to skip the line. I've used Fast Lane previously at this park, and for the day I went it was well worth it. Enjoy 10 minute waits for Millennium Force! Some great times ahead of you.

My husband and I are going to CP May 28th and 29th. We living in Kentucky and are planning that it will be a 5-6 hour drive, so we are leaving very early on the 28th. We have platinum passes as we are close to Kings Island, so the early entry is a saver for us. We do not have the money to spend on fast lane tickets but with early entry I doubt it will be a big deal. CP was my park growing up but I haven't been back since before Maverick was put in, so things have changed quite a bit. My husband has never been there so he's really excited about it. We figured going during the week before school gets out could save us hopefully. Last time I was there it was Memorial Day weekend and I'm not sure about the weekend but on actual Memorial Day it was not busy at all.

I saw a post that someone will be there on the 29th as well. If you want to get together let us know, we love being with other enthusiasts. I cannot wait as we were supposed to go last year and never were able to make it.

I will be at Kings next Weds and Cedar Thursday/Friday. Two of us are coming from Minnesota and a third is coming from Pennsylvania, we didn't think twice about getting FL plus for both days at Cedar. One of the days is a "free" FL plus bracelet for booking into Breakers last year. We are spending the cash for FL plus on Thursday as well. We figure that being a once a year trip to the park we want to ride as much as possible and without FL that just isn't probable.

If we want to ride Maverick (especially with the new restraints) 10 times in an hour that is what we will be doing. Millennium Force will be our early entry coaster because the FL line kind of sucks so we will get as many laps in on it before the park officially opens. this year the FL plus has four coasters on it: Gatekeeper, Maverick, Roigarou, and TTD. We aren't all that interested in TTD because the FL line is fairly crappy as well. The other three coasters we are very interested in getting as many laps as we can

I hope that Rougarou has a decent FL line so we can get 10-12 rides on it per day.

Have fun with your trip, Cedar Point is an awesome place and more so with the luxury of FL plus.

Sit in the front car of Mean Streak and lean forward so your back does not touch the seat. It's a ridiculous way to ride a coaster but it's incredibly smooth when you do. Since you bring up Ghostrider, I'd rather ride Mean Streak 10 times in a row than Ghostrider once.

Magnum is much better than Desperado and it's a piece of history. You'd be crazy not to ride it even though it can be painful.

Honestly Cedar Point no longer has any bad coasters now that Mantis is no longer a standup. Corkscrew is a piece of crap but even that's nowhere near the most painful arrow looper I've ridden... plus it looks so nice going over the midway that it's impossible for me to hate that ride even though I probably should.

I was last at CP in 2013 but they re tracked Mean Streak and it was not nearly as rough as it used to be, but it is still boring and actually the lack of roughness, in a way, made it more boring lol I personally skip it as I just find it dull and slow. Magnum is actually really fun though. Idk your tolerance level but magnum ain't so bad there's way rougher and I still enjoy the ride lots. Mean Streak is the only id absolutely skip but I've also been like 5 times. Lol

I'm personally trying to ride as much as I can. Imma get all whorish while we are there! Corkscrew, Mean Streak, Gemini - I'll try em all. Will they give me crap on Woodstock Express? I'm 6'2. LOL I won't have a kid to borrow to get on Wilderness Run lmao. Magnum, Blue Streak and Iron Dragon are must rides for me too - not top tier (like Maverick, Gatekeeper, MForce, Raptor) but they look great/interesting in their own ways imo. Rougarou I want to ride because its "new" and no longer a stand up, and I like the floorless @ my home park quite a bit. Dragster as I said for comparison.

I'm just excited to have so many options for riding - quite a few flats I want to try - MaxAir (never rode one of these but planning on doing the one @ Kennywood too), Power Tower (love Dominator at Dorney if this is anything like it), Skyhawk (my fave flat in Wildwood), and I might make this trip my first ever attempt at a slingshot(!!!).

I'm also really excited about the new restraints on Maverick, looks like an insanely twisty ride so they should make it more comfortable. Something tells me I'm gonna love this ride and I really just want FL+ so I can ride this and Millenium as much as I want.

I'm personally trying to ride as much as I can. Imma get all whorish while we are there! Corkscrew, Mean Streak, Gemini - I'll try em all. Will they give me crap on Woodstock Express? I'm 6'2. LOL I won't have a kid to borrow to get on Wilderness Run lmao. Magnum, Blue Streak and Iron Dragon are must rides for me too - not top tier (like Maverick, Gatekeeper, MForce, Raptor) but they look great/interesting in their own ways imo. Rougarou I want to ride because its "new" and no longer a stand up, and I like the floorless @ my home park quite a bit. Dragster as I said for comparison.

I'm just excited to have so many options for riding - quite a few flats I want to try - MaxAir (never rode one of these but planning on doing the one @ Kennywood too), Power Tower (love Dominator at Dorney if this is anything like it), Skyhawk (my fave flat in Wildwood), and I might make this trip my first ever attempt at a slingshot(!!!).

I'm also really excited about the new restraints on Maverick, looks like an insanely twisty ride so they should make it more comfortable. Something tells me I'm gonna love this ride and I really just want FL+ so I can ride this and Millenium as much as I want.

Really don't even waste your time on Corkscrew or Mean Streak, boring and painful. Gemini is a fun coaster and really easy to marathon if you would like too. Blue Streak is a great ride, we found the best air to be the second from the back. The very back seat just crutches your spine and makes for an unpleasant ride.

MaXair is a fantastic ride, wish we could get something like that at my home park. Power Tower is a snooze feast, skip it. The drop is very mediocre, the shoot up is probably more fun. The Slingshot sometimes has a sale right away in the morning, might be the best time to check it out because it is a huge savings.

Maverick is a blast to marathon, very easy to get 10 plus rides an hour on it with FL plus.

We end up riding Power Tower a ton whenever we go to the park because it never has a line... it's worth riding the drop side for the view alone.

Also since Coaster Curt brought up Blue Streak... Blue Streak is fun in a non wheel seat but in a wheel seat if you catch it on the wrong day it can be really rough... stick to the non wheel seats and you'll be a big fan.

I guess it has to do with Mean Streak and everyone hating on it so much, and the fact that it even looks boring on video but Blue Streak just looks awesome to me, I don't know why. Just a good classic layout. I'll avoid the wheel seats.

I'm definitely gonna try as much as I can. If Power Tower is anything like Dominator @ Dorney, I'm sure I'll love it. I freaking love Dominator.

We got on blue streak once years ago a little after it had rained. I thought we were going to die. I didn't feel any breaks pick up until the end. On the turnaround before heading back the thing felt like it was going to go flying off of the track. It gave me a new appreciation for the ride.

Edited by Ape

^ There are four gates: Main, Marina, Beach, and Resorts.

Their main purposes:

Main - obvious

Marina - Access to the marina and the restaurant there.

Beach - Beach access

Resorts - Gate used primarily by the on-site resort guests, but also used to access Soak City and Challenge Park.

Even though most people staying off-site will park in the main lot and use the main gate, you can use the Resorts gate instead. When arriving at the parking booth, head for Soak City and park in their lot. The lot is very close to the gate and you'll walk into the park next to Magnum. If you plan on spending most of your time toward the back of the park, it will save you a lot of walking.

So... some more questions lol. About beer. Because we love beer.

We'll be bringing a packed cooler for our room but curious can we take our own beer on the beach? To the pool? How lenient are they about walking around with alcohol inside the hotel/resort? Obviously we wouldn't try to take our beer INTO the park as we're sure that wouldn't fly (I'm assuming they are the same way w/ food).

Other than price (as I'm assuming its overpriced like any park), how is it with buying beers inside the park? Lots of places? Best places? Do they allow you to walk around inside the park w/ beer or do you have to stay in the same spot you bought it? If so, if I buy a beer IN the park and decide to back to Breakers will they give me a hard time?

Anything else I need to know about CP and beer? LOL

Thanks!

^My last stay at the Breakers was in 2005. We just filled solo cups with liquor or beer and went to the pool/beach. I think the only rule for the beach area was no glass containers. It's been awhile but I remember it being ok to take alcohol to the beach. I would check out the website or call to be sure.

I dont think it is a big deal. they sell beer in the park and also if you get food at Fridays they will give you a to go cup to take it out with you if you want. they just wont let you take beer from out side to the inside even if its in a cedar point cup and i dont understand it.

RAIN ADVICE PLEASE!?

Weather report is showing 60% chance of rain during my whole stay at CP. How many of the rides worth riding go down for rain? Is there a strategy for having my very first (15 years in the making) trip to CP not get shot to hell?

Also... my flight and hotel reservations are transferable to a different date... would it be worth putting the trip off a bit until early September?