TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Bad coasters that have a glimmer of hope

I'll start of this threat with an example.

Mean Streak, it's earned quite a reputation of a rough, non enjoyable, painful coaster. But it's one of those coasters where you can just tell that there is a good coaster trying to come out, and you wish that a coaster manufacturer like RMC would make said bad coaster realize it's full potential.

Hell, I even think that Ninja at SFOG and Gouderix wouldn't be that bad if certain adjustments were made, such as new trains with those vest-like restraints that don't bang your head....As far as Manhattan Express goes, I doubt it....Part of me really says that it may be a lost cause....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I definitely don't think that it's necessarily bad, Magnum XL-200 could definitely be better by getting new restraints or by reshaping the last few airtime hills in the tunnels that MURDERED MY LEGS.

Mean Streak has no hope, kill it, kill it with fire.

Mean Streak, it's earned quite a reputation of a rough, non enjoyable, painful coaster. But it's one of those coasters where you can just tell that there is a good coaster trying to come out, and you wish that a coaster manufacturer like RMC would make said bad coaster realize it's full potential.

I second this, Mean Streak was actually half-decent last time I rode it. If it was to get RMC'd it would sure make it a lot better.

Also, if it wasn't already getting done, I used to think Cyclone at SFNE was awful, but when I rode it last summer I actually liked it! But of course, the iron... mmh, Wicked Cyclone conversion is going to make it the best coaster of the park for sure.

Manhattan Express. I genuinely believe that if it ran with only lap bars, it'd be a decent ride. I know that the Premier Spaghetti Bowls were hated until the OTSRs were removed and replaced with lap bars only. I feel the same would happen with Manhattan Express as when I rode it, the main problem were those HORRIBLE restraints that were placed right against your neck, causing neckbanging. Other than that, it seemed like had a decent layout that I'd enjoy if it didn't hurt so much.

Manhattan Express. I genuinely believe that if it ran with only lap bars, it'd be a decent ride. I know that the Premier Spaghetti Bowls were hated until the OTSRs were removed and replaced with lap bars only. I feel the same would happen with Manhattan Express as when I rode it, the main problem were those HORRIBLE restraints that were placed right against your neck, causing neckbanging. Other than that, it seemed like had a decent layout that I'd enjoy if it didn't hurt so much.

Flight of Fear at KD is probably my third or fourth favorite coaster at the park, and I agree. It already has quite a rattle to it, I can't imagine how HORRIBLE it would have been with the OSTRs.

I wish Anaconda had restraints like Sidewinder at Hershey, so I wouldn't have to worry about possibly rupturing my jugular and bleeding to death on that weird-ass helix thing. I'd like the ride a LOT more if it had that kind of restraint.

Mean Streak, its basically the same layout as the Texas Giant and therefore could easily be RMCed. I also think that Bizarro at SFNE could be a lot better if they got trains that were lighter and had El Toros lap bars instead of the big bulky bars they have on it now. (Not knocking Bizzaro its still a great ride but it lost a lot when it changed from Superman)

Mean Streak, its basically the same layout as the Texas Giant and therefore could easily be RMCed. I also think that Bizarro at SFNE could be a lot better if they got trains that were lighter and had El Toros lap bars instead of the big bulky bars they have on it now. (Not knocking Bizzaro its still a great ride but it lost a lot when it changed from Superman)

I always wanted Bizarro to have restraints like i305, those are SUPER comfortable.

Titan and SFMM Goliath have so much potential! The first drop can be modified to be much steeper and more track can be added before MCBR. Giovanola hypers are nothing but helix and smoothness. Even the airtime hill doesn't give the floating sensation.

Maybe they just need to tune the mid-course brake back a bit. I could have sworn that I saw a retro on-ride video once of one of the Giovanola hypercoasters where the mid-course brake only slowed the train down a little bit and the second section looked intense and terrifying.

I'm going to say Timber Wolf at Worlds of Fun. I'd heard bad things about it, but when I rode it in 2010, I found that while it was hardly a "great" ride, it wasn't as bad as what I'd heard. In fact, I felt it had the potential to be great, if given proper treatment.

However, I've heard that it has steadily gotten worse since 2010.

HellCat at Timber Falls

It has a great-looking layout designed by Alan Schilke, yet the park has let it become the worst wooden coaster I've been on. So so so so bad.

I read somewhere that the park actually loses money on the ride. But it help brings in people for mini golf and the other attraction, so it does help them out in the end. Even so, I wish they'd invest in a refurb of the track.

^Well, that's probably why Alan came up with the topper/ibox track. It seems Luke too many parks aren't willing tobinvestcin traditional woodies

My vote goes to wild beast at Canada's wonderland. It actually provides some airtime, unlike Minebuster (the parks other large woodie), however, it's brutally rough in any row other than the front. It's sad to see the ride be so dead and empty every time I go... You know a ride's bad when even the GP won't go near it!

A good retracting, or RMC redo would bring some life back into the ride.

If New York, New York removed the shoulder pads, then I think that it would actually be pretty awesome. I actually love the layout, as it is a great mix of a hyper and looping coaster. It is a shame that it is painful. I wonder why it even has the shoulder pads in the first place; many other coasters with Premier trains operate just fine with the lap component only.

The Boss.

I remember telling my friend from St. Louis that there was a possibility that the Boss was going to be I boxed with inversions and everything we love about RMC being added. They couldn't stop laughing for about 5 minutes straight. They had no idea I boxing was even possible, and to this day think I box/topper track coasters like outlaw run are faked and photoshopped (even though they can simply drive a few hours to SDC, as they only live a few hours away).

Anyway, I'm really interested to see if Intamin will step up and challenge RMC in the coaster rehab department..it would be really interesting to see how a rehab by them with pre fav track would go.

Thunderhawk at Dorney. Re-track it, remove the trims and let it fly... too bad this won't ever happen because even with the trims they can't maintain the ride so I highly doubt they could maintain it properly if it required even more work than it already does. This ride has great airtime in the front car but right now it's too painful to enjoy.

This is less of a "bad ride which could be good" and more of a "good ride which could be great," but I think if they'd reprofile some of the hills on SFA's S:ROS they could have a top 15 steel coaster easily.

As it is, the ride's first drop and turn are awesome, but then it spends a lot of time doing nothing with the slow-crested hills, huge helices, and (although part of me loves them) bizarre straight sections. Lower the first airtime hill, cut a level out of the first helix, and replace the straight section with a bunny hop and you'd have a really really fun ride on your hands.

I'm going to say Timber Wolf at Worlds of Fun.

Obviously, I'd say Mean Streak, Boss, etc... But I really like this idea. I got to ride Timber Wolf in 1994, and it was a great ride. I go to WoF about 1-2 times a year, and I probably haven't ridden Timber Wolf since 2001. It's just awful now.