TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Creepy, Haunted Theme Parks

Hey Everyone,

So I was watching some coaster videos on youtube and it eventually lead me to some "real" theme park ghost stories. So after doing a little digging on here, I didn't find any kind of topic about this so I figured i'd make one and if you guys have heard any of your own ghost stories.

Now i've heard of a bunch of different stories from almost every major theme park chain, from the Haunted Mansion at Disney World really being haunted, to Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers.

Lets hear what you guys got!

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure SFA is/was haunted. IIRC the land it currently sits on used to be owned by a family who had a daughter that passed away and the house and possibly grave site still sit there behind Wild One's helix.

Kings Island is another park I hear is notorious for hauntings. I found this thread a while ago which has some interesting stories.

One experience I had was one day a few years ago, A few friends and I were exploring Lincoln Park, in North Dartmouth, MA. We got permission from the land owner. The park was shut down in 1987 for financial reasons. The coaster was known for its fair share of accidents and deaths. In fact, the last ride of the Comet (the parks signature coaster) was an accident. Four people were injured when the braking system failed just as the cars were entering the breaks causing the last car to jackknife.

162835_10150135727504392_4503495_n.jpg.e9640dad54ebc8476460946da147fcdf.jpg

A year before a man was thrown from the ride and in 1964, a man was killed due to standing up during the ride. In 1964 while the ride was ascending the lift hill, a car became disconnected from the rest of the train, casing it to roll back down the lift, derailed sideways, and dumped 6 guests out onto the pavement 10 feet under the ride.

Comet History

I've heard a bunch of different stories from a girl falling out of the ferris wheel and one of my fathers friend getting hit by the flying cages ride and getting killed.

Anyways back to the story, one day my friends and decided to do some exploring during the day, when walking around the coaster, we all heard what sound like a lift hill. We have all worked on rides in a theme park before so we all just kind of looked at each other and brushed it off. As we were walking away from the coaster, we then started hearing what sounded like a coaster going down the drop and some faint screaming. It wasn't like a horror movie scream or anything, but enough to make us all stop in our tracks and look right back at the coaster. It really freaked all of us out.

Another time when I went at night, we heard what sounded like carousel music. One of my friends was filming and actually caught it on tape. I'll see if he still has the tape and if he does, i'll post it here.

EVERY park has ghost rumors, whether they be patrons who died in the park or people who lived on the land before the amusement park was built. The SFStL stories are 1)the ghost of the man who owned the farm the park was built on called "The Pig Man" and 2)the ghosts of the people who died on the 2 fatal accidents in the park, the girls who died in the skyway car fall and the woman who fell from the Railblazer coaster.

I'm surprised you couldn't find more information on park hauntings in TPR's forum. I've seen several other websites with information on amusement park hauntings. Good luck with your research.

I heard a story about how California's Great America is haunted. Before the park opened, when the land was a ranch, a ten year old boy named Doug died in a barn/house fire that took place where the shuttle loop was later built. He is a ghost who likes to knock over things in the stores of Orleans Place & All American Corners (Yankee Harbor).

I've been trying to find that episode for ever! Do you know is thats also the same ghost they call "tram girl"?

That episode is included in the Season 8, volume 1 DVD set. I'm not sure if it's the same ghost, but how many little girl ghosts could be running around a park? BTW, TAPS also investigated Sylvan Beach but I haven't seen that episode yet. It was some time after Grant left the show.

I've been trying to find that episode for ever! Do you know is thats also the same ghost they call "tram girl"?

That episode is included in the Season 8, volume 1 DVD set. I'm not sure if it's the same ghost, but how many little girl ghosts could be running around a park? BTW, TAPS also investigated Sylvan Beach but I haven't seen that episode yet. It was some time after Grant left the show.

Hasn't the park something like 3 or 4 deaths? Plus I've read stories about a girl drowning in a lake or pond that is or was on the park grounds. So for all we know there could be a bunch of little girl ghosts running around! lol

I've never heard of Sylvan Beach. What are some of the stories?

Great Adventure is haunted by the victims of the Haunted Castle fire. Theres plenty of stories of strange occurrences happening near the site of the fire.

What stories have you head about that area? The only story i've heard was they cursed Chiller. lol

^ There's been reports that the speakers in the trees surrounding the site still turn on and play the old Castle sound effects, and that people have seen faces in the upper windows of the old Autobahn bumper cars built directly on the Haunted Castle site.

I've also heard about the Chiller curse too. Interesting about that is that the track colour's of Chiller were red and blue. The same colours used for the two sides of the Haunted Castle.

There are a couple of "haunted" attractions in the UK that I know off.

The first one is that the Ghost Train at Blackpool Pleasure Beach is apparently haunted by a ghost named "Cloggy". This story is so well known that the show "Most Haunted" actually came to the park and spent a night inside the attraction to look for signs of "Cloggy"! Surprise surprise they didn't actually see him but apparently they did hear unexplained paranormal sounds.........

The second one is from Chessington World of Adventures where "Herman The German" haunts Tomb Blaster. This story is all based on the fact that during construction of the 5th Dimension (Now know as Tomb Blaster) in the late 80's an engineer from Mack Rides fell to his death on the ramp section at the start of the ride. There is a plaque located beneath the ramp about Herman at the point where he fell. I know from personal experience walking that ride in the morning is an unnerving experience and many members of staff don't like doing it, some even flat out refuse to walk the ride alone or at all. The engineers have been known to have some fun with this story and how uneasy people are by hiding in the shadows then when the staff walk around doing the morning checks jumping out on them.

-Craig

There's a million stories about ghost sighting or wacky stuff happening in the south end of Lake Compounce (area where the skyride, picnic tables, and rapids ride are). I never personally saw anything myself, but knew people who refused to go there after dark fell.

• 7 months later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sROv9s_MUo

I just watched this, apparently many people have encountered "spirits"/"ghosts" throughout the park at night.

Kings Island was built over an old munitions plant that exploded and killed 100 people and apparently the spirits of those people are haunting the park, nobody knows the truth. I believe the spirits ARE there but I don't believe that they're as violent as they have been portrayed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sROv9s_MUo

I just watched this, apparently many people have encountered "spirits"/"ghosts" throughout the park at night.

Kings Island was built over an old munitions plant that exploded and killed 100 people and apparently the spirits of those people are haunting the park, nobody knows the truth. I believe the spirits ARE there but I don't believe that they're as violent as they have been portrayed.

The munitions factory, known as the Peters Cartridge Factory, is located some distance from Kings Island. The building still stands today and is partially occupied by businesses. I've always wanted to check the place out, as paranormal investigation is one of my side hobbies (Kentucky Kingdom - Waverly Hills, anyone?). Here's a link to more info on the munitions plant: http://www.forgottenoh.com/Peters/peters.html

Aren't Cedar Point and Great Adventure supposedly haunted too?

Great Adventure is definitely haunted. My post on the previous page mentions just a few occurances that I've heard throughout the years.

• 1 year later...

Im curious too see if anyone on here is creeped out by some parks they visit. Haunted amusement parks are nothing new to the industry and many have their fair share of ghost stories or incidents.

For me personally, Great Adventure has given me the creeps at some point. Especially in the Old Country where the Haunted Castle once was. It has sat there empty for over a decade and looking at it when on Nitro's lift hill at night gives it a sense of eeriness.

Maybe it also has to do with the park being in the Pine Barrens which is creepy to begin with.

Anyway if you have an experience or opinion feel free to share.