TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The B&M Rattle Directory

^This.

I can't speak for SFMM's batman but GAdv surely fits the description. I also think this is the type of B&M that remains the smoothest. I wouldn't say raptor isn't perfectly smooth. It's just that it has some snappy transitions. I really enjoy the brutal snap into the brake run and, honestly, I wish every invert had it as when I'm riding one and getting close to the brakes I think: a raptor ending really would be the icing on the cake. (maybe I'm just insane but it's true)

It's a shame banshee has such a noticeable rattle. Maybe they just need to get the new trains right but they seemed to get the older ones right on the first try.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoy the brutal snap into the brake run and, honestly, I wish every invert had it as when I'm riding one and getting close to the brakes I think: a raptor ending really would be the icing on the cake. (maybe I'm just insane but it's true)

I agree but very few people will, lol. It throws you around but not in a painful way. Raptor's last turn and cobra roll are awesome.

Just submitted the survey for my thoughts on rattley B&M's.

Worst for me was Vortex at CGA but I did find Hair Raiser to be super smooth!

I agree on Vortex, but Hair Raiser was quite rough when I rode it in June. I gave it a few chances by riding at different times of day, sadly without success. It's a shame because the location is spectacular!

I've always believed that B&M inverts maintain their smoothness over time better than any other coaster type

Agree. I've found that in general the inverts seem to hold up better - for example Montu ran really well on my last visit to BGT, but Kumba was pretty bouncy. Ditto with Dueling Dragons compared to Hulk.

FINAL RESULTS!

Because of various reasons, I can't go into a lot of detail with the numbers. However, my figures look reasonable. Of course, they aren't guaranteed to be 100% accurate. Also, my results don't imply severity of the rattle/vibration, just how often one was reported. Twelve coasters were omitted because there wasn't enough data.

Consistently Reported: 100%

None

Frequently Reported: 80-99%

Hair Raiser - 92%

Commonly Reported: 60-79%

Flug der Damonen - 75%

OzIris - 73%

Vortex (CGA) - 73%

Superman la Atraccion de Acero - 63%

Somewhat Reported: 40-59%

Scream! - 59%

Incredible Hulk - 58%

Apocalypse - 57%

Banshee - 57%

Parrot Coaster - 57%

Hydra - 53%

Green Lantern - 50%

Katun - 50%

Diamondback - 48%

Superman Krypton Coaster - 45%

Vortex (Carowinds) - 45%

Nitro (SFGAdv) - 45%

Dragon Khan - 42%

Batman - the Dark Knight - 40%

Bizarro - 40%

GateKeeper - 40%

Kumba - 40%

Uncommonly Reported: 20-39%

Batman the Ride (SFOT) - 38%

Swarm - 38%

Dominator - 37%

Raging Bull - 37%

Goliath (SFFT) - 36%

Riddler's Revenge - 36%

Alpengeist - 36%

Kraken - 35%

Raptor (CP) - 34%

Wildfire - 29%

Goliath (SFOG) - 27%

Shambhala - 27%

Nemesis - 27%

Superman Ultimate Flight (SFGAm) - 27%

X-Flight - 27%

Superman Ultimate Flight (SFGAdv) - 26%

Black Mamba - 25%

Daemonen - 25%

Afterburn - 23%

Behemoth - 23%

Silver Star - 22%

Dive Coaster - 20%

Diving Coaster - 20%

Goliath (La Ronde) - 20%

Nemesis Inferno - 20%

Wild Eagle - 20%

Rarely Reported: 1-19%

Batman the Ride (SFGAdv) - 19%

Air - 18%

Medusa - 18%

Dragon Challenge - 18%

Batman the Ride (SFOG) - 17%

Griffon - 17%

Patriot - 17%

Manta - 15%

Talon - 15%

Batman the Ride (SFStL) - 14%

Vampire - 14%

Montu - 14%

Batman the Ride (SFMM) - 11%

Flight Deck - 11%

Georgia Scorcher - 11%

Superman Ultimate Flight (SFOG) - 11%

Silver Bullet - 11%

Batman the Ride (SFGAm) - 9%

Intimidator - 7%

Apollo's Chariot - 6%

Great Bear - 6%

Tatsu - 6%

Never Reported: 0%

Batman la Fuga

Great White

Krake

Leviathan

Monster

Oblivion

SheiKra

My Conclusion: Although I cannot fully prove or disprove that this phenomena is linked to B&M, I can say that my data shows evidence to support that it doesn't.

It's still surprising how some of the most reported coasters were

Frequently Reported: 80-99%

Hair Raiser - 92%

Commonly Reported: 60-79%

Flug der Damonen - 75%

OzIris - 73%

Which were all built in the last four years yet rides like Flight Deck which was built in 1993 were rarely reported.

^I never got any rattle on it either. There were a few other that surprised me too:

For example, I think green lantern has a much much worse rattle than superman atraccion de acero and gatekeeper for me was also more rattly.

I never got any rattle on bizarro and hydra (although I've only ridden the second in one single day).

Dragon khan may not be silky smooth in every seat but I definitely would rank it lower than superman at great adventure.

And also, I consider shambhala the smoothest coaster I've ridden (and I've ridden others on the list which were reported less often) so I'm pretty surprised by those 27%.

Perhaps it comes down to how often the train is inspected and readjusted. I noticed that some of the rides that are more popular within the park rattle less. The fact that Kraken has been reported to have zero rattle (which I know is not true, but I digress) suggests that those trains go through a more thorough maintenance process more regularity, at least that would be my assumption.

- edit - misread, I see you have Kraken at 35% (sounds right) I was looking at Krake, but I'd like to hold onto my theory.

Many of the results were quite surprising. I was most surprised by Raptor, personally. I've ridden it numerous times, and I've never felt one rattle.

I was most surprised by the fact that ANYONE mentioned Griffon or Batman the Ride. I don't think there's a smoother coaster in existence than either of these rides... Griffon is so smooth it's almost boring after the first drop. I've wondered for awhile if there's a coaster anywhere that all enthusiasts agree is perfectly smooth and rattle free. Judging by this poll it looks like Oblivion and Sheikra might fall into that category, the others that weren't reported as having a rattle are rides that are brand new or probably had very few riders (right?).

Perhaps it comes down to how often the train is inspected and readjusted. I noticed that some of the rides that are more popular within the park rattle less. The fact that Kraken has been reported to have zero rattle (which I know is not true, but I digress) suggests that those trains go through a more thorough maintenance process more regularity, at least that would be my assumption.

- edit - misread, I see you have Kraken at 35% (sounds right) I was looking at Krake, but I'd like to hold onto my theory.

Sure, it does have an influence (and a big one). But there must be more. I remember people saying Oziris had some rattle in the year it opened while other inverts like the batman clones (at least some) are still very smooth after 20 years or so. So there might be other factors.

^^ Leviathan, Oblivion, SheiKra, and Great White all had larger data pools. The others were indeed smaller, but large enough to be included. Newer doesn't necessarily mean an automatic non-rattle. Look at Hair Raiser. From how many reports I had of rattling, I was surprised it was less than 100%.

• 1 year later...
Why isn't there an Intamin Rattle directory. Every Intamin I've ever rode rattles.

I did find it a bit surprising how the only manufacturer that has a whole thread dedicated to the rattle of their coasters (at least that I know of) is arguably the one which makes, overall, the smoothest rides. I suppose it has to do with the fact that most old B&Ms (except standups) were/still are very smooth and how, recently, a few of their new coasters have a certain rattle which is a bit odd.

Why isn't there an Intamin Rattle directory. Every Intamin I've ever rode rattles.

Why is there any "rattle directory," period?

Folks in this hobby sure get interested in cataloging odd stuff, but so be it.

"Rattle me this", indeed. haha

Well, as many people say B&Ms are perfect in every way, a rattle, or any vibration for that matter, is worthy of the front page of the Times. In comparison, a thread isn't so bad, as funny as it may be.

The only ones I've felt go beyond a rattle for a good head banging or manhood rattling shake are Banshee on a cold day (especially the back row), Batman at SFNE and any hyper with the staggered seating (Behemoth, Diamondback et al.)

"Rattle me this", indeed. haha

Well, as many people say B&Ms are perfect in every way, a rattle, or any vibration for that matter, is worthy of the front page of the Times. In comparison, a thread isn't so bad, as funny as it may be.

True haha.

Out of the ones I've ridden I'd say Mantis and green lantern really were rough (GL quite less than mantis but still not really a rattle). Superman at parque Warner Madrid had a relatively small (not uncomfortable) but noticeable rattle in the back on my last visit in 2014. Gatekeeper had a very nasty rattle closer to the back on the outside seats (in 2013) but, on the other hand, I had no problem whatsoever with hydra and I consider shambhala one of the smoothest coasters I've been on.