TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The B&M Rattle Directory

Why isn't there an Intamin Rattle directory. Every Intamin I've ever rode rattles.

Why is there any "rattle directory," period?

Folks in this hobby sure get interested in cataloging odd stuff, but so be it.

Quoted for freaking truth! Plus, all coasters run slightly different on different days under different loads. With that said, B&Ms are glass smooth, almost to a fault. Sure, the early ones like Iron Wolf and BTR are WAY more forceful than newer ones, but that's just raw g-forces. In my experience with B&Ms, the difference between the smoothest day and the roughest day still keeps it in the very-smooth range.

I'd hate to take a ride on an older woodie sitting next to someone who complains about B&Ms shaking you around.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Behemoth at Canada's Wonderland DEFINITELY has some rattle at the bottom of the first drop, on a good day and the bad day. The outer seats are a bit worse as well.

I have been on lots of B&Ms and while they are usually smooth there is definitely rattling found on pretty much all rides. Gatekeeper is pretty big rattling, rougarou had a lot, mantis had a bit on some seats (but less than rougarou, much less). Leviathan is probably the only ride with no rattling but its moving so fast that its probably not even noticeable.

I have been on lots of B&Ms and while they are usually smooth there is definitely rattling found on pretty much all rides.

Keep in mind I have yet to ride any B&M (I know I know I'm going to this summer), but I feel that this juxtaposition is why this thread exists: the rides have a reputation for being smooth, but somewhere along the line have developed this issue which seems to ruin that smoothness for some people.

It's an interesting issue and I can see why it irks some people; it's like when you're in the car and something suddenly starts rattling, and now you can't concentrate on anything except that and how to get it to stop. I can see why this would be annoying on a coaster that you're trying to enjoy.

I have been on lots of B&Ms and while they are usually smooth there is definitely rattling found on pretty much all rides.

Keep in mind I have yet to ride any B&M (I know I know I'm going to this summer), but I feel that this juxtaposition is why this thread exists: the rides have a reputation for being smooth, but somewhere along the line have developed this issue which seems to ruin that smoothness for some people.

It's an interesting issue and I can see why it irks some people; it's like when you're in the car and something suddenly starts rattling, and now you can't concentrate on anything except that and how to get it to stop. I can see why this would be annoying on a coaster that you're trying to enjoy.

Still though b&ms are still great and this is not an issue for me. But I don't like when people say they are 100 % smooth cause that's just not true

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Why isn't there an Intamin Rattle directory. Every Intamin I've ever rode rattles.

Why is there any "rattle directory," period?

Folks in this hobby sure get interested in cataloging odd stuff, but so be it.

"Rattle me this", indeed. haha

Well, as many people say B&Ms are perfect in every way, a rattle, or any vibration for that matter, is worthy of the front page of the Times. In comparison, a thread isn't so bad, as funny as it may be.

The only ones I've felt go beyond a rattle for a good head banging or manhood rattling shake are Banshee on a cold day (especially the back row), Batman at SFNE and any hyper with the staggered seating (Behemoth, Diamondback et al.)

Speaking of Banshee I don't get that new train. It's a good ride, but there was nothing wrong with invert trains, why would you ever try to change them? Personally I prefer the older ones. Inverts (almost across the board) are the smoothest coasters on earth. Banshee (while still very enjoyable) is actually "rougher" in the back rows than any of the older ones I've ridden. its glass smooth up front though and even in the back its still a good ride.

Still though b&ms are still great and this is not an issue for me. But I don't like when people say they are 100 % smooth cause that's just not true

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I can assume you've ridden raptor and (at least everytime I rode it) it was 100% smooth.

^I agree that B&M's old inverts are very smooth. The only one I have ridden with a very small (millennium force like) rattle was talon. I'm amazed how a ride like batman at great adventure (which was 20 years last time I rode it) was so smooth. 200% smooth and still very intense. I guess that it's rides like these that make people surprised when some new B&Ms have rattles.

I can assume you've ridden raptor and (at least everytime I rode it) it was 100% smooth.

^I agree that B&M's old inverts are very smooth. The only one I have ridden with a very small (millennium force like) rattle was talon. I'm amazed how a ride like batman at great adventure (which was 20 years last time I rode it) was so smooth. 200% smooth and still very intense. I guess that it's rides like these that make people surprised when some new B&Ms have rattles.

It's weird that this is the case, and it seems like they must have changed the design in part of the wheel assembly/undercarriage at some point, but does anyone know exactly what is making the noise? Loosely fitted bearings? I'm sure the company has figured it out but has anyone heard what the actual cause is?

I'm a little surprised by some of these results. I still think B&M rattle is a non issue but this is still pretty interesting and I applaud you for taking the time to do it.

I too am a little surprised by some of these results. I don't think the "B&M Rattle" is an issue... most of the time!

I'm a little surprised by some of these results. I still think B&M rattle is a non issue but this is still pretty interesting and I applaud you for taking the time to do it.

I too am a little surprised by some of these results. I don't think the "B&M Rattle" is an issue... most of the time!

Yeah, I don't get this either. I've ridden 9 B&M's, and I did not experience any rattling at all on any of them. Sometimes I'll even see trip reports from someone who was at the same park the same day I was saying their B&M had a rattle and I wonder if we were on the same ride at all.

I think this is a generational thing. When I was growing up, Arrow was king and B&M were just getting started. CAD design wasn't widely used yet, so there wasn't an expectation that a ride would be perfectly smooth. A bit of jostling was considered normal and largely ignored. So when I hear "X ride has a rattle," I just ignore that opinion and go have fun anyway.

Yeah, I don't get this either. I've ridden 9 B&M's, and I did not experience any rattling at all on any of them. Sometimes I'll even see trip reports from someone who was at the same park the same day I was saying their B&M had a rattle and I wonder if we were on the same ride at all.

Sometimes train maintenance can make a HUGE difference! I remember at Mirabilandia back in 2005, they were running two trains on Katun. One was running smoothly, while other train was shaking quite bad,

Sometimes train maintenance can make a HUGE difference! I remember at Mirabilandia back in 2005, they were running two trains on Katun. One was running smoothly, while other train was shaking quite bad,

This is what it comes down to IMO. Maintenance.

Nitro is a great example of this. The last two summers its been a game of which of the three trains has a rattle, and one of them actually always does. Even during HITP we were marathoning it and switched trains because of this insane rattle in the left side wheel assembly under row 7. We were in the row behind it and not only could you feel it but also hear it. It was a little freaky - how loud and noticable it was.

I've ridden a bunch of B&Ms at this point, and none of them has had enough of a rattle that it ruined the ride for me.

I think this is a generational thing. When I was growing up, Arrow was king and B&M were just getting started. CAD design wasn't widely used yet, so there wasn't an expectation that a ride would be perfectly smooth. A bit of jostling was considered normal and largely ignored. So when I hear "X ride has a rattle," I just ignore that opinion and go have fun anyway.

I agree. Roller Coasters were the "top thrill" for daredevils. You were supposed to be brave and fearless to get on one, handling whatever it threw at you. Intensity and roughness were viewed as just being part of the experience. When I was growing up, my friends and I had plans on "how to ride" various roller coasters. "Make sure you brace before the turn to the brakes on Drachen Fire." "Make sure your head is back between the two helix on Anaconda." "Don't ever let go or take your feet off the ground on GASM." The whole point of going "no hands" on a coaster was to show you were so tough, not only getting on the coaster fearlessly, but letting it throw you around.

But then B&M and Intamin proved a coaster could be forceful, intense, AND smooth, and now suddenly a minor vibration in a train is catastrophic for some reason. I get that people seem to be really into forceful and smooth, and I say to each is own on that. However, I don't understand how anyone can complain about "rideability" on B&Ms. Arrows and wooden coasters I can sit and say "ok, well I enjoy them, but I see how others find them too rough," but if B&Ms are too rough for people, I really wonder what rides they ARE enjoying (certainly not Arrows, GCI, CCI, Vekomas, older Intamins, or Premier coasters, that's for sure). I think it's worth noting that I've never once heard a member of the GP complain about roughness or shaking/rattling on a B&M. This seems to be a new wave coaster enthusiast thing.

Fury doesn't really rattle, it just sort of bounces. The bounce isn't bad toward the front of the train or in the inside seats. But over the wheel seats and near the back, it can give a headache. Maintenance just put new wheels on the trains too, and it still has it. The ride did take a beating last year though. It ran A LOT so maybe that's the smoothest it'll get.

^From what I remember in the fall, I305 is still glass smooth, so It suprises me to hear the B&M gigas are having roughness issues.

^^For the most part I agree, but some of my edge seat back row rides on raptor had some moments of roughness that were on par with the violence of an arrow or vekoma. On the other hand, I would move to the middle in a different row and it would be perfectly glass smooth, so it definitely depends on a bunch of factors.

This is a great thread!

What I think is funny is from some of the videos, Mako already sounds to have the B&M rattle, and it's not even open yet!

Yeah, it does sound like it. Think Valravn will follow the trend?

????

^

^^

Y'all really act like my question was that hard... All new B&M's seem to shake, so all I asked was if you think Valravn would do the same thing. You could have said yes or no. What's the deal?

Off all the dive machines I've been on, there was little to no rattle whatsoever. So I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the answer is no.

This is a great thread!

What I think is funny is from some of the videos, Mako already sounds to have the B&M rattle, and it's not even open yet!

I may be wrong, but I think that sound you're referring to is coming from the anti-rollback mechanisms on the ride. I'm not sure Mako has anti-rollback mechanisms, but from what I remember Gatekeeper had a similar sound due to them.

The newer Cedar Fair B&M's such as Gatekeeper, Banshee, and Fury seem to develop a rattle before the first season is over so I just assumed Valravn would too. I want to assume it's park maintenance, but maybe it's not. I don't really know. I just wanted to know what other people thought.