TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CP or Bust: Trip Planning Advice Needed

OK so we still haven't booked the room but we're ironing out a few things and probably going to reserve within a week or two. As of right now we're doing Friday night-Monday morning at Hotel Breakers on Memorial Day weekend (stopping in Hershey Thursday, staying in Hershey Thursday night, and hitting Kennywood on Friday on our way to CP).

We're gonna splurge on the room since we'll be right at the park, with beach access, etc and can come and go to the park as we please. Also after driving most of the day Friday and all day Monday we don't want to have to drive back and forth to the park on Saturday and Sunday. This trip is a big deal to us so we're going all out. Baller status, yo!

Speaking of which, someone in this thread mentioned getting cheaper room rate @ Breakers if we mention we don't want the waterpark included. I've been in touch with Breakers about NOT having the water park included and trying to get a discount on a room and they've informed us that the water park is "complimentary" and included with our park admission. I explained we probably won't use them and that we hoped for a bit of a discount. I don't know if there is some magic word but the girl I talked to wouldn't budge on the issue. "It's complimentary with your park admission and cheaper than if you buy day passes to the park" or something to that effect. Oh well, at least its yet something else to do if we get tired of the dry park (I doubt that will happen).

This is probably a dumb question but I have yet to get Fast Lane @ a CF park so forgive me. At Cedar Point, what is the difference between Fast Lane and Fast Lane plus? Is it just that Gatekeeper, Maverick and Dragster are not included in the non-Plus Fast Lane? AKA they are charging an additional $20 for each of us for just those three rides? Wondering if we should just do the regular Fast Lane (to save some coin) and try to get our Gatekeeper/Maverick rides in early in the morning during early entry.

Still looking for suggestions for a cheap AND decent hotel close to Hershey. Just somewhere to crash on Thursday night and be up and out early on Friday to drive to CP (and stop at Kennywood). Nothing fancy, but nothing gross either. We are leaning towards the Days Inn that is very close to the park and has decent reviews on Tripadvisor. We'd like cheaper. Any other suggestions are welcome in this department.

Edited by boldikus

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably a dumb question but I have yet to get Fast Lane @ a CF park so forgive me. At Cedar Point, what is the difference between Fast Lane and Fast Lane plus? Is it just that Gatekeeper, Maverick and Dragster are not included in the non-Plus Fast Lane? AKA they are charging an additional $20 for each of us for just those three rides? Wondering if we should just do the regular Fast Lane (to save some coin) and try to get our Gatekeeper/Maverick rides in early in the morning during early entry.

That's truly the only difference between regular and plus. If you're going to get the regular FL, I'd take a spin each on GateKeeper and Maverick and spend the rest of the early entry on the one you like more (or marathon one on Saturday and the other on Sunday). Before the park opens up to everyone (ideally about 10-15 minutes prior), I'd get in line for TTD.

^Regarding your fast-lane question yes. The extra charge for fast lane plus just adds Gatekeepr, Maverick & Top Thrill Dragster onto the list of rides you can use the pass for. If you tackle the coasters during early entry you would have no problem riding the rest of the coasters buying a regular non-plus fast lane for the day. The only catch is you'd have to walk almost the length of the entire park to get the non-plus rides in during early entry.

Fastlane Plus may be worth it just for Maverick re-rides. Ride it once in the morning and once you get off it feeds you into a gift shop where you can buy Fastlane. Since you're already splurging for the Hotel room a few extra bucks for Fastlane Plus may be worth it just because Maverick is so awesome but you don't have to make that decision yet.

It helps you a lot with Dragster and Gatekeeper too (especially early in the day) but I'm assuming Dragster might be a one-and-done since you can ride Kingda Ka close to home and it's essentially the same ride.

^ Funny you say that because Maverick is the reason I am considering FL+. That and Millennium are my top two must rides at the park and I have a feeling I'm going to want to re-ride them both.

You are absolutely correct about Dragster. I am very curious to try it without the OTSRs because I just about fit into Kingda Ka and the shoulder harness jabs into my collarbone. As I've said here I'm not a huge fan of KK (one trick pony) but my brother is, and the lapbars might make a big difference for me. We'll probably just knock that out early one day before it gets crowded and if we like it we'll try it again I'm sure.

We do want to try almost everything, including a lot of the flats. The flyers, enterprise, Pipe Scream, Maxair, the water rides, etc are all becoming must-dos. I'd like to get on every coaster (save for the kiddies, I'm not that much of a whore). I'm am freaked out by the Windseekers because I feel like I'm always hearing about them getting stuck, but I love the Skyscreamer and WS seems even more tame so we'll probably try that too.

Stoked that so far its all coming together and that we'll have two full days to explore and enjoy.

You are absolutely correct about Dragster. I am very curious to try it without the OTSRs because I just about fit into Kingda Ka and the shoulder harness jabs into my collarbone. As I've said here I'm not a huge fan of KK (one trick pony) but my brother is, and the lapbars might make a big difference for me. We'll probably just knock that out early one day before it gets crowded and if we like it we'll try it again I'm sure.

TTD has a much better launch in my opinion, but the restraints do make a difference. You may have problems with Maverick, since it has the same restraints. (Personally, I can't stand Maverick because I get the sh*t beat out of me every time I ride it)

We do want to try almost everything, including a lot of the flats. The flyers, enterprise, Pipe Scream, Maxair, the water rides, etc are all becoming must-dos. I'd like to get on every coaster (save for the kiddies, I'm not that much of a whore). I'm am freaked out by the Windseekers because I feel like I'm always hearing about them getting stuck, but I love the Skyscreamer and WS seems even more tame so we'll probably try that too.

Windseeker is much less scary (to me) than the SkyScreamers. The New England Sky Screamer scared the crap out of me when the wind twisted the seats, but this doesn't happen on Windseeker.

TTD has a much better launch in my opinion, but the restraints do make a difference. You may have problems with Maverick, since it has the same restraints. (Personally, I can't stand Maverick because I get the sh*t beat out of me every time I ride it)

Well, I've done Stormrunner and Fahrenheit and the restraints seemed the same/similar to Kingda Ka, fit me the same way, and it didnt bother me really at all on those. It's seems its just during the launch that it jabs me. Stormrunner was a little uncomfortable during the launch but it didn't hurt like KK always does.

• 1 month later...

Well, we're finally booked to stay at Breakers on Memorial Day weekend. It hasn't really sunk in yet. We had some logistical issues involving babies and pets so we cut out the Thursday stop @ Hershey, and since its only 2 hours from here we can do it another day/time. So we're now leaving Philly at the asscrack of dawn on the morning of Friday the 22nd to head straight to Kennywood. We hope to arrive around noon and have about 5-6 hours there. Hopefully it will be enough time to do all 7 coasters and a few of the flats. We have nothing to book here so if weather is bad we'll just head straight to Cedar Point on Friday and take our time getting there and enjoy the Friday preview steez. If all goes according to plan and we do stop at Kennywood, we'll leave there around 5/6pm to head straight to Cedar Point on Friday evening, with hopes to arrive by 9pm. We're booked @ Breakers through Monday and we have Platinum Fast Lane Passes budgeted in to really enjoy our weekend.

Here's my advice for Cedar Point:

2) When going on Maverick , do NOT even think about going in the Fast Lane Plus line. The ride has horrible capacity and even the FL gives you 45 mins lines.

We Got Fast Lane plus and were able to do Maverick three times in a row pretty much walking on while the normal line was over an hour. This was the Saturday after Memorial Day last year.

• 1 month later...

Welp, we are under a month away from our first ever road trip to the Roller Coast. Just bumping this to update everyone that responded (thanks again for all the advice!) and to see who will be on the peninsula with us that weekend and would maybe want to meet up for a few rides. (PM me if so!)

After all the decisions and planning it looks like our trip will shake out more or less like I posted above:

Still planning on leaving Philadelphia via car EARLY Friday morning (6/7am) and head out toward Pittsburg. If the weather is nice we plan to stop at Kennywood Friday afternoon and hopefully hit all the coasters and a few flats. Top priority: Phantom, Sky Rocket, the woodies, Black Widow, Bayern Kurve. If its crappy/rainy we'll probably skip it and head right to the Point. Hershey is out of the picture completely. We're planning on maybe hitting it up later this summer.

I can't believe its actually happening. I've wanted to go to CP forever and the fact that I'll be there in less than a month is blowing my mind. I'm especially excited to ride Millenium, Maverick, Gatekeeper, Dragster, Raptor and Rougarou.

Now I've just gotta keep myself busy at work and pray it doesn't rain all weekend we are there.

Although Cedar Point's rain policy is pathetic, a little rain early in the day isn't the worst thing in my experience. Of course you want to get as much done during early entry (SUCH a help without FL), but with 30 min spotty showers in my 2.5 day visit last August, I was able to get re-rides on everything without Fast Lane any of the days. The rain could scare away enough crowds that you make up the lost riding time with lower crowds. Just plan your rides for Dragster and Maverick at off peak times, and you should have a great time with tons of riding.

Oh, and again--get in line for Millennium Force at closing at least once. Last train, last row... Indescribable. Like you, El Toro is my favorite roller coaster, but MF--hauling ass at midnight--is something special. Have a great time.

I am so glad you finally got everything booked, and ready to go! Cedar Point is an amazing park and I have no doubt in my mind that you're going to have the time of your life. I can't wait to hear about your visit when you get back!! Have lot's of fun!!!

^ ^ On one hand I am kind of hoping for cloudy/overcast/chance of rain to keep crowds lower but I don't want to drive all the way out there to sit in the hotel bar for two days. We'll definitely be getting FL+ and definitely be taking advantage of early entry for rides on Maverick and Millenium (I don't think Dragster is included in this but I guess we can queue up for it right before park opens, right?). I know Millie gets mixed reviews from enthusiasts but even if it isnt filled with airtime it LOOKS great and its obviously legendary so its a huge motivation behind me getting out to this park. Same with Gatekeeper. I have yet to ride a wing coaster and it looks fun. And Maverick just looks perfect. So stoked for that one. The fact that they have a really solid line-up otherwise doesn't hurt. As far as Millenium night rides - no doubt. You're not the only one that has suggested it to me so I'll definitely shoot to make that happen. Thats the great thing about staying on site - there's zero reason to rush out of the park at night since we're just a short walk back to the hotel. I'm really, really excited we decided to splurge and stay @ Breakers, I have a feeling its going to make a our trip great.

I don't think Dragster is included in this but I guess we can queue up for it right before park opens, right?).

Rides usually open during Early Entry whenever they're ready... the rides they say will be open at 9 are always open barring a mechanical issue, a drizzle or a light breeze but things like Dragster might open before 10:00 if they're ready. Your time is much better with things like Maverick, Millennium Force, Raptor, Rougarou or Gatekeeper though. Unless you want a front seat ride, Dragster's line will be very short with Fastlane plus. The front seat is the best seat of course but you've ridden Kingda Ka so I don't know how much of a priority this actually is for you.

Main reason Dragster is a priority is to try it with the lapbars, I'm actually really excited about that. I know I'm the king of calling Ka a one trick pony, and I do feel that way, but honestly - other than having my collarbones pummeled into submission, I really enjoyed my two rides on Ka this past Friday.

Maybe it was the fact that it was a walk on and then a re-ride in the same seat. Its frustrating waiting a long time for a ride that is 20 seconds long and that's really my main gripe with it.

I'm planning my very first trip to CP right now, and this thread has been a HUGE help. I have 1 full day to spend at the park (with early entry) and then one more partial day (early entry until about 1:30pm). Would it be a waste to get FL or splurge on FL+? I just really want to see EVERYTHING this place has to offer... it's taken me 10 years to actually make this trip happen, and who knows how long it will be before I go back.

Honestly if going to CP has been in planning for many years and you won't be back for a long time, spend the extra on FL/FL+ to make the time you do have there even better.

I really think you would be just fine without it with careful planning (I never have gotten FL there, but I go often... I can easily hit all the major coasters quickly within the first two hours or so without any problem). The early entry is key... You can do Maverick, Millennium Force, Rougarou and get to Dragster around the time of opening if quick... Ride Dragster, then go right to Magnum. By this time it may be say 11am, two hours in. Then hit up all the stuff in the central and back of the park like Mean Streak, Gemini, Corkscrew, Iron Dragon, Skyhawk and other flats if you want. In later evening, the front of the park will flush out and you can do Raptor, Blue Streak, Gatekeeper, etc... with shorter lines.

This plan has always been failsafe for me at least.

But to make your visit better and more relaxed, FL would be worth it. To just take your time, ride stuff more often, etc.. It will make it worth the cost. We did it at Carowinds opening weekend for only 2-3hrs in the park so we could ride everything without a wait, including Fury which was a walkon with FL. It was worth the $75 just for the 2-3hrs we had.

A lot of people are not fans of Gatekeeper and to be honest it is extremely mediocre most of the time but it is one of my favorite rides when i ride the back left seat. get that spot a try if you're not sold on it with your first ride.

Personally, I've thought about it a lot while planning this and I really can't imagine going out to this park and not getting FL+. I have no clue when I'll be back here and with all of the quality rides I just want to make the most of our time. I know with the group I'm going with there will be time spent doing other things (beach, drinking, etc) so when I'm riding I'm not trying to wait.