TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Go Pros and Coasters

Speaking of Cedar Point, anyone else find it hilarious when they say "photography and video recording is strictly prohibited and actually ILLEGAL in the State of Ohio?"

I understand management cracked down on ride hosts saying that but you still catch it time to time. While it may be in the Ohio Ride Laws that riders must obey all posted and verbal instructions, it doesn't specifically say cell phones and video recording are illegal on rides in Ohio. So technically riders are legally required to obey all posted/verbal rules that include CP's recording policy, but last time I checked a rider has never been persecuted for recording a video or taking a picture on a ride.

I could never bring myself to make the "illegal" remarks on the mic during my time working there as all it really does is makes an employee look like an a$$.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Cedar Point, anyone else find it hilarious when they say "photography and video recording is strictly prohibited and actually ILLEGAL in the State of Ohio?"

I understand management cracked down on ride hosts saying that but you still catch it time to time. While it may be in the Ohio Ride Laws that riders must obey all posted and verbal instructions, it doesn't specifically say cell phones and video recording are illegal on rides in Ohio. So technically riders are legally required to obey all posted/verbal rules that include CP's recording policy, but last time I checked a rider has never been persecuted for recording a video or taking a picture on a ride.

I could never bring myself to make the "illegal" remarks on the mic during my time working there as all it really does is makes an employee look like an a$$.

I don't think it's a law to record in general. I think it stems from loose items. Again, I hope the state of Ohio also rethink that, like what Robb said about parks rethinking the recording issue.

• 1 month later...

I just thought of another theory as to why they still might not be letting the use of cameras on rides despite them now being tetherable to the body.

What it could be is that if there is a video that someone took on the ride as shared it out somewhere and someone saw it, they might just think the person was holding onto the camera with their bear hands and not realize that the person is using a tether. So they may attempt the same thing by just assuming they can hold onto it without a tether, and well.......oops!

So it probably could be influencial reasons too.

I'm going to Gardaland and Movieland Park in a week and I also want to film POV's, so I sent an e-mail to the parks to ask if it is alright if I take my GoPro with the chest mount on the coasters. Both replied and Movieland Park said, that it is okay, but I have to inform the ride operator befor I film the POV.

But Gardaland wrote it is not allowed! then I asked why and said again with the Chest mount, that it is safe and that some of Oblivions's first riders had that one too. They then said they were only allowed because it is a special event and it is a safety risk. But I told them it is safe!

^ Unfortunately, you just have to deal with the rules the parks set up, no matter how silly they might seem to us, they do have their reasons. In the case of GoPros, hopefully enough parks will start to allow them that changes will start to be made industry wide.

Still makes zero sense to me that I can wear a chest mounted go pro on Kumba, Montu, and Kraken but a few miles down the road in Orlando, I'm stripped searched and yelled at if I try to bring my wallet in a zipper or Velcro pocket on a Universal coaster.

Edited by robbalvey

^ Unfortunately, you just have to deal with the rules the parks set up, no matter how silly they might seem to us, they do have their reasons. In the case of GoPros, hopefully enough parks will start to allow them that changes will start to be made industry wide.

Still makes zero sense to me that I can wear a chest mounted go pro on Kumba, Montu, and Kraken but a few miles down the road in Orlando, I'm stripped searched and yelled at if I try to bring my wallet in a zipper or Velcro pocket on a Universal coaster.

Universal is totally different, Robb, and they have real concerns that the other parks lack. That's what all the hyper defensive fanboys tell me, at least. What exactly is different, I have no idea, but I assure you, those guys know for sure that it is

Might have something to do with the Dueling Dragons incident. Before that, they seemed pretty chill.

Here's another thing I wonder.

When I was little I had a small few time use tape recorder that I liked recording sounds and playing them back. It was just audio, no video and it could only hold a few short recordings before being full. But one of my favorite things to record was roller coaster sounds (like roaring and screaming). So I would put it in my pocket at Cedar Point and the fair and record my cousin and I screaming on rides. Unfortunately IT fell out and was smashed and I learned my lesson about non zipper pockets and objects. But past that, today if I were to have a tape recorder (or my phone) in a secure pouch WITH A ZIPPER this time (which almost all parks allow) and just have it recording just the audio of my cousin and I screaming, would I still be breaking the rules even though it's perfectly secured in a pocket? The only difference would be that it's saving data picked up from the microphone.

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment I'm on a little coaster tour in Italy and I wanted to do POV's with my GoPro and chest mount on the coasters. At Gardaland I could do them, but only on the small kiddie coaster and the water rides. I also tried it on Magic Mountain, but they said no! But just an hour before, a girl asked the operator where she should put her phone to ride the coaster and he replied, that she should put it in her pocket of the trousers, where most phones which get lost come from!!! So a phone in an open pocket is allowed but a chest mounted GoPro not!?!? What is wrong there?!

I'll try it tomorrow at the two B&M's. Please wish me luck!

I was taking my GoPro onto slides at Atlantis in the Bahama's last week with no problem. Got some fun footage, and didn't endanger any lives. Granted at Atlantis I'm pretty sure I could have taken a full size news camera on a ride and they wouldn't have stopped me.

Something that I just thought of that parks should consider.

When you hear about parks that throw you out for having a gopro (looking at you Six Flags Great Adventure) that can clearly fasten onto your body, but they don't get you in any kind of trouble if your phone falls out of your pocket, of if you forgot to remove your shoes and you hold them in your hand throughout the ride (happened to my Aunt Laura on the Raptor at Cedar Point, where they'll stop the ride if you have a camera on the lift, no matter how secure it is), what do you think the problem is here?

I think of it like weapons. People will try to sneak their cameras on rides regardless. If the device is secured, there really is no reason for the hastle. It's just unnecessary.

What needs to be done is on all the Warning signs, rather than say "No recording" it needs to say "Cameras must be secured on either a hand or chest tether". Because think of it, this might encourage the use of cameras on rides more, but encourage the SAFE use of cameras on rides. I think you'd actually have less people try to grasp them in their hands without a tether because with all the new stuff today, this would be a more sensible policy. It actually might put some common sense into people.

I mean think about it.

When you hear about parks that throw you out for having a gopro (looking at you Six Flags Great Adventure) that can clearly fasten onto your body, but they don't get you in any kind of trouble if your phone falls out of your pocket, of if you forgot to remove your shoes and you hold them in your hand throughout the ride (happened to my Aunt Laura on the Raptor at Cedar Point, where they'll stop the ride if you have a camera on the lift, no matter how secure it is), what do you think the problem is here?

I think of it like weapons. People will try to sneak their cameras on rides regardless. If the device is secured, there really is no reason for the hastle. It's just unnecessary.

What needs to be done is on all the Warning signs, rather than say "No recording" it needs to say "Cameras must be secured on either a hand or chest tether". Because think of it, this might encourage the use of cameras on rides more, but encourage the SAFE use of cameras on rides. I think you'd actually have less people try to grasp them in their hands without a tether because with all the new stuff today, this would be a more sensible policy. It actually might put some common sense into people.

I mean think about it.

Tether or not, that would violate the parks' loose articles policy. A tether can fail or slip off a hand, and then it is not safe.

I mean think about it.

I do NOT encourage anyone to go and break park rules. While I might agree that I feel parks SHOULD allow at least chest mounted GoPro cameras at parks, you still have to respect their wishes. After all it is THEIR park and you are not entitled to be above the rules.

I mean think about it.

Tether or not, that would violate the parks' loose articles policy. A tether can fail or slip off a hand, and then it is not safe.

But the same thing can be said for items that the attendants make you shove into your open mouthed pockets significantly more so.

The thing is, is that a majority of park WILL let you wear your glasses as long as they're tethered to your head. Most of the time, the attendant checks to make sure they're on good. They can clearly do the same with a frikin camera! Now, the person should have it out in the station so the attendant can check which is something they should announce, otherwise it's a no go.

And if you're taking about just a sticking your hand the loop, then yeah it needs to be tight on like harnessed or something. That can be checked by moving that part of your body around.

But also keep this in mind, necklaces and bracelets can also come loose of your body too especially if you put your hands up, but I've worn both on rides without anyone saying anything and nothing happened (although I usually put necklaces under my shirt and angle my wrists but necklaces have come out of my shirt before but not the ride).

Notice that I am talking about the loose article policy? Because they always can update it and mention everything I mentioned above.

I mean think about it.

But the same thing can be said for items that the attendants make you shove into your open mouthed pockets significantly more so.

The thing is, is that a majority of park WILL let you wear your glasses as long as they're tethered to your head. Most of the time, the attendant checks to make sure they're on good. They can clearly do the same with a frikin camera! Now, the person should have it out in the station so the attendant can check which is something they should announce, otherwise it's a no go.

And if you're taking about just a sticking your hand the loop, then yeah it needs to be tight on like harnessed or something. That can be checked by moving that part of your body around.

But also keep this in mind, necklaces and bracelets can also come loose of your body too especially if you put your hands up, but I've worn both on rides without anyone saying anything and nothing happened (although I usually put necklaces under my shirt and angle my wrists but necklaces have come out of my shirt before but not the ride).

Notice that I am talking about the loose article policy? Because they always can update it and mention everything I mentioned above.

I mean think about it.

I do NOT encourage anyone to go and break park rules. While I might agree that I feel parks SHOULD allow at least chest mounted GoPro cameras at parks, you still have to respect their wishes. After all it is THEIR park and you are not entitled to be above the rules.

I'm not saying I was above the rules or anything like that. This is just an example of what I would do if I ran a park, NOT about trying to break rules. Trust me I'm 100% sure that they won't do this or whatever all because I said to, and that's fine because it's up to THEM, not ME.

• 4 weeks later...

That sign is hilarious, but spot on. Perhaps the person tasked with making that sign was creating it in rage of a selfie-stick incident that they missed their spelling/gramatical errors?

Good Move Knoebels!