TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst Ride Replacements/Downgrades

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, am I the first one to reply to this thread? Okay, here it goes . . .

From Kings Dominion, I would have to say the old Galaxy coaster ( plus the two flat rides to the left and right of that coaster) being replaced with the Shockwave. It's been nearly thirty years and I still cannot let it go.

Are we only talking about rides that were replaced or rides that were removed and replaced with nothing (see everything at Six Flags New England)?

If it's the former... I'll say Dorney park removing Laser for Stinger is the clear winner for me. If it's the latter then we should just dedicate this thread to Six Flags New England.

Probably Ninja at Six Flags St. Louis. Even though I personally found it just mediocre (except the surprise element of the chainlift headchopper), losing one half of the River King Mine Train (from what I heard it was the better side as well), the Condor (even though it was in the ride rotation program), and especially Jet Scream for a relocated Arrow/Vekoma coaster is definitely up there as one of the worst.

Curious to see if anybody would say Big Bad Wolf > Verbolten.

I'm sure they will. I thought of that but even though I loved Big Bad Wolf and prefer it to Verbolten I still really like Verbolten. It's not like they replaced with with a piece of crap like Dorney did with Laser / Stinger.

Curious to see if anybody would say Big Bad Wolf > Verbolten.

I'm sort of indifferent to both to be honest, so it's a toss up for me.

I actually do think BBW is better than Verbolten, but I wouldn't consider it to be the worst replacement out there. I really can't think of any awful replacements where I've ridden the old and the new. As for downgrades, that damn Premier train for Goliath. Even though I didn't ride it with the Vekoma train, I'm still putting my vote for it. From my understanding, they took a great ride and turned it into a torture device.

The real answer is, and will always be, Soap Box Racers being torn down for Windjammer. END. THE. THREAD.

THIS! Replacing a good coaster with a terrible coaster that was often closed was not a smart decision. Fortunately, Xcelerator replacing Windjammer would belong in the best ride replacements thread.

For me, another one was Simpsons Ride replacing Back to the Future at USH, as I'm not a huge fan of the Simpsons and Back to the Future was my favorite simulator attraction other than Soarin' Over California. As for downgrades, I nominate the new trains on Matterhorn Bobsleds. In my opinion, they dropped the ride from really good to slightly above average due to increased discomfort.

^ I know, I know this would cut into their dispatch numbers etc. but pleeeze bring Back the DL Matterhorn Single Cars! I remember riding them in 1963 and it was awesome, especially the left side track of it! I remember this, at ten years old! It was honestly my very first adult-style coaster, but made family style coaster by Disney. And Tubular Steel Tracks were The First Use of... for the Matterhorn, too (1959). That's historic.

And why not, Bring Back the Skyride THRU the Matterhorn, LOL!

Replacing the Antique Cars at Kings Island, despite only one side being used, for Italian Job/Backlot Stunt Coaster. It also cost the park their Bisch-Rocco Flying Scooters (moved to Carowinds). While they are getting new Flying Scooters this year they aren't like the original.

Removing Looney Tunes National Park at SFGAm for the relocated go-carts - a very bad move IMO though rescuing the Little Dipper was a great move.

I'll go along with Wacky Soap Box Racers being replaced with Windjammer and Peoplemover with Rocket Rods.

I'd also throw in Journey into Imagination being replaced with Journey into YOUR Imagination at Epcot and Questor with King Arthur's Challenge at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Well, that would break down as follows:

Questor > Corkscrew Hill > Europe in the Air > King Arthur's Challenge

Alien Encounter > Stitch's Great Escape

My main problem with it is that Stitch tried to recycle a show system that was deliberately designed to be scary, and make it into a kid-friendly experience. Just by how the show works, it will scare the crap out of kids regardless of how it's themed.

count me with the rocket rods group. what a waste. i also preferred Back to the Future over the Simpsons because I like the movies and theming more. But for pure simulator, I think the Simpsons is better. But Transformers the ride smokes both of them, imo.

trees and icee stand for Green Lantern at SFMM? lol