TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Take a bobsleigh ride!

Hey all!

I have traveled from Australia to Canada for a second season to work at Winsport Canada (also known as Canada Olympic Park) in Calgary. We have a Public Bobsleigh program where public can actually ride down the bobsleigh track, as part of my job I actually get to ride the bob if it isn't full. I thought I would share with all of you how it looks!

The first time I rode I expected it to kind of be like a roller coaster. Wow was I wrong! It's very rough, but at the same time very smooth. The g force is nothing like I have ever experienced. The first few times you ride your head literally gets pushed down into your chest!

There are 14 corners, which you experience 5gs TWICE, you hit speeds up to 125kmph (77mph) and travel 1.5km (0.93 miles) in 62 seconds!

Here are the videos!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

This isn't me, however it is the riders first time. As you can see their head gets pushed down in the corners.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

This is me on my 6th run. 2nd man position is a lot smoother and you don't get thrown around nearly as much.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Again this is me in 4th man position. This would have been my 8th run on the track, if you compare it to the first video you will notice I don't get thrown around as much and my head isn't pushed down by the forces.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Calgary park turned into a profit for them as it's used year round for other Olympic world participants,

and then they figured out how to get a tourist attraction in, as well. Win-Win!

Although they are quite pricey I thoroughly enjoyed the two Bobsled runs I have done. I did the Calgary course in summer of 2012 with Chris Spring as my driver.

Back in 2011, I did the Bobsled (and Skeleton) run at Lake Placid during the winter.

Of course, I preferred the more "natural" winter feeling on ice and blades in cold weather.

One of these years I'll go ahead and do a bobsled run. It'll happen. I did luge a couple years ago - strangely enough, Muskegon, MI has a luge course that has open luging most days. It was enormously difficult to control, and I was shocked by how tight my muscles were afterwards.

There is also one outside Riga in Latvia which you can ride. It cost about £50 or $75 to do a run and it lasts about a minute but it was certainly worth it. The forces are just insane. Didn't realise there were a few others you could have a go on so will certainly be aiming for them If I am ever in the right area.

There is also one outside Riga in Latvia which you can ride. It cost about £50 or $75 to do a run and it lasts about a minute but it was certainly worth it. The forces are just insane. Didn't realise there were a few others you could have a go on so will certainly be aiming for them If I am ever in the right area.

Are you required to shout "Feel the rhythm, feel the rhyme, get on up, Its bobsled time!"

That is completely optional, however that quote is in our safety video!

Riders don't get to steer and for a good reason too, the sleds can easily tip over as they have a higher center of gravity than the actual race sleds. If the sled tips at any stage you will STILL make it to the finish line. But don't worry, our pilots have never tipped with the public, only with staff.

There aren't really any "greyout" spots, I think because you are in and out of the corners so quickly!

I will hopefully have a few more videos to come including the view from the pilots helmet. Glad you guys are enjoying them.

Are you required to shout "Feel the rhythm, feel the rhyme, get on up, Its bobsled time!"

That is completely optional, however that quote is in our safety video!

This seems like an amazing experience! I rarely get to see snow, so that bobsled seems super appealing