TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Parks that Don't Get Crowded

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

King's Doninion and Knotts Berry Farm are two parks that I have only ever visited in the middle of the summer and yet have been very, very manageable in terms of crowds. Also, Im hard-pressed to think of a time Fun Spot America ever had enough crowds to warrant more than a one-cycle wait on any ride.

Kings Dominion is great to go on a weekday during summer as most rides never really have waits. Six Flag America is another one. Even on the weekends, they tend to have very small crowds, in fact I don't even remember the last time any of the coaster's switchbacks have been used.

If you're really desperate for credits, you could hit Adventure City (weekdays) or Castle Park (Sunday evening) down here, since the "big guys" sorta suck the crowds away. Knott's also doesn't really get as crowded when it isn't holiday season (October-December). If you're lucky enough and it's raining in SoCal, absolutely GO to Disneyland; tourists hate rain and stay away.

In California:

-Knott's is usually the least busy of the major parks. I have seen them get some pretty significant crowds during holiday periods and on Saturdays, but even during the summer if you visit on a weekday you typically don't see lines over 30 minutes except for reduced capacity attractions.

-Castle Amusement Park has been dead every time I've visited. Even on a Saturday during winter break nothing was more than a 10 minute wait.

-Gilroy Gardens was empty on both my visits (both summer weekends). Both times I planned about 4 hours for the park and rode everything I wanted to ride within 2.

-In my experience California's Great America has never been crowded outside of the waterpark. I've heard it can get busy on Saturdays, but on all three of my visits most rides have been walk-ons and even when I visited last year the brand new Gold Striker only had a 15 minute wait.

There isn't any park outside of California that I've been to enough to say it doesn't get crowded, but I will say that Dollywood, Kings Dominion, Six Flags St. Louis, Indiana Beach, and Dorney Park were all significantly less crowded than I expected them to be when I visited.

Most parks have times they aren't crowded and other times they're a madhouse. It's all about figuring out what others do, and doing the opposite. It would be shorter to list the parks that tend to be crowded (the ones everyone wants to go to most). It would be interesting to know if even these have their slack times.

There are some factors other than basic crowd draw. Hershey has some twilight and last 2 hours +next day deals so there is less tapering off late. SFA closes early-ish so there is less tapering too, plus running one train often means little wait but few rerides.

Valleyfair can get relatively crowded on Saturdays and some Sundays during Summer, but on weekdays, there really aren't any lines longer than 15, maybe 20 minutes. It's nice to be able to marathon almost anything in the park when you go on a weekday.

People swear that Dorney gets crowded but even on it's most crowded day you'll never wait more than 15-30 minutes for the major coasters. The water park is a different story though.

^ Kings Dominion can get absolutely slammed during Haunt (though that's true of most parks not named Dorney). Last year when we went on a Haunt Saturday Volcano had a 3 hour wait, Even Windseeker and Drop Tower were posting hour plus waits. We had Fastlane though so we didn't care.

Dorney Park baffles me. I finally went for my first time early last August on the Mini East Coast Tour. It was a Saturday, and the park was absolutely dead. Before lunch I had ridden every major coaster, as well as plenty of re-rides on the ones I liked. It was weird.

I wouldn't agree about Lake Compounce not being crowded. As much as I love the park, I wouldn't go near there on a summer weekend due to crowds and horrible line jumping. Haunted Graveyard in October also gets massive crowds. Of course, they don't help matters any by constantly running 1 train on Boulder Dash.