TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Are Alpine Coasters credits?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I personally wouldn't count them, but there are no rules for what you count on your list. I've known people who count log flumes, dark rides and cycle monorails as roller coasters along with Aline Coasters and other things that aren't actually roller coasters as a way to "pad their count" (I see it as a sign of insecurity), so if you want to count them, knock yourself out!

Edited by robbalvey

What? Some people are counting log and dark rides as a credit?!

Yes, some people count dark rides like the Ghost Train at Blackpool or Calico Mine Train at Knott's because there is a point where they either have a "drop" or coast on gravity for some time. Other people I know also count Splash Mountain because of the part that has a drop that goes uphill.

I personally don't count Alpine Coasters for several reasons:

1. It's just simply not that important to me to have a bunch of questionable rides on my list to increase my number by the small amount of Alpine Coasters that I've ridden.

2. While yes, they may have a lift hill, operate on gravity, and have a break run, to me they aren't "roller coasters" in the traditional sense, they are more like an "xtreme activity" like ziplining or bungee jumping.

3. The fact that you can control your own speed and come to a complete stop if you wanted to kind of kills it for me. Yes, people have said "But what about the Scenic Railways with the brakeman?" But in those examples, YOU don't control it, the ride operator does.

4. When it comes down to it, I find it's easier to NOT count something than have to count something and come up with all kinds of excuses of why you do.

End of the day - If you find yourself having to explain WHY you count something, you probably shouldn't be counting it. And the most IMPORTANT thing to remember...

YOU WILL NOT GET ANY MORE OR LESS BLOW JOBS BECAUSE OF YOUR COASTER COUNT!!!

It's really not that important. What is more important? HAVING FUN! Stop worrying about how many coasters you've ridden and focus on the fun!

End of the day - If you find yourself having to explain WHY you count something, you probably shouldn't be counting it. And the most IMPORTANT thing to remember...

What? Base treachery! I have been deceived!

What? Base treachery! I have been deceived!

I personally don't. I'm sticking to RCDB's definition, whatever's in that website is a credit for me.

Right, but even that has it's flaws. For example, RCDB does not list Olympia Looping or Alpina Bahn and I'm pretty sure this should count as a roller coaster.

I don't follow anyone else's list but my own. I also stopped counting in 2012 which makes things even easier now. I just ride stuff for fun and not worry if it's a credit or not!

Edited by robbalvey

For me, counting alpine coasters comes down to a single aspect of them: Do you think the ability to self-brake makes them not a rollercoaster?

And for me, it doesn't. You can quite easily perform the entire attraction without ever once touching the brake. That includes the operator starting your ride, the lift hill dragging you all the way to the top, and the series of downward spirals and turns while coasting 100% of the time on steel rails powered only by gravity. It feels much more of a coaster than any wacky worm.

I think it just depends on how it feels to you. I've only been on one alpine coaster, and it definitely felt like a roller coaster, so I count it. I don't count log flumes, alpine slides, dark rides, non-permanent traveling/fair coasters or powered coasters. I also don't count moved or re-themed coasters as a second credit, or racing coasters as two credits. Overall I'd say my count is more "strict" than most people, but to me an alpine coaster is definitely a roller coaster. In the end, as Robb said, it doesn't matter what someone else counts or doesn't.

I've only been on one alpine coaster, and it definitely felt like a roller coaster

I totally agree with this on multiple levels. Yes, they do actually *feel* like a roller coaster, in fact, in this video, you can even hear my say how I think this particular one is better than most of Six Flags coasters (true story!) BUT...like you've said "I've only been on one..." I, too have only been on a handful, maybe 10 at the most. So I err on the side of not counting them only to not have to explain it later. And it's not as though counting it or not counting it is really going to impact anyone's list that much.

I kind of wish in a way there was some rules for counting and it would kind of make things a lot easier. But then that would mean everyone would have to agree on said list, and I know for me, that list would not include any stupid kiddie coasters!

Edited by robbalvey

On that note, this would be my list of "counting rules" if I was in charge of the world. (Which would probably be a bad idea)

- No powered coasters

- No Alpine Slides or Alpine Coasters

- No Log Flumes, Free Falls, Cycle Monorails, or Dark Rides.

- No Kiddie Coasters (Wacky Worms, Dragon Wagons, Miler "Taxi-Jam Sized" Juniors, Miner Mike's, Butterflys, crappy Chinese sliding dragon coasters, etc.)

- No Re-located Coasters (you can count them ONCE)

- No "Backyard" coasters (if you DO count these, come by our house and I'll roll you down a hill in a shopping cart for $50! Each ride is a new credit!)

- Oh, and just to annoy people, no "Half-Pipes or Superman: The Escape"

While I realize the "No Kiddie Coasters" thing is a grey area, I would draw the line at a Vekoma Roller Skater. If it's that sized or bigger, fine.

And the "rule of thumb" would be - "If you have to question if it's a credit, then it's probably not."

I sort of think this would make things more fair and would get rid of all this awful "credit whoring" and force people to focus on quality over quantity, which has been kind of a thing of mine lately.

I have far more respect for someone who is all "I've ridden all the B&Ms in the country" rather than "I flew to some foreign country just to ride crappy coasters to prove I don't have a small penis."

Thoughts?

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Robb, I totally I agree with the Alpine Slides. For the life of me, I cannot think of a way to consider one as a coaster. I actually did debate this with myself to justify making a special trip to ride one about an hour away from where I live.

As for credit whoring, I can't deny that I am one. However, I'm not dumb enough to drive 800 miles just for a damn Wacky Worm. My rule of thumb for that would be "It's here and they'll let me on, so I might as well ride it). I don't see the harm in it if you're not doing it stupidly, like flying all the way to Whatever-istan just to credit whore.

As for this...

- No "Backyard" coasters (if you DO count these, come by our house and I'll roll you down a hill in a shopping cart for $50! Each ride is a new credit!)

You'd better be careful, you may have a bunch of ACErs lined up at your door!

Thoughts?

I use RCDB as reference to my count + I count travelling rides that are "obviously rollercoasters". However I have pretty much stopped caring about my count and while I do add new credits to my coastercount account (I think I'm around 140), I will not go on any rides just to get the credit, and kiddie coasters I will walk straight past. When I go on a coaster its because I want to go on it, not because I need it on my list. Its the same with parks, I will not go to any parks to get a credit, I go to a park because I want to go there.

You'd better be careful, you may have a bunch of ACErs lined up at your door!

I will GLADLY take their money!!!

I'm not dumb enough to drive 800 miles just for a damn Wacky Worm. My rule of thumb for that would be "It's here and they'll let me on, so I might as well ride it). I don't see the harm in it if you're not doing it stupidly, like flying all the way to Whatever-istan just to credit whore.

I do agree with this as well. I think all the kiddie coasters I've been on in recent years have been when we were on a trip with a group and there was a kiddie coaster not far out of the way. That being said, outside of the TPR Tours, I don't think I've personally gone out of the way, even just a few miles, for a "credit" in years. Case in point, even our last trips to India and Japan we were within 10 or 15 miles of some crappy kiddie "credit" that we skipped just because we wanted to focus more time on quality or doing other things in said country rather that riding some crappy coaster just to pad the count.

Edited by robbalvey

I'm not dumb enough to drive 800 miles just for a damn Wacky Worm. My rule of thumb for that would be "It's here and they'll let me on, so I might as well ride it). I don't see the harm in it if you're not doing it stupidly, like flying all the way to Whatever-istan just to credit whore.

I do agree with this as well. I think all the kiddie coasters I've been on in recent years have been when we were on a trip with a group and there was a kiddie coaster not far out of the way. That being said, outside of the TPR Tours, I don't think I've personally gone out of the way, even just a few miles, for a "credit" in years. Case in point, even our last trips to India and Japan we were within 10 or 15 miles of some crappy kiddie "credit" that we skipped just because we wanted to focus more time on quality or doing other things in said country rather that riding some crappy coaster just to pad the count.

Makes perfect sense to me. I'm sure after the 500th crappy kiddie coaster, the idea of kiddie credits starts to lose its appeal. There have been plenty of times where I've also skipped them for various reasons. When my friend and I were planning our upcoming trip to the UAE, I debated on getting certain credits or seeing the cool sights. Obviously, the culture is going to be a much better choice than driving to some goofy city just to ride a bloody Zamperla mouse.

While I realize the "No Kiddie Coasters" thing is a grey area, I would draw the line at a Vekoma Roller Skater. If it's that sized or bigger, fine.

The Roller Skater is a good benchmark. I don't mind admitting that my count probably includes a dozen or so "questionable" credits. I tend to count every coaster I've been on, but the only time I've ridden anything smaller than a Roller Skater is on a TPR trip, and generally during some kind of ERT. I mean, I can't not count the Dog Fart coaster!

I do not count powered coasters, but I do count traveling, water, and alpine coasters. I don't care if it's self-braked on or, if it uses purely gravity, it's a coaster to me!

But I do think that collecting all B&Ms or Intamins or RMCs is a much more impressive feat than having X credits!

I really don't get why some people are so desperate to increase their coaster count, but I guess in that way it's a lot like penis size... but for me coaster credit is just a way to keep track of all the rides I've been on and remember which ones were amazing and which ones sucked. I think riding coasters should be all about having new experiences so I don't count clones or both sides of a racing coaster (unless their layouts differ). I'll occasionally go on a kiddie ride if I'm with other enthusiasts and there's no wait, but last time I went to Dorney I ditched my friends who were waiting a 20 minutes (the longest line in the park all day) for Woodstock Express just for the credit.

As for alpine coasters, I've only been on one. It was kinda cool since it was along the Great Wall of China, but the person I was with had the brakes on the whole time so it didn't feel like a coaster at all and didn't count for me. But I would say an alpine coaster with the brakes off could definitely be fun with some nice speed like that video Robb posted above, and I think that would count.

At the end of the day having a higher coaster count doesn't make you special or a more passionate enthusiast. One great coaster is worth more than 1000 mediocre coasters combined, and if you had fun on an alpine coaster, then it's more valuable than the rides you did for the sake of credit.