TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Will B&M ever top the charts?

The problem is that B&M would make a 200 foot plus coaster and then trim it to dealth. Whats the point of making a 75 mph coaster if your going to put a trim every 300 feet on it. They make a coaster that suits the whole family. From 8 year old girls to 60 year old men. I get it. That is what parks want. They want that volume people eater that gives a super smooth butter ride. And B&M dominates that segment. I have nothing against B&M. I fricken love there old inverts. I rode I305 the day before Fury so maybe that's why I don't think its king bee like you do lol. Good ride though

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will we ever (the forseeable future) see B&M top an enthusiast poll or stand on top of many enthusiasts lists with a single ride?

If they keep putting those damn vest restraints on everything they build then no. For me those restraints ruin the ride.

I imagine that if B&M were to build something widely considered to be the best, or among the best in the world, it would be a hyper/giga coaster. Their loopers are fun, but unless they turned back the clock to 1996 or so and built a classic invert with modern ideas and engineering then it wouldn't be a world beater. I really liked Banshee and thought GateKeeper was pretty good but I don't see any argument for a ride like Valravn to be best in the world. Fury is the only "new" B&M ride that's highly praised from almost everyone that rides it.

There are a few B&Ms that I rank very highly. I love intensity so I will admit my top 10 is mostly Intamin and crazy wooden coasters, but I still rank the following very highly...

Fury 325

Goliath (SFOG)

Kraken

Alpengeist

Banshee

Kumba

Batman

I feel like Tatsu could also be in that list but I haven't had the pleasure of riding it yet.

I know I'm certainly one to complain about the newer B&Ms, and yeah. For the most part, I'm not a fan of the newer B&Ms, and I greatly prefer their older creations like Kumba, over their newer stuff like the Wing Riders. However, that's just because the parks want B&M to build rides like that. For instance, my favorite B&M is Fury 325, which is a really new B&M. And some of their new stuff looks fun, like Banshee, and that one Flyer in China that looks insane. So B&M certainly has the capable to build a great ride and stuff just as good, if not better than their classic 90s rides. Parks just want the tamer rides like the Wing Riders, and Inverts like OzIris and not their more intense rides.

So B&M certainly can top the charts. Parks just have to want to build crazier and more intense B&Ms.

Parks just want the tamer rides like the Wing Riders

Only in the world of coaster enthusiasts can you find people who refer to coasters like GateKeeper and Thunderbird as tame. From much personal experience, I can attest to the fact that no normal, non-enthusiast person I've been to CP with (which has been quite a few), thinks GateKeeper is anything less than wild, crazy, and really fun!

(I'm not targeting you singularly, XII, but just commenting on this common narrative regarding Wing Coasters, and B&M in general that I see on enthusiast sites.)

Simply put... no. Not with Intamin building coasters like Maverick, El Toro, Skyrush, and I305. And now with RMC building Outlaw Run, Medusa Steel, and Lightning Rod, there's even less of a chance.

B&M's best coaster (Fury 325) doesn't touch any of the 7 coasters I just listed.

Quite frankly those polls mean nothing to me. However they do matter to the GP. For example MF is quite over hyped because according to all GP it's the best coaster in the world. Parks can use that to promote their rides, I don't really care but when it comes to those polls I don't even look at them when deciding where to go next

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Simply put... no. Not with Intamin building coasters like Maverick, El Toro, Skyrush, and I305. And now with RMC building Outlaw Run, Medusa Steel, and Lightning Rod, there's even less of a chance.

B&M's best coaster (Fury 325) doesn't touch any of the 7 coasters I just listed.

That's a matter of opinion. I think Fury can go toe to toe with any of them. I think it's much better than Skyrush (lol Skyrush sucks, hi Boldikus) and I305. I give El Toro and Maverick the very slight edge over Fury but it's really close.

I've only ridden one RMC so I can't comment too much on that but I don't even think Wicked Cyclone (as great as it is) even belongs in the same conversation as Fury 325. Fury blows that ride to hell.

Fury is the exception though. That's the only coaster they've built in 15 years that even comes close to being as good as the vast majority of Intamin coasters. And I don't expect everyone to agree with me but it's not like I'm saying anything all that radical. I've seen a ton of people on this board list Fury as their new #1. I'm as critical of B&M as they come (for example, I think Banshee is forceless and overrated as hell... same with Leviathan) but Fury is an elite coaster.

That's a matter of opinion. I think Fury can go toe to toe with any of them. I think it's much better than Skyrush (lol Skyrush sucks, hi Boldikus) and I305. I give El Toro and Maverick the very slight edge over Fury but it's really close.

I've only ridden one RMC so I can't comment too much on that but I don't even think Wicked Cyclone (as great as it is) even belongs in the same conversation as Fury 325. Fury blows that ride to hell.

Fury is the exception though. That's the only coaster they've built in 15 years that even comes close to being as good as the vast majority of Intamin coasters. And I don't expect everyone to agree with me but it's not like I'm saying anything all that radical. I've seen a ton of people on this board list Fury as their new #1. I'm as critical of B&M as they come (for example, I think Banshee is forceless and overrated as hell... same with Leviathan) but Fury is an elite coaster.

I respect that, and I understand why a lot of people say Fury is the best. I guess I should preface my comment with "If you are into super intense coasters with ejector airtime and quick transitions..." Those factors are what I've deduced make the ideal coaster to many coaster enthusiasts. Those three factors are what bring Fury 325 down for me.

Keep in mind that I still rank Fury as my #5 steel - It's an excellent coaster and the only B&M to make it into my top 9 steel. I also rank it well over Wicked Cyclone and I agree on Banshee and Leviathan to a degree. Fury has a couple spots of great airtime, and keeps up it's speed very well - But overall it doesn't have the same caliber of intensity, airtime, or quick transitions.

EDIT - I also want to point out that too much those three factors bring down rankings for other enthusiasts. I know a lot of people like yourself who dislike I305 and Skyrush cause of intensity, disliking airtime (and blaming restraints), etc.

Yeah I don't see any B&M ever matching the intensity of an RMC or Intamin. I think Fury is a complete package with high intensity, great laterals, high speed and great airtime which is why I love it because it really has everything. That being said if your preference is heavily on any one of those things in particular you'll find an Intamin that surpasses it. I305 for example is more intense, Maverick has better laterals, El Toro has better airtime and Kingda Ka tries to rip your face off in the front row so it's all about personal preference. I just love Fury because it seems like a sample platter of all of my favorite coaster elements.

Interestingly enough I do think a few B&M's can compete with Intamin in the intensity department but they're decades old at this point and I never see them doing it again. Montu for example rips into the pretzel in the back row with such ridiculous ferocity that I don't completely understand how it doesn't kill everyone on the train. I really wish B&M still did things like that.

Interestingly enough I do think a few B&M's can compete with Intamin in the intensity department but they're decades old at this point and I never see them doing it again. Montu for example rips into the pretzel in the back row with such ridiculous ferocity that I don't completely understand how it doesn't kill everyone on the train. I really wish B&M still did things like that.

That's how I feel about Fire Dragon's immelman/helix thing before the loop in the front! One of my favorite inversions ever!

Montu for example rips into the pretzel in the back row with such ridiculous ferocity that I don't completely understand how it doesn't kill everyone on the train.

I swear that batwing was trying to take my face off!!