TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster that should NOT get the RMC Iron Horse Treatment

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^As is watching red paint dry is "marginally less boring" than watching white paint dry?

To get back on track, I would say that El Toro and Balder have absolutely no need for the "Iron Horse Treatment."

Raven and Legend. I'd be okay with Voyage, as long as the layout stayed exactly the same. (but someone mentioned the different wheels and track would create too much friction and it would not make it back to the station)

Most wood coasters I don't want to see touched, but there are a few, like The Boss which was just too rough for me.

The two adult ones at Canada's Wonderland were both terrible on my last trip, but those are simple fixes.

A majority of the currently operating wood coasters. The Iron Horse treatment is an economical way to revitalize wood coasters, but many aren't good candidates for the treatment. Specifically, any of the following shouldn't be touched...

-Any "classic" wood coaster (namely those built before the 1970s)

-Any GCI

-Any Intamin Prefab

-Any smaller wood coaster (if it's much under 100 ft tall or 3000 ft long it's probably not worth the investment)

-Any wood coaster at a park that already has an RMC

It's much easier to name the coasters that should be given the treatment: Dinns and major woodies that were popular in the 1970s-1990s but have since become excessively rough. Some CCI and Gravity Group coasters could be on this list as well, but most would be good with just a major topper track replacement.

The only coasters that I consider good candidates for Iron Horse treatment are newer wood coasters that are relatively tall and fast and give crappy rides. No classic wood coasters should get this treatment and no modern wood coasters that don't suck should either.

Canobie Lake Park in a Q&A actually made fun of six flags and the whole iron horse treatment, saying that they would never consider butchering the Yankee Cannonball! .

I agree of course that they shouldn't Iron Horse it but why do people talk about this coaster like it's the greatest thing ever? I liked it but it had no airtime and wasn't overly memorable.

I agree of course that they shouldn't Iron Horse it but why do people talk about this coaster like it's the greatest thing ever? I liked it but it had no airtime and wasn't overly memorable.

>Yankee Cannonball

>No airtime

I'll agree to the final hills just before the brakerun having no airtime, but the rest of the ride has plenty of it, especially when you ride in the back.

The only coasters that I think should not be RMCed are pre-1970's wood coasters and prefabs. That is it.

And, I completely disagree with the people who are saying the Beast should not be RMCed. I do not see how a coaster built in 1979 is considered to be that historic or worth preserving. While it may have broken records in its time, I would not say that was overly unique in any aspect other than its insanely long length. RMC could easily make one of the best coasters in the world with this, so why past up that chance just because this now dated coaster once broke a few records?

The Beast isn't even in my top 20 or maybe even 30 overall but riding the Beast in the front seat at night this year was the absolute best ride I've ever had on any coaster ever and the only thing that comes close to being that amazing is the ride we had in the front seat of the Beast the next night.

During the day the coaster is unique, but underwhelming... but just because of the night rides it gives this coaster is flat out legendary.

I didn't think Cyclone needed it. When trims were off, you got a really intense ride. There's a slight (but very noticeable) difference from when a wooden coaster is "intense" and when its "rough". Cyclone was intense. You had to know when you got on it you were going to be horrified and slightly uncomfortable.

Yankee Cannonball should NEVER get it. Do not touch the Coney Island Cyclone. As ironic as this may be, don't touch Lake Compounce's Wildcat. Any wooden coaster from 1990 or before should NOT be touched unless it's too rough.