TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

#BanSelfieSticks - Help Us Spread The Word!

Saw them all over Wonderland on Saturday. I'm surprised they let people into the parks with them. They seem quite substantial and I could easily see one being used as a weapon. As paranoid as theme parks are about such things, I'm shocked they didn't think of that before I did.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't belive to my eyes!! Someone took a Selfie Stick on a Vekoma Boomerang and a child was next to her!!!!! And she has uploaded a photo of it in on Instagram!!

Link:

Wait a second...there are total morons outside of the US?

I kinda thought it was weird when I went to an amusement park in Georgia and actually saw them selling Selfie Sticks at a gift shop.

20150606_120637.thumb.jpg.17244d63b530d797c158b1e26726c877.jpg

I actually saw them selling Selfie Sticks at Wild Adventures in Valdosta Georgia. Then again that park doesn't really seem to know what a loose article is.

• 2 weeks later...
I kinda thought it was weird when I went to an amusement park in Georgia and actually saw them selling Selfie Sticks at a gift shop.

They sell them at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, too.

spotted My First Selfie at

My Home Park!

Playland(PNE)

EDIT to add: They did use the selfie stick but only on the ground, with the coaster in background, so credit to them for that.

IMG_7226.JPG.3530bd0c3cb9c13fc9b59d463c2b10a5.JPG

She (thinking): Put the *^#@&*$$&* thing away already!

He (thinking): Uuuuuh, is this right? I dunno. Looks like a putter, ha ha. Hey - where's the Mini Golf at, LOL!

So, I understand the problem wit taking selfie sticks on rides. That should go without saying. It's a loose article. Point blank. But no one is being hurt if people are using them for photos of themselves or capturing outward facing shots while walking around. Let's say, for example, you're shooting a video for your YouTube channel, you can get some great shots with the elevation a selfie stick can provide. My opinion, utilizing these isn't hurting anyone one if its not on a ride, sure you look stupid, but that's someone else's' prerogative. Really.

So, I understand the problem wit taking selfie sticks on rides. That should go without saying. It's a loose article. Point blank. But no one is being hurt if people are using them for photos of themselves or capturing outward facing shots while walking around. Let's say, for example, you're shooting a video for your YouTube channel, you can get some great shots with the elevation a selfie stick can provide. My opinion, utilizing these isn't hurting anyone one if its not on a ride, sure you look stupid, but that's someone else's' prerogative. Really.

I think picture 2 and 3 in the very first post show whats wrong with using the elevation of a selfie stick in the wrong places, if you're in an arena or a show and your raising it way above your head to shoot a "video for your YouTube" then your getting in the way of people behind trying to enjoy the show. As a teacher I've also seen a domino effect during school performances. Parents always have selfie sticks, especially in Korea, and as soon as some-one at the front raises a selfie stick to get pictures of their children, parents behind start to raise them since they can't get a shot and so on....

The lack of a stablizer makes this some what impractical for video. A flycam (portable) , jibcrane (not necessarily portable...), etc. is a better option IMO. On-ride, loose articles shouldn't be permitted period, and god forbid thoseextending past tested clearances.

The lack of a stablizer makes this some what impractical for video. A flycam (portable) , jibcrane (not necessarily portable...), etc. is a better option IMO. On-ride, loose articles shouldn't be permitted period, and god forbid thoseextending past tested clearances.

Believe it or not, it does help with stability. Does't seem like it would, but from my experience, footage that I've shot on my gopro with a stick looks significantly less shaky than hand held footage.

Also wanted to note, doesn't look like this selfie stick ban campaign is going well. It appears the Cedar Fair parks are actually selling them. I think time would be better spent trying to get them prohibited at inappropriate places like live performances and rides