TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Switchback Roller Coaster at ZDT`s Amusement Park

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys realize the video was from one of the first test runs. I'm sure it will speed up more on the return trip. Just announced October 17th will be opening.

That's why I didn't say anything about how slowly it returned to the brake run. I'm hoping that that as testing continues the ride breaks in and starts to run faster!!

You guys realize the video was from one of the first test runs. I'm sure it will speed up more on the return trip. Just announced October 17th will be opening.

That's why I didn't say anything about how slowly it returned to the brake run. I'm hoping that that as testing continues the ride breaks in and starts to run faster!!

Me too. I'll wait for opening to comment on that. Looks nice, and the fact that it can run more than one train is a plus.

Me too. I'll wait for opening to comment on that. Looks nice, and the fact that it can run more than one train is a plus.

Regardless of how much it breaks in, the backwards return trip will be tame in comparison to the forward run. I wish they could add some kind of small launch mechanism to move the train higher on the spike, similar to Mr. Freeze, but I am sure that isn't exactly cheap or easy to do.

^That's a good idea! You never know, they could do it in the future. Parks that charge per ride (do they?) usually want to make the rides as awesome as possible so people want to come back.

Thanks! Like I said, it would probably be complicated and expensive, and may even require them to extend the spike (hopefully it wouldn't), but with a track that long, the difference in momentum on the backwards return run is very apparent.

We can hope!

Regardless this is a creative one of a kind concept and the forward run looks amazing already!

It kinda scares me that ZDT's is more innovative than Cedar Point nowadays. Anyway, the ride looks awesome!

This is a stupid comment.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. . . No need to call them stupid because you don't agree with them.

At least ZDT's is building something unique, and first of its kind. Not just a bigger version of something every other park already has.

^I think Cedar Point breaking records is very un-innovative. It's marketable but narrow and boring. It surely seem to work for them, look at all the folks who rated Millennium Force #1 on Golden Tickets. But I surely respect your opinion; it would be boring if we all thought the same.

The only problem with this ride at Cedar Point would be capacity, but I do agree that CP isn't what it used to be in terms of innovation.

Yea, the capacity of this ride is really what concerns me for installing something like this in larger parks. Do we have the stats on this yet?

Look how small the trains are....and secondly, you basically have to wait for the train to make a complete coaster run, half a coaster run, stop on the brake run, switch the tracks, roll the train forwards, switch the tracks back, BEFORE you can dispatch a second train, which holds like 12 people lol. Awesome, awesome concept. I love the idea of this and think it will be a major hit. Honestly think it's really really cool...but I don't see this style really taking off. I see it more as a cool little quirk about this park.

Would love to ride it one day...but I live in Hawaii. No coasters within a 6 hour plane ride for me

The only problem with this ride at Cedar Point would be capacity, but I do agree that CP isn't what it used to be in terms of innovation.

Not necessarily. A similar ride at a park the size of CP would have more trains and cars. They could easily do a duel station which would allow 3 trains on the track at one time. The possibilities are endless with this! Though I do think GG aught to consider a boost on the return trip for future iterations of this. Overall looks great though!

Edited by Gnome

It kinda scares me that ZDT's is more innovative than Cedar Point nowadays. Anyway, the ride looks awesome!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. . . No need to call them stupid because you don't agree with them.

At least ZDT's is building something unique, and first of its kind. Not just a bigger version of something every other park already has.

No seriously, it was a stupid comment. I apologize none. This ride is neat looking but not all that innovative. I think its a perfect small park addition and I can't wait to hear rider reviews. But Cedar Point? Come on!!! Build This next to Valravn and see which ride gets all the attention!

His stupid comment was nothing more than a trolling attempt to take a shot at Cedar Point!

^I don't think it was a stupid comment. How many wooden shuttle coasters are there in the world? Pretty innovative to me.

Wooden shuttle coasters that can run two trains, and have a switch track on them at that...

No seriously, it was a stupid comment. I apologize none. This ride is neat looking but not all that innovative. I think its a perfect small park addition and I can't wait to hear rider reviews. But Cedar Point? Come on!!! Build This next to Valravn and see which ride gets all the attention!

His stupid comment was nothing more than a trolling attempt to take a shot at Cedar Point!

If Cedar Point were to install this exact same coaster in one of the kid/family areas, you would spend months talking about how innovative it is, how amazing it is, how it is the perfect fit for a park like Cedar Point, but just because it is going to a smaller less known park you are over looking how innovative this coaster really is. How many parks have a Dive Machine?? 9?... Soon to be 10 once Valravn is complete. . . How many parks have a wooden shuttle coaster??? Oh, that's right... ONE. You saying that this coaster is not innovative would be just like saying that Top Thrill Dragster was not innovative when it was built. Both were/are first of their kind.

Build This next to Valravn and see which ride gets all the attention!

Because obviously that is a fair statement to make. Let's take a 63ft tall FAMILY coaster, and put it next to a 223ft tall Dive Coaster, and see which ride gets all the attention. I mean, per your logic, no park in the world should EVER build another coaster unless it is taller and faster than everything else out there.

What is being over looked the most on this coaster is that it was not designed to be a high thrill/extreme ride. It was built to be a family coaster, and it is a damn good one at that, and as much as you don't want to admit it... It IS innovative. . . Much more than just another dive machine, with a vertical drop, followed my an Immelmann, and a turn into the MCBR...

^I don't think it was a stupid comment. How many wooden shuttle coasters are there in the world? Pretty innovative to me.

Wooden shuttle coasters that can run two trains, and have a switch track on them at that...

If Cedar Point were to install this exact same coaster in one of the kid/family areas, you would spend months talking about how innovative it is, how amazing it is, how it is the perfect fit for a park like Cedar Point, but just because it is going to a smaller less known park you are over looking how innovative this coaster really is. How many parks have a Dive Machine?? 9?... Soon to be 10 once Valravn is complete. . . How many parks have a wooden shuttle coaster??? Oh, that's right... ONE. You saying that this coaster is not innovative would be just like saying that Top Thrill Dragster was not innovative when it was built. Both were/are first of their kind.

Build This next to Valravn and see which ride gets all the attention!

Because obviously that is a fair statement to make. Let's take a 63ft tall FAMILY coaster, and put it next to a 223ft tall Dive Coaster, and see which ride gets all the attention. I mean, per your logic, no park in the world should EVER build another coaster unless it is taller and faster than everything else out there.

What is being over looked the most on this coaster is that it was not designed to be a high thrill/extreme ride. It was built to be a family coaster, and it is a damn good one at that, and as much as you don't want to admit it... It IS innovative. . . Much more than just another dive machine, with a vertical drop, followed my an Immelmann, and a turn into the MCBR...

The first thing that pops to mind is Silver Dollar City for another bridge coaster between childhood and adulthood. It would replace the complaints of not having backward cars on Thunderation and give them a boomerang of some sort. I don't understand the hang up on capacity. This was designed for a small park with tight space. The smaller cars enabled that. I imagine a larger park I terms of size and patrons would see a traditionally sized train and layout. With two car operation , this is likely plenty for this park. I'm sure they'll get it figured out.

If a larger park wanted a dueling coaster, here you go. In slower times the smaller cars allow enough to run two small trains at once that would basically give them normal capacity and during busy times, a four train operation.

I see so much possibility into this. How about a larger one with a barrel roll. Going through existing structures gives to oportunities like running coasters under buildings, maybe even a restuarant with a glass floor so you can see the train go under. It reminds me of Kemah using the space under the elevated restuarants for a dark section on their train ride. Made use of space needed for storm surge otherwise going unused.

Definitely not scary. Think about any other industry and you won't be surprised.

Local, family owned restaurants tend to have more unique menus than Applebees, TGI Fridays or Chili's with thousands of locations worldwide.

Smaller indie bands tend to have more innovative music than top 40 pop stars. Video games, movies, etc., etc. are all similar.

Cedar Point has orders of magnitude more visitors than ZDT, so innovation is less of a priority than going with well tested, proven coasters. Not a bad thing, just the reality of their business. I think Switchback and Valravn both look good. And fans of each park are lucky to have them!