TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coasters That Are Criticized For Being Too Intense

Hello everyone,

What are some coasters that you feel are criticized by either the enthusiast community or GP for being too intense. I know a lot of these coasters are criticized because of some form of roughness, but honestly it can be any reason. Some that come to mind for me are:

Skyrush - violent airtime

Imtimidator 305 - excessive positive g-forces

The Voyage - very aggressive for a long period of time

Any thoughts, addendums, or additions?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While not regarded as intense overall, the first ride that came to my mind was Goliath at SFMM. The infamous Helix of Death.

Right here in Canada, two rides that are brought up regularly are Mindbender at Galaxyland, and the now demolished Skyrider at Canada's Wonderland. Personally loved both rides, and believe that in Skyrider's case, much of its hate was due to the rough, extremely forceful Helix. As a whole though I found the ride to have just the right ammount of intensity.

As for the mind bender out in Edmonton, most enthusiasts love it, but often the GP, at least the ones I know, say it's far too forceful.

I think the problem is more the restraints and not the airtime itself.

kingda ka

This is one of the few coasters that I have heard enthusiasts saying it might get too intense. For me it's fine but I do see why some would say that. After riding it two times in a row (thanks to flash pass) in the front I remember thinking: Wow this really was an intense experience and I don't know how many times in a row I would do it comfortably.

From somebody who visits Kings Island all the time, Invertigo can fall into this category. That ride is very intense and disorienting to the point of extreme dizziness. It's one of the few coasters that can make me really nauseous on a bad day. The g-forces on that thing are really strong, and the head banging makes it too much to handle. I only ride it when it has a station wait, which is really rare.

I'll agree about Voyage, even though it's my favorite roller coaster. I love it's intensity and aggressiveness, and how it packs so much into one ride, but it's because of that aggressiveness that I can only ride it 2 or 3 consecutive times before needing a break. I think my record is 5 or 6 during Holiwood Nights 2013. That was a crazy night haha.

Edited by SFOGdude25

I think the problem is more the restraints and not the airtime itself.

I heard the locals affectionately call it "ThighCrush." I lol'd.

I305's first turn must have been pretty intense before they re-profiled it. Wonder what that bit was like. Also Goliath @ SFMM used to be up on that list. Also, Deja Vu (while not too intense) is up there. I don't think I could stomach a marathon on that attraction.

Maverick has the perfect level of intensity for me. I thought Skyrush was great, but it's borderline (the most insane coaster I've ever ridden). Kingda Ka is too intense for my tastes.

Edited by cfc

Intensity really isn't much of a problem for me...when it comes to rides you'd think would do such. I absolutely LOVE Skyrush and have no problems with I305's intensity. There are some cases that tend to do me in, however...

-Boomerangs, particularly on the return trip. The backwards cobra roll usually is what makes me have to take it easy for a little while before riding something else. KI's Invertigo took this up another notch with its horrible shoulder harnesses.

-The Italian Job coasters. I thought they were fun, but it was particularly hot and sunny when I rode the one at Kings Dominion, and the helix at the start really made me feel nauseated. Since it was the first clone I'd been on, it left a bad taste in my mouth. I did like KI's better since I was prepared, but It also wasn't as hot that day.

^ I found TTD to be more intense than KK. I remember the first time I rode TTD, and thought "this must be what warp speed feels like."

I've never ridden a coaster that was too intense for me to reride at all, but one of the most intense was certainly Montana Infinitum at La Feria in Mexico City. That thing was INSANE, but it was incredibly awesome. It really makes me want to go out to Edmonton and ride Mindbender!

There's a difference between intensity and pain. The only ride that I can think of that's often criticized for being "too intense" is Intimidator 305. I know most people on this site love it (myself included) but there are a lot of people that don't enjoy that first turn.

Rides like Skyrush aren't disliked because of intensity, they're disliked because they're painful.

Maverick feels more intense to me than I305. Those quick transitions are awesome on I305 but even more abrupt and awesome on Maverick. Maverick also has that second to last hill that banks so much it's probably illegal in the other 49 states. I305 is awesome too but Maverick... holy crap I love that ride.

Is Kingda Ka that much more intense that TTD?

I think it is.

I rode KK a few years before TTD and as almost all people here prefer the latter I was surprised when I rode it (and having ridden KK again less than a week before). I agree that it is smoother and that the restraints are better (and so is the fact that there is no trim at the top). However, Kingda ka felt fairly more intense. I don't know if it is the extra speed, the more forceful launch or if it pulls more Gs (it does feel that way) or even the roughness (which is nothing to complain about in the front) but it was just a more extreme ride and that's why it has the upper hand for me.