TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst Ride Replacements/Downgrades

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin's Fantasy Island removed their log flume a couple of years ago to put a KMG Speed in (which wasn't bad it just took up so little space). The Speed only lasted one season, now nothing stands there.

That was just last year when Martin's Fantasy Island removed the log flume for a KMG Speed ride that only lasted for a season, but I assumed that the KMG Speed ride was just a temporary "filler" ride for a new ride.

Definitely Superman/Bizarro at SFNE. I still can't believe they screwed with arguably the best steel coaster at the time.

At first I was excited for the Bizarro transformation, but I have to agree with this. Once the effects stopped working and the audio ruined the ride, it became more unenjoyable and the scenery made it cluttered.

Hopefully the re-transformation will make it top the list once again, because IMO any of the three Superman clones is better than Millennium Force.

Replacing the Star Jets that were high up in the center of Tomorrowland with the Astro Orbiters that are on the ground at the entrance of Tommorrowland.

I also thought this was one of Disney's dumber moves.

I too am in agreement with that one! I LOVED that ride in its original form.

SFMM - When they added those god awful OTSR's years ago on Revolution! It's great that finally they are doing some upgrades/fix ups and going back to the lap bars. At least it will have gone from a worst back up to a best.

Decent flying coaster at California's Great America getting replaced by a little waterpark...kind of says it all about which audience they felt like courting.

Revolution at SFMM adding breaks and horrifically painful over-the-head restraints when this used to be a smooth ride that let you shift around from side to side like an old woodie.

Viper at SFMM adding a ton of breaks because the g-forces were too intense. The ride is now a lot of stop-and-start and super slow at points...this was once the mac daddy of all coasters in the park prior to X-2 and Tatsu coming along and was an absolute blast from beginning-to-end...yeah, there was an insane health risk given the speed of the ride and those crazy pretzels and other crap in it, but it sure was fun. Now, it's just something you ride and are happy about because there's never a line.

Viper at SFMM adding a ton of breaks because the g-forces were too intense. The ride is now a lot of stop-and-start and super slow at points...this was once the mac daddy of all coasters in the park prior to X-2 and Tatsu coming along and was an absolute blast from beginning-to-end...yeah, there was an insane health risk given the speed of the ride and those crazy pretzels and other crap in it, but it sure was fun. Now, it's just something you ride and are happy about because there's never a line.

I remembered enjoying Viper immensely in the early 90's. I figured I hated it last month because I am a bit older now compared to when I first rode it, and having ridden B&M and Intamin smooth rides, I thought maybe I became too much of a coaster nerdette, also making Viper no longer seeming as much fun. I had no idea the braking system may have contributed to the discomfort and generalized unpleasant ride last month.

All of Crystal Beach's Art Deco architecture, a 1916 side friction roller coaster, a Herbert Schmeck classic PTC coaster and classic dark rides/walk-throughs being replaced by those crackerbox palace condos.

Darien Lake removing their Scrambler ride for a lame kiddie ride themed to moose raiding a campground! At least Darien Lake brought back the Scrambler ride in a different area of the park.

That moose ride is extremely popular with the younger set, and a real blast to ride to boot. To each his own.

Echoing some of the previous SFGAm responses-

Shockwave for Superman Ultimate Fluff - One of the more intimidating-looking front entrance coasters (and a mega-looper that still hasn't really been replaced at the park) in favor of what has to be the most uninspired design by B&M. An exact clone of Batman would have been a better use of the giant lot that S:UF putzes around in. This was right around the time that Steel Phantom got Rocky-Mountained by Morgan. That would have been a creative and incredible solution to Shockwave's ridership (and mx) issues- too bad it took until Texas Giant in 2011 for them to go that route.

It should be noted that from the park's point of view, Superman has lines 10+ years later, Shockwave did not, and the move was probably a winner.

Deja Vu for Buccaneer Battle - A pair of Flumes, Rapids Ride, and (on top of that) water park 5 steps away weren't enough?

There was also the time that Chang from SFKK began showing up in the park's lots, permits/approvals were granted by the town, and wound up going to New Jersey in favor of more crap for the water park. As a big fan of B&M Standups, this sucked. Then, Iron Wolf was removed a year later and it sucked even more.

Darien Lake removing their Scrambler ride for a lame kiddie ride themed to moose raiding a campground! At least Darien Lake brought back the Scrambler ride in a different area of the park.

That moose ride is extremely popular with the younger set, and a real blast to ride to boot. To each his own.

Considering how bland that area around Scrambler/Grizzly Run was before Moose on the Loose and Rowdy's Ridge it was a huge step forward for Darien. I was expecting someone to say replacing UFO with Rolling Thunder but that was also a good move on their part.

All of Crystal Beach's Art Deco architecture, a 1916 side friction roller coaster, a Herbert Schmeck classic PTC coaster and classic dark rides/walk-throughs being replaced by those crackerbox palace condos.

One of my pipe dreams is once Marineland's owner passes on, the park is retransformed into a modern day Crystal Beach. Crystal Beach should have never died.

Greezed Lightnin' with Lightning Run.......

I'm kidding. As for me, this goes before my time, but probably when the indoor Starchaser coaster at Kentucky Kingdom was replaced with a motion theater attraction. Half of the giant box that housed it now goes to the theater attraction, and the other half is the park's large gift shop/mini stage for small performances.

And probably replacing Quake (Vekoma Waikiki Wave prototype that didn't flip) with a ProSlide Tornado, despite being SBNO more than it was open. Not a terrible downgrade, but I feel as though a better flat could have replaced it.

There was also the time that Chang from SFKK began showing up in the park's lots, permits/approvals were granted by the town, and wound up going to New Jersey in favor of more crap for the water park. As a big fan of B&M Standups, this sucked. Then, Iron Wolf was removed a year later and it sucked even more.

Well, it could have been worse. At least the park now has a 200ft RMC. But yeah, I feel your pain!

This was a pretty amazing example of horrible planning at corporate back then. Can you imagine changing all your plans less than a month before you're supposed to announce your ride to the public?

But their original plan was to market a brand new stand up coaster to a public that already hated the current stand up coaster, so they probably made the right call.

Anyways, my vote goes to Buccaneer Battle replacing Deja Vu the year they finally got it running consistently.

Considering how bland that area around Scrambler/Grizzly Run was before Moose on the Loose and Rowdy's Ridge it was a huge step forward for Darien. I was expecting someone to say replacing UFO with Rolling Thunder but that was also a good move on their part.

Well, regarding the fact of Darien Lake replacing UFO with Rolling Thunder was not a bad idea, it's one small step for Darien Lake to win back its "fans". But it could have been worse. One other thing about Darien Lake besides the removal of 'Cuda Falls (*takes a big drink*) is removing the dump bucket from Hook's Lagoon.

Well, regarding the fact of Darien Lake replacing UFO with Rolling Thunder was not a bad idea, it's one small step for Darien Lake to win back its "fans". But it could have been worse. One other thing about Darien Lake besides the removal of 'Cuda Falls (*takes a big drink*) is removing the dump bucket from Hook's Lagoon.

I have to say that I honestly miss judged Rolling Thunder... However Darien Needs more thrill rides and big ticket coasters... I'm not going to gripe about Rowdy's ridge, but okay you have a strong family ride line up already!!! Start breaking loose with the big toys for the big boys!!! You have a big vacant lot in the middle of the park that used to be called cuda falls. That's my bitch about The worst Replacement... Something into nothing....

For SFDK its got to be replacing Zonga which was an awesomely good looking coaster with a Tony Hawk's Big Spin clone, but Six Flags Discovery Kingdom fixed that "downgrade" in 2012 with Superman: Ultimate Flight and also for closing its only wooden coaster Roar for an RMC remodel that will be named to something that is unrelated to its all wooden predecessor.

One of my pipe dreams is once Marineland's owner passes on, the park is retransformed into a modern day Crystal Beach. Crystal Beach should have never died.

Sadly, even if a massive ice storm rolled in off the lake and completely razed the Yecch and Tetanus Club, Crystal Beach could never return. Even if they tried, too much time has passed and what little remained of it has been scattered to the winds (and to collectors). Between the litigation-happy nature of life today and humanity's all-out effort to constantly breed new and improved idiots, they'd never get insurance. Besides, a lot of the appeal of Crystal Beach was the history, the memories and the nostalgia. All but the memories are gone and a new Crystal Beach would mean nothing to the only demographic that could support it. I mentioned to a girl serving beer at a Bisons game that the Resurgence Brewery Loganberry Wit earned points from me because it reminded me of Crystal Beach. This girl didn't even know there had been a park there, and she was old enough to serve beer. That's the oldest I've felt in a very long time.