TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Amusement Today Golden Ticket Awards 2014

As much as I love Noah's Ark, it's in horrible shape right now. I honestly don't think it's received any maintenance since Parques Reunidos (or as I like to call them Park Ruiners) took over the place. I don't understand how it's the number one walk through anymore.

Probably because the same people vote for it year after year, even though they haven't experienced it in a long time.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't ridden Outlaw Run yet, but I did ride NTG and IRat a day apart, and NTG seemed a little tame compared to IR. And Prowler should be on the list way before Shoulder Bash should. Skyrush and I305 are better than any of the B&M Hypers on the list (excluding Leviathan - haven't ridden).

I'm also wondering, unless there's trash lying around, how much cleaner can one park really be than another? Seems like a category just to have one more park pay to be on the list. HW is no cleaner than most of the other mid-large parks.

Just saw the official Top 50 results for wooden and steel coasters, and once again, it's more mind boggling results. Why on Earth are crappy coasters like Ghostrider and Hades 360 on the woodie list? There is no way that Flying Turns is the #25 woodie in the world. Also, how is Goliath only #23? It should at least be in the Top 15 if not the Top 10. I swear, the amount of bias in the Golden Ticket Awards drives me insane.

http://www.goldenticketawards.com/backissues/at_gt_2014_issue.pdf

Just saw the official Top 50 results for wooden and steel coasters, and once again, it's more mind boggling results. Why on Earth are crappy coasters like Ghostrider and Hades 360 on the woodie list? There is no way that Flying Turns is the #25 woodie in the world. Also, how is Goliath only #23? It should at least be in the Top 15 if not the Top 10. I swear, the amount of stupidity of the Golden Ticket Awards drives me insane.

Fixed.

Magnum Xl 200 is #13... tied with I305 and better than Nemesis, Montu, Skyrush, Maverick and Kumba. Just think about that for a minute.

Personally I think X2 and Magnum are the most overrated rides in history. I think X2 is more overrated as I consider it one of the most brutal and terrible coasters I've ever ridden (I mean Great Adventure Viper and Son of Beast bad) while Magnum is at least rideable once or twice a day though it's pretty painful. That being said many people love X2 so I expected it to place where it did. I'd love to know who actually voted Magnum higher than those other coasters I mentioned.

Also, why did Skyrush end up at #26? If it's there because the airtime is painful due to the lap bars then fair enough I guess but someone needs to explain to me how Magnum is #13 then since it suffers from the EXACT SAME PROBLEM ONLY WORSE.

Also... Wild Eagle isn't better than Gatekeeper. That's just ridiculous. Steel Force and Blue Streak being ranked so highly is equally ridiculous.

EDIT: That's nice that Cedar Fair took out an ad congratulating Europa Park. Very classy...

These awards are like the "People's Choice Awards" where the people don't really choose, the publicists and marketing execs battle it out for recognition. The Mitch Hawker Poll is like the Academy Awards...people in the industry (coaster enthusiasts primarily) make educated decisions. (I'm not saying the AA are always correct, but it's the closest thing we've got to authentic awards for film.) I wish MH would extend his awards to more categories. With the GTA, it's not like people are walking around going, "Gee I wonder which coaster is going to get the Golden Ticket Award? I can't wait to hear." On the other hand, coaster enthusiasts wait with bated breath for the MH Poll to be released. WhatEv. Let the GTA be. They can have their cute little banners. Oh, and I like Flying Turns...how proud Dick Knoebel was when he talked about it to our TPR group this year on the MiniEast Coast trip was priceless. Give the guy a banner, it's just the GTA.

I use polls like this to gage what others think are good rides to what I think are. Everyone has an opinion on what makes a great coaster so I don't read to much into what makes the top spot because these polls are a lot about popularity.

Just remember that a lot of new rides that have been listed have to be out for a year before they are put into the voting tally. Then it's up to how much money is put up for them to be one the list. Oh I mean how many votes they can get.

So true, that is why I look at these for entertainment only. I trust my gut more then anything.

Two Hersheypark coasters were snubbed, Storm Runner and Fahrenheit. Especially Storm Runner - the Amusement Today voters don't like launches?

Also notice on page 38 of the Golden Ticket Awards issue that Lightning Racer at Hersheypark in the top 50 wood coaster list is referred to as Lightning Run. Oops!

There is obsession over the coaster rankings in these awards. They're crazy every year! People really ought to expect nothing less and get over them.

What of all the other awards dished out? It isn't just about the rollercoasters... I find the other awards more interesting.

For example, I went to Knoebels last year with an expectation of incredible food, and was disappointed by it. But others, such as cleanliness and so on - I often find myself agreeing with.

Perhaps it's because the awards were announced the same weekend as WCB this year, but I completely forgot about them until just now. Looking through the results, pretty much the same as in previous years. Since I started travelling out of state to visit parks, I've looked at the awards this way: if a ride or park places in a category, it's one of the best for that particular item, but just because it wins doesn't mean it is the best. Are Millennium Force, Bizarro, Expedition GeForce, Diamondback, and Nitro great coasters? Absolutely. Are they the top five in the world? Not necessarily.

Golden Ticket Awards are fun to look at just to see what changes (if any) happen from year to year. If I want an accurate poll, I'll use the Mitch Hawker poll.

I'm surprised to see Diamondback so high on the steel list, but I would agree that they at least got the best B&M correct for once.

The only thing that is surprising is when GTA recognizes excellence over mediocrity.

^Knoebels makes good "park food," but Epcot really should be the choice for best food overall.

But Epcot's World Showcase is a shopping mall, not a theme park.

Perhaps I didn't "get" Knoebels. I am English, so perhaps their food is more appealing to you guys over the pond. But for me, what I ate in a couple of locations was either just 'OK' or downright disgusting...! I even went to ask what I should buy in the park to really hit the bar...

Europa-Park have a Michelin starred restaurant now, for example. Epcot have some wonderful eateries... I don't really get Knoebels. The park seems to have a LOT of love in the Golden Tickets but isn't in the same league really...

I was stunned that Helix wasn't even nominated as best new ride for 2014, but something like Flying Turns won. I guess it's the TLC that goes into Flying Turns that perhaps turns heads.

^I think Flying Turns won out for the effort that park made in getting it running. The ride itself isn't very good. Any of a number of other new attractions would've been a better choice.

As for food, there's no accounting for taste. Some days, you just have to have fried pepper jack cheese.

^Knoebels makes good "park food," but Epcot really should be the choice for best food overall.

Its always sad to me when people dont recognize the greatness of World Showcase, or well-themed areas in general. A well-themed environment without rides, to me, can be a more exciting theme park than a mish-mash of basic rides.

Its always sad to me when people dont recognize the greatness of World Showcase, or well-themed areas in general. A well-themed environment without rides, to me, can be a more exciting theme park than a mish-mash of basic rides.

I do recognize how well themed this mall is!

I am shocked that Outlaw Run did not move up in the polls this year. Its ridiculous that the Beast beat it.

Was Harry Potter Escape from Gringotts not considered in the best dark ride category?

That steel list is even more ridiculous than the wooden one.

We've all said it before, Amusement Today is a crap poll.