TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

A little help for riding a Sky Screamer?

First off, I want to apologize for admitting to breaking park rules over a park website. However, this was completely unintentional, and I certainly didn't want this to happen.

So I will admit that I did do something that sounds really dumb back when I was 8 years old (in June of 2006). I was at Cedar Point with my cousins like I was every summer at the time. One of the first rides we rode was the Wave Swinger (aka the swings over in Frontier town).

I decided to remove my glasses and leave them with my Aunt Laura. Turns out, it may have been better to just keep them on! Because, the ride stopped about 6 feet off the ground. I wasn't paying too much attention to the people around me and I thought it was time to get off. Because I am visually impaired, I don't have good depth perception especially without my glasses, and so that's why I thought it was time to get off the ride (I thought it was in the load/unload position). So

I got off.

I slipped out of the swing, and then I was hanging from the chair. That's when I realized it wasn't time to get out but I had no other choice but to let go. Even then though, I was pretty tall (about 56 inches) so it wasn't a long way down, but it was still very frightening, not to mention I was almost hit in the head by someone's leg. That's when the ride operator called me over. And man he was not happy nor was my family! I tried explaining that it was an accident, but at the time, they did not believe me.

I finally did manage to get them to believe me when we brought up this incident about 3 years later and I explained it better. I didn't know the terms that I do now and also I have a bit of trouble talking.

I finally rode a ride that was the exact same thing at the Ohio State Fair in 2009. I saw people on the ride wearing their glasses so I thought it'd be okay to finally ride a swing ride again. I was a bit hesitant, but after watching about 3 ride cycles of that thing to make sure it wouldn't stop in the air and then just slowly lower like the one at Cedar Point, I manned up and got on. In fact, I was riding with a friend whom was completely blind and she was perfectly fine. However, when it stopped, I actually sat there for awhile to listen for people getting out.

I then actually rode the exact same Wave Swinger ride at Cedar Point again when I was 13 after a long argument with myself about doing that and watching the ride multiple times. I wasn't sure if they would let me keep my glasses on (they're quite strict about that) but they didn't say anything to me about it. And to my surprise, it didn't stop in the air like it used to.

So because I go to a school for disabled children, I told this story to my class, and surprisingly, a few of my classmates who also don't see well, said that they had similar incidents happen to them at amusement parks.

Granted that this also wasn't my only incident on a ride involving my visual impairment. In fact, that same visit to Cedar Point a day later, I was driving one of the Cadillac cars and passed the stop sign because it was on my right side, where I'm almost totally blind out of that eye, and I don't have good peripheral vision. And I've never driven one of those since (probably not a good idea anyway).

And I've come to find out that these kinds of incidents among visually impaired people and swing rides actually aren't that uncommon.

Here's my problem today.

So I am often still paranoid while on swing rides, even almost 9 years later. However, I may be going to Six Flags New England sometime in the coming years with my brother whom lives in Massachusetts. I've watched POV's of the New England Sky Screamer and it just looks like a recipe for the same incident to happen again. Only this time, the ride is over 400 feet tall, and it stops about 20 feet in the air before lowering OVER BLANK PAVEMENT! Not to mention the seats are pretty far apart so you can't really see or hear the others. My fear is my glasses falling over 400 feet and shattering into a million pieces or even hurting someone. I cannot attach a head strap to them. I have worn them on the wind seeker at Cedar Point before, but that ride is so slow they can't possibly fall off unless you shook your head a bunch. But the NESS looks really fast, so they could blow off easily. And I'm not just concerned about myself, I'm concerned about my brother too because he's also visually impaired. And he's never ridden this because he hasn't been to SFNE in almost 10 years. And if the same incident were to happen on this ride whether to me or my brother, because it's much higher up, we could be seriously hurt.

And on another note, my brother doesn't even know I ever did anything like this. And he would likely want to go on this ride and me to go on with him. And this story is so ridiculous, it'd be hard to get him to understand especially since he could easily put me on Bizzaro or Batman with no problem since I go on rides like those all the time and am looking forward to them, but I'd be afraid of a skyscreamer!

So can anyone help me with this? Any tips or experiences you can share? I really am sorry this sounds stupid but I figured I could ask some of the experts like that are on this site. I really hope you guys understand.

Edited by TheHalonSystem

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm understanding the problem correctly then you don't have anything to worry about.

The New England Sky Screamer doesn't have restraints like a normal swing ride. They look similar but there's a seatbelt and a "crotch strap" (their words not mine, lol) and they're locked and unlocked electronically by the operator. Once the operator locks them they're not going anywhere and you're not getting out of that ride until it's safely on the ground and the restraints are unlocked.

I hope I understood your concerns correctly and I hope that explanation helped. The restraints are nothing like the ones on a regular swing ride though.

Edited by coasterbill

If you are worried about your glasses coming off, don't. I wear mine all the time on Texas SkyScreamer.

As far as coming out of the ride prematurely, you don't have to worry about their either. The seats are designed and angled to prevent you from getting out of them during the ride. Unlike a wave swinger, the restraining strap around your torso and between your legs and locked in position electronically and cannot be undone until the ride is on the ground.

Here is a little video of yours truly. You can see how the straps are placed and how it accentuates my belly. Man I need to go on a diet...

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

P.S. I really wasn't scared of the ride, I believe Shawn and I rode it some 15 times on media day, it's quite relaxing.

If I'm understanding the problem correctly then you don't have anything to worry about.

Yes thank you! I have ridden rides kinda like mini sky screamers at carnivals and I wonder if they're designed the same way because I always thought they were just like regular wave Swinger seats with just seat belts. But I've never tried to undo it mid ride because I'm not stupid.

If you are worried about your glasses coming off, don't. I wear mine all the time on Texas SkyScreamer.

Well mine kinda slide off my face easily and also the lens pops out easily (which happened on Disaster Transport when I was 5 and that taught me to not wear my glasses on rides. Unfortunately, this pair of glasses has nowhere to attach a strap. We've tried before.

you should be fine, but if in doubt, here is my suggestion:

when boarding, tell the operator that you are visually impaired, and ask them to please double-check your restraints for you.

at the time they are checking, ask them to please let you know when it is safe to stand up at the end of the ride.

they should be happy to help you out, and you won't need to worry

enjoy your rides!

best,

bert

I love this thread because my missus, who hasn't been to my home park much in the last few years, has yet to ride the Sky Screamer and I just bought her her own season pass for 2015. Just yesterday we were discussing what I'd like to get her to try, when she informed me she'd have to have a few pints of liquid courage in order to do Sky Screamer hah. I spent part of today posting POV's to her FB page and her responding "No" lol.

Personally I've only done it twice, but I don't think its all that scary, though I haven't done one of the 400ft'ers. But I don't have much of a fear of heights... Also, we have the tallest drop ride & coaster on the planet at our park so Sky Screamer is a candlelit massage in comparison.

Anyways, co-sign with everyone ^ on just asking an op before you board. Explain your situation and they'll usually help, that's their job.

From the looks of it, you made a mistake but learned from it. In this situation, I'd also agree with asking the ride ops if you can wear glasses due to visual impairment (if you want) and to double check your restraints. Also, if you can, I would wait until others get off before you do. Also, if it helps, perhaps you could have a ride op let you know when it would be safe to get off.

My glasses are constantly falling off my face when I move around and yet the SFNE Sky Screamer gave me no problems at all. If you're still worried you can use one or both hands to hold onto them, I've had to do this on some coasters! And to echo the rest of the commenters, if you have any concerns always let a ride operator know. SFNE probably has the nicest ride ops (and staff in general) out of any park I've ever been to and they would gladly accommodate your needs.

• 1 month later...

Guys, I also thought of another idea of something I should do.

I should also watch a video of the ride and when it stops before lowering to the ground, I can count to see how long it takes to get on the ground. And I'll do the same again when seeing the ride in person. So that way when I'm on the ride, when it stops in the air before lowering, I if I can't see how high up I am, I'll know how long it will be before it is safe to get out.

And FYI, I will probably add about 10-20 seconds to the time I recorded from it stopping to being on the ground, just to be safe.

Now if it breaks down in that position, well then that's a problem, haha.

1) The seats on the StarFlyer (Six Flags' Sky Screamers) are in pairs, so you could ride with a friend/family member if you're worried you won't hear the ride ops' spiel about remaining seated or the okay to disembark.

2) It is obvious even without being able to see when the ride stops spinning and a moment later is lowered to the ground. You just need to pay attention to what's going on at the end of the ride. You should be hyper aware after your previous experience, so I wouldn't worry about forgetting this time and trying to get out before it's safe to do so.

As others have said, you should be okay keeping your glasses on during a Sky Screamer ride. I have ridden the Sky Screamer at SFStL several times without even thinking twice about losing my glasses. The best part of the ride is the view.

1) The seats on the StarFlyer (Six Flags' Sky Screamers) are in pairs, so you could ride with a friend/family member if you're worried you won't hear the ride ops' spiel about remaining seated or the okay to disembark.

2) It is obvious even without being able to see when the ride stops spinning and a moment later is lowered to the ground. You just need to pay attention to what's going on at the end of the ride. You should be hyper aware after your previous experience, so I wouldn't worry about forgetting this time and trying to get out before it's safe to do so.

As others have said, you should be okay keeping your glasses on during a Sky Screamer ride. I have ridden the Sky Screamer at SFStL several times without even thinking twice about losing my glasses. The best part of the ride is the view.

Here's my problem there. My brother is the one going with me and he is also visually impaired. Now, we could meet up with someone that is not like his adoptive father, my father, or his girlfriend. I do also have a pretty good relationship with him too so I probably should just try to explain, because I don't want him to make the same mistake as me, which is actually my main concern. Idk why though some lower so slowly to the point where I can't feel it, maybe that's just me.

As for being "hyper aware" I'm more like "giga aware" (hahahahahaha coaster pun) on those things. And I actually just got a new pair of glasses that can have a strap attached and also don't slide off as easily.

• 1 year later...
SFNE probably has the nicest ride ops (and staff in general) out of any park I've ever been to and they would gladly accommodate your needs.

You must have low standards for ride ops.

Your necromancer skills are insane, but Six Flags as a whole seems to have low standards for ride ops anyway.