TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of fun/Sfstl photo trip report.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Xcalibur is VERY rare. The only one of it's kind in America. Not sure if there are any more operating overseas. There used to be one on the German fair circuit called Imperator. Rumour was one is in China.

Here is a video of one on the German fair circuit.

Before I rode the Boss, I figured that people just whined too much about how rough it was. At the bottom of the first drop, I quickly realized that I was wrong! Damn, that thing is awful! It has SUCH a promising layout. I wish the park would replace those god awful Gerstlauer trains and get real ones. It wouldn't be smooth, but it would be a hell of a lot better than it is now.

Boss could run PTC trains (it stole one from Screamin' Eagle for media day) but the structure wasn't designed to run that heavy of a train. The main problem I have with the current trains is the lack of padding.

The trains that the boss are running right now are very uncomfortable. Not sure if anyone else has the same problem, but my legs keep banging up against the bars that run down on both sides of my legs. Not sure why they have this design opposed to a T bar type restraint.

Xcalibur is VERY rare. The only one of it's kind in America. Not sure if there are any more operating overseas. There used to be one on the German fair circuit called Imperator. Rumour was one is in China.

Here is a video of one on the German fair circuit.

After looking into it a bit more, it seems that there has been several variations of this ride over the years. Here is a picture I found of a very simular ride(not sure of the year).

10897015_791016674306210_1262878274040993062_n.jpg.0fb6863f4b4826c54939a7ecf40864e5.jpg

I was really excited when SFSTL announced we were getting a CCI. The layout looked awesome! I was in awe when I first saw it in person in 2000. I had such high expectations. Then I rode it... bummer. Even the year it opened that thing beat the living hell out of me, such a disappointment.

RCS has a traveling version from Fabbri still in operation. It grabs a lot of attention at the OC Fair here in So Cali, especially at night. The SFStL version is from Bussink Rides and was originally a traveling version converted into a park model.

Yes, The Boss really is that bad. The park seems perfectly content keeping it as a POS. Our park president doesn't feel the transformation to Iron Boss is a good solution, because we'd have to shorten the ride. I don't think anyone complained about losing ride time on Iron Rattler in trade for a better experience.

Yes, The Boss really is that bad. The park seems perfectly content keeping it as a POS. Our park president doesn't feel the transformation to Iron Boss is a good solution, because we'd have to shorten the ride. I don't think anyone complained about losing ride time on Iron Rattler in trade for a better experience.

If I remember correctly I explained why Boss can't be done on the SFSTL thread but I will explain again. In order for Iron Boss to work it would require the removal of the first half of the ride (from the bottom of the double down to the bottom of the drop out of C-block) because as it sits as a wooden coaster the trains have a hard time making it to C-block and polyurethane wheels on steel track creates more friction meaning Iron Boss wouldn't make it. So then the ride would go straight from the double down to the second turn around (another valley point that would be reprofiled) from there it's a literal uphill battle for the train as it does the bunny hops by the station (the first hill happens to be another valley point) then there is the double up out of the helix (yet another valley point). After removing the valley points you would be left with the worst RMC coaster built. So the park is looking for other options for the ride since a conversion isn't cost effective or worth the money.

Would it be possible to just replace the current wooden track with the I-Box Steel Track and new Trains? Keep the layout as is - forgot all the crazy Iron Horse inversions - just a replacement. ??

They should be able to topper track the whole thing without the I-box steel track. I'm sure the other part of its roughness is the trains that are being used on it.

As mentioned in a previous post....

In order for Iron Boss to work it would require the removal of the first half of the ride (from the bottom of the double down to the bottom of the drop out of C-block) because as it sits as a wooden coaster the trains have a hard time making it to C-block and polyurethane wheels on steel track creates more friction meaning Iron Boss wouldn't make it.

Would it be possible to just replace the current wooden track with the I-Box Steel Track and new Trains? Keep the layout as is - forgot all the crazy Iron Horse inversions - just a replacement. ??

That's pretty much the point of Topper Track. Lower cost and lower maintenance. And much smoother.

That's pretty much the point of Topper Track. Lower cost and lower maintenance. And much smoother.

You also have to look at initial cost of putting in topper track, opposed to a total rebuild.

I think the best option would be to rip it down and start over. Could you imagine what kind of terrain coaster could be built in the bosses spot?

Well the problem is that Six Flags is a cheap ass when it comes to SFStL. I have been a 6-7 year lurker of this site and recently finally joined. There's a guy in SFStL's thread that is like Prozach or Zack or something; he's blatantly honest and real about how awful SFStL gets shafted. They don't get a coaster for 10+ years and are given a 26 year old Boomerang? That's straight up wrong. ANYWAY, my point is, people have often longed for a coaster in SFStL as parks around (SDC, WoF, HW, hell even KK) get really good additions. So SFStL is the park that's looked as like "Oh there's a Six Flags there, that's cute" instead of making people really want to go. It's fun on a low crowd day to kill some time and enjoy the outdoors....that's about it. I forgot, the Prozach dude or whatever is super right and you should read his ideas/honesty in the SFStL thread. It's all true....but then "hometowners" bash him for being negative. Truth hurts.

I think the best option would be to rip it down and start over. Could you imagine what kind of terrain coaster could be built in the bosses spot?

Well the problem is that Six Flags is a cheap A$$ when it comes to SFStL. I have been a 6-7 year lurker of this site and recently finally joined. There's a guy in SFStL's thread that is like Prozach or Zack or something; he's blatantly honest and real about how awful SFStL gets shafted. They don't get a coaster for 10+ years and are given a 26 year old Boomerang? That's straight up wrong. ANYWAY, my point is, people have often longed for a coaster in SFStL as parks around (SDC, WoF, HW, hell even KK) get really good additions. So SFStL is the park that's looked as like "Oh there's a Six Flags there, that's cute" instead of making people really want to go. It's fun on a low crowd day to kill some time and enjoy the outdoors....that's about it. I forgot, the Prozach dude or whatever is super right and you should read his ideas/honesty in the SFStL thread. It's all true....but then "hometowners" bash him for being negative. Truth hurts.

The new ride this year is far from cheap. Prozach does bring up good points and sometimes you can have a good conversation with him but is negativity can and sometimes does get old quick. Claiming that local enthusiast are blind to the problems is out right false. Everyone that post on the SFSTL thread has brought up the problems with the park. It has been noted for several years now that the park needs a signature steel coaster and minor improvements. The park recently has been getting the minor improvements need (HWfan and myself mention these improvements and point them out from time to time) but there is no need to bring up the lack of a signature steel coaster all the time. The park will get one when corporate sees fit. It's pointless to complain all the time about the same thing till it changes.

Well said. And I agree. It's nice to see the park get the small things out of the way and it's cool to see some insiders post things and talk about it......but it feels a slap to the face when it's a HUGE, GAPING hole is missing and I KNOW "corporate" knows....and they don't address it. Instead of wasting money on a 26 year old relocation of a boomerang, SAVE the money and add it up to something that we could use. Not to mention, hearing people sad about the lack of bumper cars is sad too. And it's no attack on you or the HFan or whatever, I'm/We're glad to get knowledge...just sucks to see something so easily addressed to be passed when parks like Chicago get an XFlight and new RMC build in 2.5 years.