TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Launched El-Loco

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This basically looks like S&S's response to Premier's sky loops. I actually think I like this design better, though. It looks far more complex and better paced.

Me too. It looks like a lot of air time!

This looks like a good concept, but I'm not sure how practical it is. The capacity is probably about 200 riders per hour, which would only be suitable for a small park. However, I'm not sure how many small parks would be able to spend $5-6 million on a new coaster (I'm guessing this would probably be about that, or maybe slightly less). It will be interesting to see if one of these ends up getting built somewhere.

An El Loco does not need this. It's impractical for what the

original design coaster is and does.

And all that time that it takes to do one cycle, this way? Riiight.

Would have to be two cars, linked together. But if not...

Please. Unless the park is hardly visited at all...or ever. This "might" be good.

Otherwise - buy the original El Loco instead. There's not enough of them anyway.

Edited by Nrthwnd

I don't see a launch making an El Loco any better.

I'd personally say the same for Gerstlauer coasters, but I heard those are pretty good. I think launches on El Locos could work if done correctly, but I'm not certain about the shuttle aspect of this coaster. Ride capacity would be tremendously low (even if they'd stick with their two-row four-across style seating).

If they could at least run two trains with one station or three to four trains with two stations (dual station maybe? One block before launch, one each station, one for transfer track, and finally the final brake making 5 blocks all together. They could easily wrap the brakes and station around the whole design giving a new meaning to the launched spaghetti bowl concept. Just a thought.....

• 4 months later...
I heard a rumor that two U.S. parks bought these for 2016, I hope it's true because they look fun.

Hmmm. A while back the GM of Lake Compounce mentioned that they were looking at other ideas for compact coasters instead of the long-rumored spinning coaster idea there. Someone mentioned to him if they'd consider an El Loco, and he gave a very definite non-answer to that. Now I'm hearing that the new coaster is slated to go in next year (take with a grain of salt, have heard that for a while), and then I'm seeing this...

It's a bit of a stretch, but I can certainly hope!