TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst Ride Replacements/Downgrades

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to say replacing the Corkscrew at Alton Towers with Thirteen.

Don't get me wrong, the Corkscrew was awful, but to remove such a big ride and replace with Thirteen seems like such a waste of an opportunity and it's like they virtually did nothing with the space they created. It also doesn't help they squashed Rita in around Corkscrew before getting rid of the Corkscrew so I feel like Rita isn't as good as it could have been either.

In fact I don't like the whole of the Dark Forest area.

B&R: The Chiller getting replaced with the Dark Knight

Wildcat getting replaced with bleachers (CP)

Not just Chiller, also the awesome Movietown Water Effects ride! I miss both so much. I also wish I got a chance to ride Wildcat, it looked like such a fun coaster!

Not the "worst" replacement, but Looney Tunes River Ride at Movie World was far superior to the new Junior Driving School. It was a shame to see the park replace a unique, ambitious dark ride with something more suited to an FEC.

When the old Professor Burp's Bubbleworks became the new Bubbleworks at Chessington.

Used to be a really funny, quirky and laugh-out-loud ride themed to a fizzy drink factory, now replaced with a not-so-funny, not as quirky and minimal laughter sort of ride themed to having a bath.

When the old Professor Burp's Bubbleworks became the new Bubbleworks at Chessington.

Used to be a really funny, quirky and laugh-out-loud ride themed to a fizzy drink factory, now replaced with a not-so-funny, not as quirky and minimal laughter sort of ride themed to having a bath.

Yes, yes, yes! How could I forget this?! I totally agree.

Mine:

Deja Vu at SFOG getting replaced with Thomas Town

This is the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread's title.

Over Georgia did need a kids area expansion. I agree that all Thomas Towns should have been like Six Flags America with 10 Rides instead of a Train and a shop.

The gimmick of turning Mr. Freeze backwards.

I recognize that I'm in the minority, but I really loved everything about the ride in its original form. It was the one ride that kept me going back to my local park, SFSTL. I went once for the transformation and I was extremely dissatisfied. I haven't been back in years. As people in the SFSTL thread know, I've been jaded ever since. It was one of my favorite coasters. I think it was the one that gave me the coaster bug.

Here are several:

Disneyland:

Getting rid of the Skyway from Tommorrowland to Fantasyland and replacing it with nothing.

Replacing the Peoplemover with Rocket Rods and then replacing it with nothing.

Replacing the Star Jets that were high up in the center of Tomorrowland with the Astro Orbiters that are on the ground at the entrance of Tommorrowland.

Basically the whole 1996 Tomorrowland redo.

Knott's Berry Farm:

Replacing Soap Box Derby with Windjammer. This one has some redemption though as Windjammer got replaced with Xcelerator.

Removing the parachutes from the Sky Tower.

Magic Mountain:

Removing DeJaVu for nothing.

Removing Free Fall for nothing.

Removing several park transportation rides over the years.

California's Great America:

Removing Stealth for Boomerang Bay (which is open for less than three months of the year).

Replacing the Star Jets that were high up in the center of Tomorrowland with the Astro Orbiters that are on the ground at the entrance of Tommorrowland.

I also thought this was one of Disney's dumber moves.

• 7 months later...

Darien Lake:

* Removing 'Cuda Falls (*takes a big drink*) and replacing it with nothing!

* Removing Nightmare at Phantom Cave for Galaxy Theater and having be SBNO

* Six Flags selling the park resulting in Ride of Steel being stripped from Superman!