TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Steel Phantom or Phantom's Revenge?

Ok people. This post is all on one coaster, the Phantom's Revenge (formerly Steel Phantom) at Kennywood. What I would like to know is which version of it you guys prefer or like better. Do you think it's better the way it is now? Or do some (or maybe most) of you like it better the way it was, when it had all the loops? I've never ridden either version. So I wouldn't know. But I have seen comments from people on YouTube and other places from people who say they like the original version (with all the loops) better, as well as some who like the current version. But I'd like to know what you guys think (well, any of you guys who rode both versions). Was it better with the loops or without?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably the exact inverse of most people here in that I have only been on Steel Phantom. I was VERY young when I rode it, so I don't really remember it, but I do remember telling everyone I know the second drop was the best! I also remember it giving my sister a headache, but I was too young to be hurt by it. Even today I don't mind Arrows though (maybe might height is an advantage?) The only coaster that is too rough for me is Mean Streak.

I hope to get back out to Kennywood though. I don't think I've been since '92.

I've been on both incarnations many times, and I think that if we remove the nostalgic romanticism from the fact that the original can't be ridden anymore, Phantom's Revenge is absolutely superior in every way possible...smoothness, openness, airtime, fun, being totally re-rideable...the whole experience improved significantly.

The first two hills on Steel Phantom were good fun, as they are now, but beginning with the curve at the bottom of the second drop, the headbanging would pick up in a hurry. There were only a few good seats on the train that delivered a somewhat smooth ride with any consistency, and you'd have to posture defensively in the inversions to eke out a tolerable experience. Go back and look at old pics/vids and you can see just how dated some of the transitions seem today. The exit of the corkscrew always supplied a head jolt, and you could never successfully brace yourself against it. You had to really fight the ride at times to have fun. It maintained some cult fans to the end, and despite a short surge in ridership once its removal was announced, it scared off a lot of the GP in its later years and wasn't too popular.

Steel Phantom sure had a mystique to it in its first couple of years, though. It was amazing at the time that Kennywood would make such a big statement in the budding coaster war that Magnum started, and the buzz was huge. It definitely deserves historical respect, but Phantom's Revenge is an all-around better version. In fact, I wish Chance/Morgan would've picked up more business after Phantom's Revenge (other than Superman El Ultimo Escape)...but now with Lightning Run proving itself so well, it seems like the potential is renewed for us to reap some awesome new thrills from these guys in the future! More Phantom/Lightning Run airtime in the world? Yes, please!

I loved Steel phantom, I was young when I rode it for the first time which was its final year. To me it was not rough at all, my mom on the other hand hated it.

Phantom's Revenge is fun and provides some great airtime, but I was always a little disappointed with the new layout. I thought they could have done something more and/or better.

I would take Steel Phantom over Phantom's Revenge.

we LOVED Phantom's Revenge, and it's a coaster I was able to get my partner on during our recent Penn. trip (I also got him on Steel Force. . once).

no way would he have gone on Steel Phantom, but he greatly enjoyed Phantom's revenge.

the 2nd drop (thru Thunderbolt) is amazing, and we even enjoyed the bunny hills after you pass around the Turtle.

great all around coaster.

I've been on both incarnations many times, and I think that if we remove the nostalgic romanticism from the fact that the original can't be ridden anymore, Phantom's Revenge is absolutely superior in every way possible...smoothness, openness, airtime, fun, being totally re-rideable...the whole experience improved significantly.

The first two hills on Steel Phantom were good fun, as they are now, but beginning with the curve at the bottom of the second drop, the headbanging would pick up in a hurry. There were only a few good seats on the train that delivered a somewhat smooth ride with any consistency, and you'd have to posture defensively in the inversions to eke out a tolerable experience. Go back and look at old pics/vids and you can see just how dated some of the transitions seem today. The exit of the corkscrew always supplied a head jolt, and you could never successfully brace yourself against it. You had to really fight the ride at times to have fun. It maintained some cult fans to the end, and despite a short surge in ridership once its removal was announced, it scared off a lot of the GP in its later years and wasn't too popular.

Steel Phantom sure had a mystique to it in its first couple of years, though. It was amazing at the time that Kennywood would make such a big statement in the budding coaster war that Magnum started, and the buzz was huge. It definitely deserves historical respect, but Phantom's Revenge is an all-around better version. In fact, I wish Chance/Morgan would've picked up more business after Phantom's Revenge (other than Superman El Ultimo Escape)...but now with Lightning Run proving itself so well, it seems like the potential is renewed for us to reap some awesome new thrills from these guys in the future! More Phantom/Lightning Run airtime in the world? Yes, please!

Yeah. I get your point. I did forget to mention that they did kinda have no choice to make the ride into what it is today, and that the loops were kinda rough on the heads and necks of some riders from what I've heard. In fact, I think due to the uncomfortable head banging sustained on some riders due to the loops in the old version of the ride (Steel Phantom), some enthusiasts nicknamed it "Steel Smashem"!

I've been fortunate enough to have ridden both, although Steel Phantom came while I was younger and before I really considered coaster-riding a hobby. Despite that technicality, and despite my love for Arrow Mega Loopers, I think Phantom's Revenge is right up there with some of the best coasters I've ever ridden.

It's a pipe dream, but I always wished Shockwave at SFGAm (or GASM at SFGAdv) got the Morgan-Treatment when they were going down. I imagine they would turn out similarly to Lightning Run at Kentucky Kingdom.

I also have had many rides on both versions. This right here pretty much sums up my feelings exactly:

I honestly cannot even begin to image why someone could possibly choose liking the original over the new version. They are either a masochist or just haven't ridden enough bad coasters in their time to know just how bad the original version was.

--Robb

Phantom's Revenge is a top-ten ride for me. Based on my experience with other old Arrow multiloopers, I can't imagine that Steel Phantom would rank nearly as high.

That's about all I can say about it, as I haven't rode the original version.

I think people would celebrate when a bad ride is removed or getting "treatment" and start saying they miss the old version after a while. I've read about people missing the original Rattler, SoB, Texas Giant and even Psyclone when the new version or replacement are clearly better. I believe after a few years, some people will start saying they like Colossus and Cyclone better.

I think people would celebrate when a bad ride is removed or getting "treatment" and start saying they miss the old version after a while. I've read about people missing the original Rattler, SoB, Texas Giant and even Psyclone when the new version or replacement are clearly better. I believe after a few years, some people will start saying they like Colossus and Cyclone better.

Never underestimate the power of nostalgia.

I liked the Steel Phantom when I was younger, even though you had to ride very defensively to prevent your head from bashing. I remember riding it 6 times in a row and my ears were beat red. I hurt my neck on it sitting in the front seat going through the first loop. My neck snapped forward since it didn't want to follow the train The train would hit the first loop hard, even with the trim right before it. Today, I would not want to ride the Steel Phantom. I'm glad they created the Phantom's Revenge.

Never underestimate the power of nostalgia.

Yes, and sometimes people seem to genuinely forget how these old rides used to be. Of course there will always be those who did like the old coasters.

I rode the original Steel Phantom on opening day and it was awesome. If it would have been possible to preserve the speed and smoothness then I think it'd still be around today. Sadly, like many other arrow coasters, the ride didn't age well.

Phantoms Revenge is a fun ride but I don't think it's truly better than the original. First and second drops are virtually identical. Revenge is smoother on the back half but is somewhat boring with the tiny dips. The way that the trains carry speed with little or no trim brake is probably my favorite element.

I honestly cannot even begin to image why someone could possibly choose liking the original over the new version. They are either a masochist or just haven't ridden enough bad coasters in their time to know just how bad the original version was.

--Robb

But da riginal had loopz n loopz r awsum So says the GP

I enjoyed the inversions on Steel Phantom but even I admit that they became painful with age. It was sad to see them all removed but the decision made sense. With the speed of the second drop I had hoped for a record setting loop after the ravine.

Oh well, maybe the 3rd version will have that along with a 45 degree lift hill.

The new Phantom is definitely better than the old. I remember when I rode it for the first time, it completely blew me away. Although, I really did enjoy the old version. It taught me well how to ride rough Arrows.

The Carnegie Science Center downtown has a simulator of the Phantom in their SportsWorks building. It used to be of the old version, but they may very well have updated it by now.

^It is still the original Steel Phantom. It's one of seven (I think?) coasters (only three of which are real IIRC) one can "ride" on it, with Drachen Fire being another.

It's even got the original entrance sign hanging above it:

549777_568251389865253_685546697_n.jpg?oh=e322832175b2fccd2b038c2404b4cba8&oe=5486C812&__gda__=1417891523_f64a7cb26304f6d8c7354f99f7da5e72

Looks like I am the minority of folks that liked the original better. I lived Pittsburgh for 35 years and never liked Phantoms Revenge. I did like the original Steel Phantom after Lazer Loop got shipped down to Mexico. As others have stated, it was another Arrow that did not age well and needed retired. It was a great concept in the days of Arrow. To me though, the "Revenge" treatment was just a band aid on that. The double up was dropped somewhere in the plan, which is probably a good thing. When I rode it the first time, my thoughts where that they should have just torn it down completely and replaced with something else until the technology was available to actually run the ravine and not need the long prior to to just a few up and down bumps. I am looking at RMC here on this one for future possibilities. However, given current management and what I have heard of the state of my favorite "The Ark". I would be surprised to see Phantom ever painted again.