TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Switchback Roller Coaster at ZDT`s Amusement Park

I'm intrigued, but I don't fully understand the concept. The POV animation cuts off when it starts to go backwards.

So, does a transfer track send the train across a different course on the backwards return? I don't understand how it'll go down the lifthill.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm intrigued, but I don't fully understand the concept. The POV animation cuts off when it starts to go backwards.

So, does a transfer track send the train across a different course on the backwards return? I don't understand how it'll go down the lifthill.

So when the train comes back, it will hit brakes that are placed at the bottom of the first drop. After a complete stop, the track in front of the train will switch over to allow the train to enter back into the station. If you look at the pov, you'll notice, the track is very straight at the bottom of the first hill for this purpose.

Am I crazy or does it seem like this ride is gonna be riddled with problems?

Am I crazy or is that Elvis on the water slide?

Being as this is a first-of-its-kind coaster, I imagine there will be kinks to work out. As for being "riddled with problems," time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

The park has posted some more construction photos over the last couple of weeks on their twitter. Looks very interesting. I wonder when it will be ready for riders. I'm in the area at the end of July but I'm not going to hold my breath for a July opening.

CHGEsdeW0AEiXKp.jpg.f30edd5805a43455583d7e6100fcf339.jpg

CHPTNyjUIAAXA6X.jpg.43fc03961253686238f60d3e5c4cd907.jpg

CHki_-4UYAAkiJ5.thumb.jpg.fe0ec412761906a9e50d014617f73508.jpg

CHuFcjaUEAAe_J_.thumb.jpg.41e4a6132e526efcdee3904050dafd68.jpg

Just FYI, in case anyone was planning a trip to come ride this summer. From ZDTs Facebook.

Though we will continue to push forward, Switchback is no longer anticipated to open for the summer season. We will open this exciting, new, one-of-a-kind roller coaster as soon as possible! We will also continue to post updates on our progress until that time comes.

Maybe it will open in late August? They are open all year round so it could be any time.

^That turn is really tight....

This exactly reminds me of TWISTER, the coaster in Grona Lund park, Stockholm Sweden.

Lots of corners and sweet tight turns with a very articulated train. Much fun!

1842515885_ResizeofIMG_5535.JPG.e1e4411df634c49d30bf8bd2142fc2c3.JPG

Tight 'n twisty, TWISTER was. (TPR 2014 Scandi Tour)

Another update from ZDT's Amusement Park!

Switchback is really beginning to take form! Tracking on the over-banked turn is nearing completion as well as the dive through the building. Meanwhile, tracking work continues on the initial lift-hill and drop. Structure and tracking have also commenced where the coaster will hug the ground beneath the awning as well as where the crossover takes place in route to the final spike!

We no longer anticipate Switchback opening during summer break, but the crews are working diligently to get this exciting and unique coaster completed as soon as possible! For more frequent progress updates, please follow us on twitter.

1fV3PbMbAWKaEz7TxbSvJ3HCoUqf9zBX_H3zvvfZ-As.jpg.092a85db09c053a3657b104b698a2d6d.jpg

1v7JWJOXo5-Cf6uz__B346JLhx8zljL07YgUxulg37Q.jpg.d3a3133d5b55034bc47a06b7468db28a.jpg

52IipB0m6wl8H4Xfz2z0qUB99tQATrrhSbtAYgnpZZQ.jpg.ab851f45bdc4ae4a1668ec18db9f8d02.jpg

JcjpivFOOSwybT8OqN8y8GYU9AUlzmGBc8NLJ3zwiC4.jpg.3beee5450d5038857e9daad82c80b75c.jpg

PBVI26jYfXewgG-7AW9Do-MEOA_JDH5WFExgopYIaRI.jpg.02cfb2ba43dc3fca995ce40b1788adaf.jpg

W4ENbVQLeJHHCJ_c2YIBImya3Gy06ptbcIAywm6zaXA.jpg.314d903679d58a90133c8eb92ef45fda.jpg

_TTZzT8_H9OLjClkoe-5g0cJgsQOgbnQXfRvh3eZeu8.jpg.bd0590cc9f52d36b9b95c9a43fbed13d.jpg

uDsaPD5zZTjA4hRId-_1GxQilzd3qfjsLf83FM-12Vg.jpg.dccbd0cb9c273282d469efe0e21357c3.jpg

^That turn is really tight....

This exactly reminds me of TWISTER, the coaster in Grona Lund park, Stockholm Sweden.

Lots of corners and sweet tight turns with a very articulated train. Much fun!

I cannot believe I missed Twister at Grona Lund. Was there 2 years too early! Man theme parks in Europe are so much different than here in the US.

Loving the updates on this ride! Keep 'em up. Gonna be in this thread in a couple of months watching that sa-weeet POV!

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting email in just now from ZDT's...

Hello!

The moment you've been waiting for is here! Here's the official announcement we've been teasing for the past couple of weeks:

When completed, #Switchback should officially claim the title of world's STEEPEST wooden roller coaster! That’s right, a record breaking wooden roller coaster is coming to ZDTs!

The steepest point of the ride will occur on the ‘Grand Spike’ at the tail end of the ride, where the riders will ride upwards, stop, and then fall backwards to ride the track again in reverse. While the track itself will reach upwards to a full 90 degrees, the designers of the ride estimate that the train should reach a near vertical 87 degrees before falling backwards (topping the current wooden roller coaster record of 85 degrees).

The only way to know for certain… stay tuned for the official test run results on a date to be announced!

If you have any question I will be more than happy to answer them!

Thank you,

ZDT's Amusement Park

All the artwork show an 8 person train. That makes a lot of these tight turns possible and a small park can pull that off but this would be a non starter for many parks due to capacity issues. Now, if you did a dueling coaster like this a mid sized park would actually have enough people to have it dueling most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...
That is amazing. I was not expecting that, but I guess I wasn't expecting a wooden shuttle either when they announced this. Is the structure still going to be turning on the spire, like in the videos?

Judging by the newest photo I would say no. If you look at it you can see the ties where the track is going to be going up the spike, and none of them are turned. Looks like I was right, it looks like it was just a mistake in No Limits when they made the promo video.

image_12507.thumb.jpg.0ab71bd2c99459c1a8ae51d70ba0e736.jpg

Edited by DoinItForTheFame