TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Go Pros and Coasters

I'm gonna purchase a go-pro for several uses, one of which is to ride roller coasters with of course. I know that a lot of parks won't let you take "loose articles" onto a ride, so taking a handheld camera is off limits, but a gopro can be harnessed on the body very easily and be much more secured than ones shoes.

Does anyone have any experience with using (harnessed or strapped) go pros at parks, and whether any parks ever gave you any issue or hassle over them? I hear the easiest way to do things is to have it hidden under a jacket, but that's a terrible option when it's the middle of summer.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please review this thread

Six Flags does not allow filming of any type while on their rides and coasters. I believe Cedar Fair and Busch have the same policies, they should be available through each park.

Breaking park rules can result in expulsion from the park.

Breaking parks rules and posting about it on TPR will result in a ban from TPR.

Rules don't always make sense to all enthusiasts, but they must be followed.

Edited by larrygator

^What he said.

Cameras, regardless of the security of their mount, are still subject to park policy and may not allow recording. As mentioned, Six Flags and Cedar Fair don't allow cameras on their rides without prior approval (usually only granted to media). If you're unsure whether or not a park you plan on recording at allows you to do so, check the policies on the park's website before you go or get in communication with someone knowledgeable on such policy (usually someone in a position of some degree of management).

Don't break park policy to get video; smuggled footage looks like crap, and you'll only piss off the park and respective communities. TPR has close relations to many parks and operating companies because members abide by the parks' rules (this is why we tend to get invited to media previews and special park events as opposed to some other certain communities that shall not be named). Robb and the rest of the staff do not want those relationships jeopardized.

We at Nickelodeon Universe do not allow Go-Pros on any of our rides. This one time when I was working at the Fairly Odd Coaster, a kid came up to the ride wearing a bicycle helmet with a Go-Pro attached to the top. It looked absolutely ridiculous, and of course I had to tell him it wasn't allowed on the ride.

Edited by BisonRugbyGuy

We at Nickelodeon Universe do not allow Go-Pros on any of our rides. This one time when I was working at the Fairly Odd Coaster, a kid came up to the ride wearing a bicycle helmet with a Go-Pro attached to the top. It looked absolutely ridiculous.

We are Borg.

But seriously, folks, what Larry said.

Edited by cfc

Six Flags does not allow any filming on their coasters what so ever. When I was working, I was told strictly not to allow any type of camera to be used, including Go Pros. One time, someone at El Toro had a large chest strap with a Go Pro mounted to it but we could not allow him to use it. I'm not sure how lenient other park chains are but Six Flags is very strict about filming.

Just some words of advice, it's really not worth it to film a POV on any coaster. It's not worth the risk of injuring another park guest if you happen to drop your camera or getting kicked out of the park if you get caught. Trust me, having worked for a park, I have seen dozens of people get kicked out for filming and other riders and bystanders get injured from dropped cameras.

Edited by El Toro_Ryan

Chest Mounted GoPros are not allowed at most parks either. Some smaller parks, yes. The SeaWorld & Busch parks in Orlando allow them (at least they were), and Disney allows them. But I'm pretty sure every Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Universal, Holiday World, and many other parks do not allow them at all. So if you're purchasing a camera just to film rides, you might want to re-think that strategy.

I think the other point to be made is that there are so many awesome videos of practically every ride out there (of course including the awesome TPR videos). Even disregarding the fact that it is not allowed, why would one bother?

My thought has always been to just leave it to the folks that have the relations with the parks and get the permission.

My thought has always been to just leave it to the folks that have the relations with the parks and get the permission.

This.

I have never tried, not do I plan to try, to bring a camera on a ride and record. Why bother when you can watch a super awesome TPR POV of it at home? I just like to relax and enjoy the ride rather than focus on recording a video that may not turn out all that great in the first place.

To actually be able to take a Go Pro on a roller coaster, or ride. You must first contact the parks PR department and explain to them why you want to record on the coaster, and what you will use the footage for, and then you must contact the parks safety department to ensure that the camera will be safely mounted and there will be no possible way for injury to happen to you or anyone else. And get the approval from both departments before being allowed to take a camera on the ride.

I am with everyone else on this. Don't worry about recording on the rides. Just enjoy the ride, and look at some amazing TPR POV's when you are at home. There are so many POV's out there that we really do not need another one for the same ride. Especially if TPR has already made a POV of it! Just take the time to enjoy the ride! Don't worry about having a camera to record it! You will end up missing the beauty of the ride.

You must first contact the parks PR department and explain to them why you want to record on the coaster, and what you will use the footage for, and then you must contact the parks safety department to ensure that the camera will be safely mounted and there will be no possible way for injury to happen to you or anyone else. And get the approval from both departments before being allowed to take a camera on the ride.

And on top of all that, you need to have something to offer in return, like getting the park good exposure on your video in return for their time. Parks aren't just going to do it for anyone. We have nearly 400k subscribers on our YouTube channel with 125 mil views last year and 300k likes on our Facebook page and there are still some parks (not many) that we are told no to. And usually those parks will just supply us with the B-Roll that they have shot so they don't have to take the time to do individual film shoots multiple times per year.

In short, you need to be well established to even have a shot at getting in the door with most of the bigger parks.

Yup. If anything save your Go pro for something else........leave the coaster footage to TPR. You're not going to produce a better POV than TPR does. *In my opinion* Just watch the TPR YouTube channel or order the BluRay discs.

Pants down the BEST COASTER FOOTAGE ever!!!

One time at six flags:DK in late Nov 2014 or so, the guy I was sitting next to was going to turn on his gopro and had a chest harness for it. I think he would of got away with it if I didn't accidentally draw the ride OP's attention to it.

(This was on superman: Ultimate Flight)

if you want to film on coasters. invest in a good sunglass camera. sunglasses are not banned. some parks want a sunglass strap, so buy one. a buddy of mine has been doing it this way for yrs. hes done it at all the big parks, Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Disney, Universal. Nobody has stopped him yet.

I find all videos are completely lacking compared to the experience of riding, so if you're there, enjoy!

In general, it is a lot of actual work to document parks. When visiting new parks, it's a lot easier to go and have fun. Take some pictures while you can or once you've ridden everything. For the most part though, TPR has the largest collection of POV's available on their youtube page. It's simple enough to watch them there.

I made a POV on Mantis at SWSD using a gopro chest harness as it was allowed. The results were better than hand held footage, but it still wasn't as enjoyable to watch as TPR's version. I ended up not doing anything with the footage because it was to much work to edit and render and there was little reward for the effort.

if you want to film on coasters. invest in a good sunglass camera. sunglasses are not banned. some parks want a sunglass strap, so buy one. a buddy of mine has been doing it this way for yrs. hes done it at all the big parks, Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Disney, Universal. Nobody has stopped him yet.

Yeah, sure, except for that whole part that Six Flags, Cedar Fair, and several other chains do NOT ALLOW FILMING. So, while sunglasses are allowed, filming the ride is not. Just because they don't catch the camera does not make it right. And like everybody else said, what's the point? Youtube ANY coaster name and there are several videos already out there. Check out some of the non professional ones. That's what yours will look like.

What's the point?

I'd to take my own videos of my own experience for my own trip videos and usage later on. I understand that great POV's exist these days, a lot through this site and some elsewhere, but I can't exactly download those videos and use them for my own editing purposes. Plus videos taken on a different day, in different conditions, and without me or anyone else involved have absolutely no personal connection to me and wouldn't do anything for me when viewed afterwards. It's the same reason why I don't just watch beer commercials to remember hanging out with my buddies. The beer may be the same but everything else is different.

I'm not trying to do anything against the park rules, but there have been several places I've filmed with a gopro with no issues and with it being very visible. I was more looking for if it was even breaking the rules or not. Apparently it is at a lot of places, and I'm not gonna ask this site to be a web of information on rule breaking (though I'm sure there are countless tidbits on avoiding lapbar staplers, snapping cables on flyers, etc.).

I've filmed several rides with gopros and other cameras, and of course they were very fun.

Just thought I would share a favorite GoPro experience of mine...

In my time as a CP employee, I noticed this older teenager waiting in line for the front of GateKeeper was wearing a GoPro harness. Before he was seated, I politely said, "Make sure you place your camera and harness into the bin before you ride, Thank You." In the busy sequence of unloading then loading I notice him go to the bin and put something in it. Moving quickly thought I saw the camera still attached to the harness that was placed in the bin. Walking to the train, I was suspicious of his hand placement so I asked if anything was in his hands and he showed me two empty hands. Because I'm not a cop who can search someone excessively, I checked the rest of the restraints and cleared the train for dispatch. Seconds later I get a call from controls that the front seat on my side had a camera but the controls operator decided not to stop the train at the very top of the lift. I said back, "No worries, I got this." Right as his train parked in the station I walked up to him and sternly said, "Security may or may not be at the bottom of the stairs to remove you from the park for recording the ride." I'm pretty sure the and his friend kid crapped their pants. They were reluctant to even move off the platform. The shame and fear on their faces was hilarious. A few other guests getting on the next train asked if I was really serious, I just smiled and replied, "Nope, I just don't like being lied to."

I used to be in the camp of not worrying about GoPros being secured to guests bodies. However, the enlightening detail for me is the possibility a guest could record a mechanical breakdown or evacuation. The last thing a park needs for PR is a video floating around which opens Pandora's Box for sensationalism, overreaction, and misinformed speculation because a coaster stopped on a lift or brake run and required a walk-down. So to reduce the chances, GoPros are not permitted on roller coasters or water rides in my place of work.

Despite camera technology getting smaller and lighter, a GoPro coming loose, either by mount malfunction or user error, can still be lethal or cause serious injury. Such was the case with Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge at Universal, which no-longer duels as the result of a loose object injuring a guest.

Always follow the rules. At the few parks that DO allow filming, perhaps consider purchasing a pair of Pivothead sunglasses, which are arguably safer when combined with a behind-the-ear strap.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, sure, except for that whole part that Six Flags, Cedar Fair, and several other chains do NOT ALLOW FILMING. So, while sunglasses are allowed, filming the ride is not. Just because they don't catch the camera does not make it right. And like everybody else said, what's the point? Youtube ANY coaster name and there are several videos already out there. Check out some of the non professional ones. That's what yours will look like.

What's the point?

This is something that I personally do wonder about. I understand the camera and loose article thing, but really, take out the whole loose article factor, then what is honestly the problem?

Liability, copyright, idk?

This is something that I personally do wonder about. I understand the camera and loose article thing, but really, take out the whole loose article factor, then what is honestly the problem?

Liability, copyright, idk?

Heard this straight out of my "big boss's" (a.k.a Park President's) mouth. He acknowledges that accidents or breakdowns are incredibly rare, but he does not want to ever have something of that nature recorded and posted online or spread through media outlets. For example, would you want to have an accident POV of your Vekoma Boomerang going viral?