TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

#BanSelfieSticks - Help Us Spread The Word!

So Disney World has had enough issues that they have completely banned them from all of the parks at the resort. Thoughts?

http://attractionsmagazine.com/selfie-sticks-longer-allowed-walt-disney-world/

I just saw this on twitter, and I think it's GRRREAT! F those things, seriously... I understand it makes your photography easier, but it absolutely ruins everyone else's attempt at photography.

This is the greater issue for me: what's with selfies anyway? When did people's lives just become one big social media posting? Do you really need to put your face in the picture for me to know you went somewhere? I don't want to see your face, I already know what you look like; I want to see a picture of the cool stuff, not of you!

Great job, Disney!

However...

You still suck for laying off U.S. workers and substituting cheaper outsourced overseas personnel for IT your work. We know Disney has absolutely no loyalty to the country of its origin, so I suggest you all start re-evaluating your own loyalties. Is there a topic here on this issue?

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's great to hear that DLP is also banning them, I've just returned from there and while in general it's not too bad, Main Street and the hub is terrible for selfie sticks. People just walk about with them extended at all angles, I unintentionally hit one with our stroller at one point, it's just hazardous. I did see a few out in the Frozen Sing-a-Long also, so this should really improve the guest experience.

Corey Taylor from Slipknot annoyed by ‘Dumb Invention’

Speaking with NME, the vocalist was asked about the emergence of Selfie Sticks and he let rip with a classic rant. “Oh my *****ing God, Selfie Sticks, **** me. Whenever I see one I’m like ‘Seriously?!’ There’s a whole ****ng industry making hundreds of thousands of dollars probably every day just so we can take big ****ing pictures of our own stupid faces?”

People are more concerned about showing their Facebook friends & Twitter followers that they're doing something, rather than just enjoying the experience without having to lug around an idiotic piece of self-absorbed technology. Strange world we live in today.

These need to be banned in every public place, and you should be considered a flight risk by owning one because clearly you don't make wise decisions.

So, I understand the problem wit taking selfie sticks on rides. That should go without saying. It's a loose article. Point blank. But no one is being hurt if people are using them for photos of themselves or capturing outward facing shots while walking around. Let's say, for example, you're shooting a video for your YouTube channel, you can get some great shots with the elevation a selfie stick can provide. My opinion, utilizing these isn't hurting anyone one if its not on a ride, sure you look stupid, but that's someone else's' prerogative. Really.

That's the thing, nobody visiting the park trying to enjoy their day gives a flying s*** about a stupid YouTube channel, or the outward facing shots they're trying to make. It's just obnoxious, in the way and downright inconsiderate. People these days are inconsiderate enough as it is with their stupid phones and bluetooth headsets, we don't need yet ANOTHER piece of equipment to become accepted as "normal" to add to the idiocity.

Thank GOD Disney is banning these and i hope this happens at more parks and in general public places as well. Although I kinda wish some asshat pulling out a selfie stick on a ride would have impaled them self first just to incorporate some sort of Darwinism into these retarded things.

#banselfiesticks everywhere 4 life

So, I understand the problem wit taking selfie sticks on rides. That should go without saying. It's a loose article. Point blank. But no one is being hurt if people are using them for photos of themselves or capturing outward facing shots while walking around. Let's say, for example, you're shooting a video for your YouTube channel, you can get some great shots with the elevation a selfie stick can provide. My opinion, utilizing these isn't hurting anyone one if its not on a ride, sure you look stupid, but that's someone else's' prerogative. Really.

If people were actually *respectful* of others and ONLY used them to take personal photos, etc, your argument would be totally valid. But in reality, humanity is complete garbage and people were unable to police themselves and NOT try to sneak them on rides or block other people's views at shows/parades, etc, and the end result has been people getting injured on rides, rides being E-Stopped due to idiot people, or arguments or fights breaking out at shows.

Trust me, Disney TRIED to accommodate everyone for people to use them for personal photos but the reality is that humans suck and that just didn't work.

Don't blame the parks, blame humanity.

Oh, and you do look completely stupid using them. So there is that.

Edited by robbalvey

I hope this rule passes on to the other park chains as well. People are getting too self absorbed with seeing their goofy asses every two damn minutes on facebook or other social media. I for one can't stand to see my ugly mug that often in a photo.

Corey Taylor from Slipknot annoyed by ‘Dumb Invention’

Speaking with NME, the vocalist was asked about the emergence of Selfie Sticks and he let rip with a classic rant. “Oh my *****ing God, Selfie Sticks, **** me. Whenever I see one I’m like ‘Seriously?!’ There’s a whole ****ng industry making hundreds of thousands of dollars probably every day just so we can take big ****ing pictures of our own stupid faces?”

I can only imagine him mad. BTW would it be a selfie if he was wearing his mask?

We were at a waterpark resort the last few days, and saw a good number of these sticks. The worst it got was when a group was using one in the super crowded wave pool, I was scared and wondering if someone was going to get hit by it in the chaos of the waves. I could imagine that hurting...I was actually expecting the lifeguards to say something, but they never did.

https://np.reddit.com/r/offbeat/comments/3bjjiy/disney_confirms_selfie_stick_ban_at_theme_parks/csmvru7

A detailed explanation of why selfie sticks were banned. Nothing new that we didnt know but it basically comes down to as Robb said, people cant police themselves

Yup, pretty much. The most disappointing part of that post was this:

We originally tried banning them on rides ... People still kept bringing them on

People are just so self-entitled that they feel rules do not apply to them. While I think it's good that Disney has taken a stronger stance on this, they really shouldn't have had to. While in Japan over the last four weeks we saw several selfie sticks being used but NONE of them were ever being used in a way that would annoy or endanger other guests. If people could have just been respectful or followed the rules, none of this would have ever happened.

But so many people are blaming Disney and not humanity, which is exactly where the real trouble lies.

^

Anyone else see this in the news?

Selfie Stick Saves Lives Of Former Marine And Family Caught In Riptide

When a former marine and his 16-year-old daughter got caught in a riptide in Nantucket on Tuesday, a “selfie stick” came to the rescue and saved the family from a potentially tragic outcome.

Derrick Johns, a former Marine from Austin, Texas, was swimming with his daughter Erynn and trying to film the Nobadeer Beach waves with a GoPro camera attached to a selfie stick.

However, it didn’t take long for them to realize that they had gotten caught in a riptide and were unable to swim to shore.

The father and daughter fought the crashing ocean, screaming “I can’t!” and “Come on!”

Jennifer Johns, Derrick’s wife, ran into the water upon seeing her family struggling to fight the tide, only to get caught in it herself.

“They got pummeled in the tide for some time,” Derrick Johns said in a phone interview with The Boston Globe. “All I saw was my wife and daughter not coming up.”

Johns, although semiconscious and losing strength, managed to use the selfie stick to pull his daughter closer to shore where a stranger in an orange swimsuit retrieved her.

The stranger in orange has since been identified as 55-year-old Tommy Vach, who told The Boston Globe that risking his life to help save the Johns family was “a no-brainer.”

While lifeguards ran out to rescue Jennifer, Vachs went back into the tide to try to grab Derrick.

“I was a Marine, and I’ve been in some pretty harrowing situations,” Derrick Johns said. “That one was the scariest, because it wasn’t just me, it was my wife and daughter.”

Now that the entire Johns family is safe, they are try to enjoy the remainder of their summer vacation.

Edited by michaellynn4