TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dubai Parks & Resorts Discussion Thread! Motiongate, Lego...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

More info here too

http://whatson.ae/dubai/knowledge/32145/giant-movie-theme-park-motiongate-dubai/

- The Hotel Transylvania ride will be in a 2,800 square metre indoor space and will be seven minutes long. During it you’ll be seated in a carriage that holds four people. The ride is ‘trackless’, and there are 27 separate carriages going around at once, which means you’ll never know which way you’ll turn and you’re likely to have near-misses with other punters. The highest point of the ride is 42 metres (about the same height as the Statue of Liberty). The ‘story’ of the ride will be a surprise party hosted by the monsters in the movie.

- Guido Zucchi, the General Manage of Motiongate says The How To Train Your Dragon attraction will be an interactive ride that is “unprecedented” and “unique worldwide”. We’re thinking holograms? “This is going to be Hollywood in the desert,” he said of the park in general.

- There will be five roller coasters in Motiongate, with a total track length of 2,593 metres

• 1 month later...

Some of this is rehashing, but there is a little bit of new info/details on some of the rides from this LA Times article.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-trb-motiongate-bollywood-legoland-dubai-20151023-story.html

What to expect at Dubai's 'Hollywood in the desert' theme park

'Hunger Games'

Brady MacDonald

A $2.85-billion project boasting three theme parks in a Middle Eastern desert will include the world’s first “Hunger Games” rides along with attractions based on “Ghostbusters,” “Hotel Transylvania” and “How to Train Your Dragon.”

Set to debut in October 2016, the massive Dubai theme-park complex will include Motiongate Dubai, featuring zones based on a trio of Hollywood movie studios; Bollywood Park, showcasing Mumbai’s major film studios; and Legoland Dubai, catering to the grade-school crowd.

The improbable notion of a theme park oasis in the desert has been contemplated for more than a decade. The first mega-theme park project — dubbed Dubailand — would have been twice the size of the 40-square-mile Disney World resort. Universal Studios, Six Flags, Dreamworks and Marvel all announced projects that eventually were put on hold following the 2008 global recession.

'Hollywood in the desert' theme park coming to Dubai

The success of Ferrari World in nearby Abu Dhabi proved that the concept of an indoor-outdoor theme park set in an environment of relentless 120-degree heat and sky-darkening sandstorms was indeed possible.

The new project by Dubai Parks & Resorts will open with 73 attractions from a host of international ridemakers, including Dynamic Attractions, Gerstlauer, Mack Rides, S&S-Sansei, Triotech, WhiteWater Attractions, Zamperla and Zierer.

Dubbed “Hollywood in the desert,” the Motiongate Dubai movie theme park will feature 27 attractions, including five roller coasters. Backed by a trio of Hollywood movie studios, the park will be divided into four zones: DreamWorks, Lionsgate, Sony Pictures and Smurfs Village. Visitors will enter through an area known as Studios Central.

Geared toward tweens and teens, the Lionsgate zone will feature state-of-the-art “Hunger Games” attractions along with a retail store focused on the dystopian book and film series. One of the “Hunger Games” rides will be a launched roller coaster, according to Screamscape.

Curiously, the Lionsgate zone also will include a live stage show with singing, dancing and acrobatics based on the trilogy of “Step Up” movies. It will be interesting to see how a themed land focused primarily on a deadly teenage battle royal will mesh with a pump-up-the-party dance show.

The Sony Pictures zone will include a New York City backlot highlighting the movie-making experience along with a working movie studio.

The highlight of the Sony zone will be an ETF Ride Systems trackless dark ride based on the “Hotel Transylvania” animated films. After crossing a moat into a castle, visitors will board a family-friendly ride that travels through a surprise “Bon Voyage” party for Dracula’s teenage daughter.

The Sony zone will feature a white-water rapids ride, a drop tower and 3-D theater show with themes based on “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs,” “Ghostbusters,” “The Green Hornet” and “Zombieland.”

The Dreamworks zone will feature attractions based on “Shrek,” “Kung Fu Panda” and “Madagascar,” including roller coasters, a motion simulator and a show in a 1,000-seat theater. The highlight of the themed land will be a “How to Train Your Dragon” interactive multimedia experience.

Motiongate Dubai’s final zone, Smurfs Village, takes kids into the giant toadstool homes of the small blue creatures. The family-friendly land will include play areas, character shows and a kiddie coaster.

The massive desert complex will include two other theme parks and a central shopping district.

With 16 attractions, Bollywood Park will showcase Indian movies with themed lands dedicated to five of Mumbai’s major film studios. The Bollywood Boulevard entrance will feature dancers and street theater, while the 800-seat Raj Mahal theater will present a Broadway-style Bollywood show.

Legoland Dubai will follow the model of the chain’s other theme parks, with kid-sized rides and a Miniland centerpiece made from millions of Lego bricks. The park will include 40 attractions plus a Legoland water park.

Water taxis will navigate a canal running through the Riverpark shopping district that makes architectural homages to a medieval French village, mid-century Los Angeles and neon Las Vegas. A 500-room Marriott-run hotel will be incorporated into the mall.

Dubai Parks & Resorts is using only about a quarter of its 2,000-acre property for this first phase of development, leaving plenty of room for future projects. The developer recently signed an agreement to build a Six Flags park on the site.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

New information was released today for motiongate Dubai including detailed information about all 27 rides!

PRESS RELEASE

Lights, Camera…and Action! motiongate™ Dubai’s 27 star rides and attractions step into the spotlight, joined by cast of live entertainment

Fly, spin, twirl and glide through 13 of Hollywood’s most beloved live action and animated films in this movie-inspired theme park at Dubai Parks and Resorts

Dubai, UAE – 22 March 2016: Imagine riding a dragon and soaring high above, or embarking on a river expedition through a mythical land. How would you feel blasting up a 58m tower to escape from a horde of zombies, or if you found yourself aboard a hovercraft playing the hero?

At motiongate™ Dubai - part of the Dubai Parks and Resorts destination -you choose your role. With a starting line-up of 27 action-packed rides and attractions inspired by some of Hollywood’s most cherished movies from DreamWorks Animation, Sony Pictures Studios – including The Smurfs and Lionsgate, guests can take the lead in their own cinematic adventure. Plus, with a handful of live entertainment experiences such as an encounter with a big green ogre, a ghost-busting singing boy band, a vampire heroine, a kung fu fighting panda or a colony of little blue friends, guests will be entertained at every turn with a stellar supporting cast.

“We are taking guests beyond the screen, into a world of cinematic adventure at motiongate™ Dubai. With an action-packed line-up of Hollywood-inspired rides and attractions from fast-paced roller coasters, multi-sensory theatre shows to imaginative play areas, plus a full line-up of live entertainment shows, there is something for everyone,” said Guido Zucchi, General Manager of motiongate™ Dubai.

Those looking for some extreme action will find it here. Adrenaline seekers of all ages can get their fix on five exhilarating roller coasters scripted around some major film favourites. The Sony Pictures Studios Zone will feature The Green Hornet: High Speed Chase, a high action roller coaster, which follows the masked crusader and his sidekick Kato on a white knuckle pursuit through dizzying drops and sharp turns. Fans of The Hunger Games can hop onto the speedy Capitol Bullet Train, an adrenaline pumping roller coaster, which launches guests through 360 degrees of thrill inside the Lionsgate Zone. Two roller coasters can be found inside the DreamWorks Zone: Madagascar Mad Pursuit, the fastest roller coaster in the park, which will take guests on a mad chase through the circus alongside the Zoosters; and Dragon Gliders, a one-of-a-kind suspended roller coaster inviting guests to soar high above the land of Berk, inspired by How To Train Your Dragon. Lastly, a special adventure awaits aboard Smurfs Village Express where families can glide through the enchanting mushroom-capped town of the beloved Smurfs.

That’s not all. Brave enough to face zombies, monsters and ghosts? Go ‘supernatural’ blasting off with Zombieland, Underworld’s 4D theatre or hop aboard a zany dark ride with Hotel Transylvania or the Ghostbusters. Fancy getting splashed around? Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs will send guests sailing on a white water rapids voyage.

There’s plenty of action for family and little ones too, with exploratory and adventure play areas inspired by these animated hits: The Smurfs, Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Prefer shows and live theatre? Train under the masters at the Kung Fu Panda Academy, interact with Brainy Smurf on-stage or grab a front row seat to the ultimate hip hop dance competition with Step Up Dubai, All In!

“Movies are a favourite leisure pursuit in this region, and motiongate™ Dubai is combining the best of Hollywood cinema, theme parks and live entertainment to create an amazing experience for our guests throughout their journey at Dubai Parks and Resorts. With so much on offer in our destination, we are confident Dubai Parks and Resorts will be creating unforgettable memories for everyone,” said Stanford Pinto, Chief Parks Operating Officer, Dubai Parks and Resorts.

motiongate™ Dubai is spread across five zones: Sony Pictures Studios, DreamWorks, Smurfs Village, Lionsgate and Studio Central, the park’s entry boulevard.

Scheduled to open in October this year, motiongate™ Dubai is part of Dubai Parks and Resorts which will also feature the region’s first LEGOLAND® Park and a LEGOLAND® Water Park. Committed to bringing together the best of the East and West, Dubai Parks and Resorts will also feature Bollywood Parks™ Dubai, the first ever theme park based on the sights and sounds of Bollywood. The entire destination will be connected by Riverland™ Dubai – a retail, dining and entertainment walkway and guests can stay at the Lapita™ Hotel, Autograph Collection, a Polynesian-themed resort catering to families.

And here is the detailed attraction breakdown!

1853368618_ScreenShot2016-03-22at5_51_21PM.png.eb1e3d7bea91d8242c14cba930471eea.png

227066791_ScreenShot2016-03-22at5_51_56PM.png.24893b11d370a15bc50c77efd7711ae6.png

687710024_ScreenShot2016-03-22at5_52_43PM.png.e0a6db3974cc47fe1f2feac05a68ca8b.png

1401129760_ScreenShot2016-03-22at5_53_23PM.png.ae2a69f497f8ba34fb14997a64341a99.png

1844963394_ScreenShot2016-03-22at5_53_39PM.png.383236612367608ec0066f8e45675e57.png

DreamWorks.thumb.jpg.d4ac37826891599a871bef6c05f9bc3d.jpg

Lionsgate.thumb.jpg.ac1b6e2e383e57566aa5f418288317e9.jpg

1415828209_SmurfsVillage.thumb.jpg.fa632a186fe900e1e296ffe536907f3c.jpg

1515032875_SonyPicturesStudios.thumb.jpg.981f3612786f4f96ff223cc750bf90f8.jpg

678003518_motiongateDubaiparkoverviewwpins.thumb.png.4d2414a02d96e909fd568043028e8d8c.png

1143300729_motiongateDubaiparkoverview.thumb.jpg.268a62f14826cc4c22667b4933f034ec.jpg

Edited by ernierocker

^ Sounds pretty friggin' awesome! Though I must voice my disappointment that there's not a Hunger Games attraction where you get to hunt and kill other park guests. Missed opportunity there, guys.

The Ghostbusters dark ride alone makes me excited to visit, and the overall selection sounds pretty good for a brand new park. On face value at least, Motiongate certainly looks to have a greater depth of attractions than IMG Worlds of Adventure.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another piece of the growing amusement park puzzle in the region.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/six-flags-is-coming-to-giant-dubai-amusement-park/

Six Flags is coming to giant Dubai amusement park

CBS MarketWatch March 28, 2016, 3:33 PM

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -A massive Dubai amusement park project still under construction plans a $454 million addition to include a Six Flags (SIX), the company said Monday, yet another major bet on tourism by the attraction backed by the city-state's ruler.

The new spending by Dubai Parks & Resorts, which already includes Bollywood and movie-themed parks, as well as a Legoland, will put the cost of the entire project in the sprawling desert southwest of the city at well over $3 billion.

And by adding the Six Flags, it appears the company hopes to exorcise the lingering memory of another massive amusement park planned here to include it before the emirate's 2008 property crash.

Dubai Parks & Resorts said its board of directors agreed to issue shares worth 1.67 billion dirhams ($454 million) to raise money for the Six Flags Dubai park. Shareholders will vote on the deal in April, it said.

It offered no other details about what will be planned for the park, though a mock-up on display earlier this month at the resort's main office showed a possible addition to the park on its eastern corner.

In a statement, Dubai Parks & Resorts' CEO Raed Kajoor al-Nuaimi said the addition of the Six Flags park would "further establish Dubai Parks and Resorts' position as the Middle East's largest leisure and entertainment destination."

"This means we will be able to strengthen the appeal of our destination, attracting thrill seekers of all ages," he said. Officials hope to open the Six Flags park by late 2019.

Approval of the plan by shareholders appears likely. The park's majority owner, with a 60 percent stake, is Meraas Holding, a firm backed by Dubai's ruler, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum. Previous listings on the Dubai Financial Market showed the Kuwait Investment Authority, that country's sovereign wealth fund, owned a 5 percent stake, as did Bahrain's Mubasher Financial Services, though that information was no longer listed the exchange's website Monday.

Shares in Dubai Parks & Resorts closed at 1.21 dirhams (33 cents) in Monday trading.

Six Flags Entertainment "will be heavily involved in managing" the Dubai park, said Nancy Krejsa, a spokeswoman for the Grand Prairie, Texas-based company. She declined to discuss the financial terms of the deal. Annual reports for over the last two years for Six Flags included mentions of it making licensing deals overseas that don't require it "to make any capital investments," while reaping fees while any park is under development or opened.

Six Flags signed a 2014 deal with Meraas to build a theme park on Dubai's outskirts, and the Dubai Parks & Resorts' announcement is "the next stage of the agreement," Krejsa said in an email. It also announced a partnership last week with private firm NaVi Entertainment to lend its name to a theme and water park in Vietnam, without disclosing financial terms of the deal.

While still mostly desert, the site of Dubai Parks & Resorts is close to where Dubai plans to host the 2020 World Expo, or world's fair, as well as Al Maktoum International Airport at Dubai World Central, which officials hope someday will handle over 200 million passengers a year.

Investors hope to gain from the growing number of tourists visiting Dubai, home to the long-haul airline Emirates, the world's tallest building, luxury malls and other attractions. In 2015, Dubai saw 14.2 million overnight visitors, up from 13.2 million the year before, according to the emirate's Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing.

But challenges remain for the park, which is scheduled to open its other attractions this October. Low global oil prices have pinched the United Arab Emirates and other neighboring Gulf countries, which supply a ready stream of tourists to Dubai.

Meanwhile, the memory remains of a massive planned amusement park known as Dubailand, which collapsed when property values in the emirate crashed and Dubai had to accept multibillion-dollar emergency aid packages from Abu Dhabi to stay afloat.

Stefan Zwanzger, a German amusement park enthusiast who blogs about the industry and has lived in the Emirates, said that while amusement parks likely would do good business in the UAE, adding so many of them at once through this project and others could prove problematic.

"I have no idea who's writing the feasibility study for the UAE to build so many theme parks at the same time," Zwanzger said. "It's as if you go in a Lamborghini and you accelerate from zero to 100 in four seconds. It's probably fun, but you can hit a lamp post."

Motiongate now has what appears to be a Gerstlauer bobsled on site. Possibly a spinner but looks more bobsledy to me

mg1.thumb.jpg.69d1e233747f515a5d1bd046d5c5c3d7.jpg

mg2.thumb.jpg.fe917314a23ae396c718798ec4cfab04.jpg

motion3.thumb.jpg.8a69ff72cc661cfee0f0c8bc1805c08d.jpg

looking at the parks attraction list its probably this one

The Green Hornet: High Speed Chase - A fast-paced roller coaster that sends guests speeding through sharp turns and dizzying drops.

I've been so busy lately I haven't had time to follow this but I just wanted to weigh in on the Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs Rapids Ride...I LOVE THIS!!! This was one of my favorite books growing up and I passed it on to KT as well. The movie was, well, a movie version, but I'm still excited for this!

I've been so busy lately I haven't had time to follow this but I just wanted to weigh in on the Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs Rapids Ride...I LOVE THIS!!! This was one of my favorite books growing up and I passed it on to KT as well. The movie was, well, a movie version, but I'm still excited for this!

I'm really hoping it's as incredible as Mystery River at Movie Park Germany. That was one seriously fun and extravagantly themed rapids ride!

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the park will open with a ton of attractions at park opening. I can't wait to see future trip reports.

This would be the attraction I would be looking forward to the most as well, though like you, I would rather it be based of the book rather than the movie version.

image.jpeg.f2a050cc80f836390eb6d7ebdd8d6379.jpeg

We all know that the real Zombieland Drop Tower is located at Wild Adventures. :)

image.jpeg.1b670ea7e451f76b411cd5f15dbad7f2.jpeg

I still have my original book I am guessing from the early 1980's.

Edited by Erik Johnson

That looks seriously impressive, seems that they've got it all balanced out really well rides wise and the theming certainly is aimed at everyone. Not quite sure if Madagascar: Mad pursuit is Intamin or Mack, but it looks interesting. Looking forward to seeing it open!