221 members have voted

1. 1. Wicked Cyclone or Twisted Colossus

• Wicked Cyclone
    • Twisted Colossus

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wicked Cyclone, because it is NOT in California.

But you can't go get a Double-Double animal-style right after riding Wicked Cyclone, now, can you?

Ugh. I just have to rant about this...

In-N-Out is the most overrated restaurant on the planet. I really think people like it just because they have been told "You have to think it's cool, and people on your Facebook page will think you're cool if you check in here."

I lived most of my life with one ten minutes away from my house. I didn't dislike it, but I never understood why people went crazy for it. The burgers are not that amazing. They are "ok" at best. Shake Shack, Five Guys, Burger 21, The Counter all have better burgers.

But I guess there isn't any bragging rights at those restaurants, are there? The awful pretentiousness of your average southern Californian "I'm better than you because I live here" asshat was one of the main reasons I had to get away from that terrible state.

/end rant

--Robb "I'd rather go to White Castle." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

I chose Wicked Cyclone because it looks more complete and I feel it utilized the land and old layout of the old ride much better. It really irritates me how much of the old Colossus structure is getting removed, and each individual side is pretty much half the length of the original. Now the plot of land that the ride sits on seems very open and bare. I do like the connection of the layouts though.

But you can't go get a Double-Double animal-style right after riding Wicked Cyclone, now, can you?

Yeah...I don't blame you for hating this place. There's way too much YOLO-ness; heck, we have cities named Yolo and Weed

No, but I can get a Five Guys double with bacon and hot sauce and a much less pretentious crowd if I wanted.

Well said. And agreed.

Going with Wicked Cyclone. Even though it's almost half the length of Twisted Colossus, it feels like it does much more. WC is just non-stop action from the first drop to the brakes. I love how low to the ground much of the track is, AND it goes underneath it's own super-structure many times, intensifying the feeling of speed even more.

I really love twister coasters more than most traditional out-and-back coasters, as there is more opportunity to throw in a wider variety of elements as opposed to out-and-backs which are more or less just hills. WC is the perfect example of what you can do with a tight twister layout.

Wicked Cyclone. Much like Goliath last year, TC looks like the more insane design, but I thought Medusa at SFM looked like the much better ride last year and that's kind of how I feel with Wicked Cyclone this year. Both look like they'll be huge hits, especially if SFMM will actually duel the trains on TC.

I went with Twisted Colossus. It is RMC's most unique ride to date. Absolutely love the high five and zero-G roll elements that interact with the other track. Wicked Cyclone looks great, but to me it isn't anything original. I'm sure it'll be great (I'm a huge RMC fan boy), but it doesn't really have anything in it we haven't seen on an RMC before. TC is totally different than the other RMC rides, so I went with it. Don't get me wrong though, WC looks spectacular as well.

In-N-Out is the most overrated restaurant on the planet. I really think people like it just because they have been told "You have to think it's cool, and people on your Facebook page will think you're cool if you check in here."

+1. My wife and I were so excited to try In and Out.... and we didn't understand the hype. It was a cheeseburger. It was by no means bad, but it was not memorable at all.

Five Guys on the other hand was like the improved In and Out and the restaurant was (mostly) douche bag free.

Magic Mountain on the other hand WAS memorable and was NOT douche bag free. I think Magic Mountain can take something away from the best coaster. I wouldn't go tomorrow if it were in my back yard with free admission.

Edited by prozach626

Sorry but I think the west coast folks got pretty shortchanged. No other RMC remake has had such a drastic shrinking of the original footprint, practically half the layout has just been lopped off. Twisted Colossus could have been epic, the best racing coaster ever made, but instead it's like it got shrunk in the wash. You're left with a very cool, but very, very short racing coaster, and the only justification is you get to do both sides without getting off.

So you get thirty seconds of ride (that just goes in a circle, I might add), then a second lift hill, then another thirty second variation of what you just experienced. Sorry but if there's one thing I hate, it's pace-killing mid-run lift hills. Beast gets away with it because it's buried in the woods, it takes you on a massive journey and you have no idea what to expect (at least your first time). Not the case here. I would take any of the other RMC remakes over this, Wicked Cyclone included.

Ugh. I just have to rant about this...

I lived most of my life with one ten minutes away from my house. I didn't dislike it, but I never understood why people went crazy for it. The burgers are not that amazing. They are "ok" at best. Shake Shack, Five Guys, Burger 21, The Counter all have better burgers.

But I guess there isn't any bragging rights at those restaurants, are there? The awful pretentiousness of your average southern Californian "I'm better than you because I live here" a$$hat was one of the main reasons I had to get away from that terrible state.

/end rant

--Robb "I'd rather go to White Castle." Alvey

I agree, everytime I pass by an In and Out it befuddles me why the line is always down the block. Their food isnt BAD by any stretch, it just isnt special. Much rather have Five Guys, The Habit, Fuddruckers, or Red Robin

I'm thinking that TC is going to be awesome ride however I'm thinking that they'll hardly ever get to do the dispatches right so that they're able to appear as if they're dueling like in the video.

Wicked Cyclone looks pretty awesome. Such a compact design it looks like it's going to be just as awesome and I'm totally liking the Wicked Cyclone logo.

^^^ While I appreciate your opinion, I don't see it that way at all. Lightning Run is the most enjoyable steel coaster I have been on in years, all 2,400ft of it. If the first half of Twisted Colossus is even close to that ride, we haven't lost anything but a lousy wooden coaster to a great one. The fact that I then get to do another 80 degree drop and more awesomeness after that, is something I could not do anywhere else in the US. Your mileage may vary, but I couldn't be more pleased with this ride, regardless if the other RMC s are better or not.

Edited by Manic Monte

Both obviously look really good but I'll go with Twisted Colossus due to all of it's uniqueness. The high-five element, almost 4 minute ride, 18 airtime moments and dueling aspect of it all seem pretty amazing. Regardless, I'm looking forward to getting on both of them next year!

^^Of course, but my fear with a longer coaster is that it would meander, and be overloaded with inversions. No thanks. One Riddler's Revenge is enough. I think what RMC did here is brilliant. If I had one complaint, it's that I'll have to suffer through days at SFMM in order to ride it.

Edited by Manic Monte

It really does come down to personal preference when it comes to these two RMCs. Just to get it out of the way, I voted Twisted Colossus mainly because it's close® to me and it really caught my attention moreso than Wicked Cyclone did (then again, they did make a BIG deal about "killing off" the old Colossus, so hype played a role). Plus, the colors give me happy pants feeling.

Though, when compared to the old iterations, I think it's safe to say that SFNE needs a new Cyclone more than SFMM needs a new Colossus. Both are welcome changes, but if I had to choose only one, I'd probably go with Cyclone. Colossus, although it was old and had ride ops made loading unbearable at times, the ride was still decent even on a bad day; Cyclone caused scoliosis, good or bad ride.

Sorry but I think the west coast folks got pretty shortchanged. No other RMC remake has had such a drastic shrinking of the original footprint, practically half the layout has just been lopped off. Twisted Colossus could have been epic, the best racing coaster ever made, but instead it's like it got shrunk in the wash. You're left with a very cool, but very, very short racing coaster, and the only justification is you get to do both sides without getting off.

Like most of their remakes, RMC has to cutoff a significant part of the ride due the fact that they're switching to polyurethane wheels on the steel track. They lose a considerable amount of energy and this limits what they can use. This is why you usually see them add some height to the ride (much like they're doing with WC). It appears they had to cutoff a significant part of layout off just so they could combine both sides together though. I'll say this, Alan Schilke gave SFMM the best design possible for what they wanted.

I'm thinking that TC is going to be awesome ride however I'm thinking that they'll hardly ever get to do the dispatches right so that they're able to appear as if they're dueling like in the video.

I feel the same way and I really hope that they can duel it. It was designed to be a dueling coaster and while I'm sure it will be awesome even if they don't duel it, why bother asking for that design if you're not going to duel it? I'm sure Alan Schilke could have came up with a design that used both tracks that was just as equally insane if not better.

I'm gonna go with Twisted Colossus mainly due to the fact that you don't have to listen to new england accents in line waiting for it.

This statement is just ignorant, every New Englander doesn't have that accent which is mostly native to the Boston area and some parts of RI and the park is on the CT border Springfield, MA area where no such accents exist and in all my years of going to this park have I heard this accent routinely while at the park. If you like TC more than WC or because it's closer fine, but come on.

Uhmmmm....I'm pretty sure he was being facetious.

I like the look of Wicked Cyclone's layout looks a lot better than Twisted Colossus' oval. Stats don't make a better coaster (especially for me), it's how fun the layout is that'll give whichever one the upper hand. It's always weird to me when people rely purely on stats to judge what's going to be a better coaster, and stick with that without having ridden it/them. Apart from all of that, though, I think they're both equal for what each provides.