TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Oh Sh*^" moments vs. a good ride

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first ride on Skyrush definitely gave me the most "Oh Sh**" moments I've had in recent memory, especially that first ejector airtime hill. Legitimately thought I was going to fly out of the train.

I'll second that - it isn't so much an actual "moment" but rather almost the entire duration of the ride is an on-going "oh s***" experience.

Skyrush for me as well. I've only been on two rides where I felt like I might have gotten myself into more than I could handle. Skyrush and X2 (or X at the time).

Skyrush and X2 are the other two examples I was thinking of that are non stop "Oh Sh!t" moments from start to finish.

Skyrush for me as well. I've only been on two rides where I felt like I might have gotten myself into more than I could handle. Skyrush and X2 (or X at the time).

Skyrush and X2 are the other two examples I was thinking of that are non stop "Oh Sh!t" moments from start to finish.

Non stop violence, more like!

Personally I prefer a good, thoughtful, integrated ride than just a handful of gimmicks. I'm still not sure about Twisted Colossus as I don't find gnarly ejector airtime to be all that and the high-five doesn't appeal to me at all. Out of the RMC creations I've seen (haven't ridden any of them yet), Medusa at Six Flags Mexico looks to be the most appealing to me as the layout is complex and immersive. Although I don't think it'll be a purely gimmicky ride, a single turn to the right wouldn't have gone amiss on Twisted Colossus. A good balance of an immersive, well-paced, complex layout followed by a handful of well-placed "oh shit" moments is my personal preference, and the reason why, despite how rough it can be, I still find Ghost Rider to be one of the best designed coasters around.

Out of the RMC creations I've seen (haven't ridden any of them yet), Medusa at Six Flags Mexico looks to be the most appealing to me as the layout is complex and immersive.

Out of the hybrids, I also find medusa the most appealing which perfectly shows a ride doesn't have to be the biggest of fastest to be great, but that we already know.

Not sure if this fits the category of the intended thread but Conneaut's Blue Streak, especially in the back seat, has that "Oh Sh*^" moment on the first two hills. Felt like I was on a bucking bronco. The overall ride is actually pretty good, layout wise, and though we may never see a full refurbishment of the ride due to the problems the park has been having, for what it is I think it belongs on the list.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this is probably more of an "enthusiast vs. GP" question. The "Oh sh*t" moment is far more marketable that a consistently good ride, you ant sell good forces to someone as easily as the duelling Dragons interactions or drop track sections etc. uktinately if the park can get 100 GP rather than one enthusiast they'll do it in a heartbeat.

Non stop violence, more like!

Personally I prefer a good, thoughtful, integrated ride than just a handful of gimmicks. I'm still not sure about Twisted Colossus as I don't find gnarly ejector airtime to be all that and the high-five doesn't appeal to me at all. Out of the RMC creations I've seen (haven't ridden any of them yet), Medusa at Six Flags Mexico looks to be the most appealing to me as the layout is complex and immersive. Although I don't think it'll be a purely gimmicky ride, a single turn to the right wouldn't have gone amiss on Twisted Colossus. A good balance of an immersive, well-paced, complex layout followed by a handful of well-placed "oh poo-poo" moments is my personal preference, and the reason why, despite how rough it can be, I still find Ghost Rider to be one of the best designed coasters around.

Right, but you have to admit, if any park could use a gnarly airtime ride, it's SFMM.