TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is it that I love about going upside down so much?

So, I know that many coaster enthusiasts like airtime more than inversions and pretty much any element. But I gotta be honest, I love them both pretty much equally! There's just a real thrill that I seem to get out of going upside down. It feels amazing to me when inverting and actually feeling pinned to your seat by the G's. Airtime is one of those things that I do really enjoy as well but I feel I can get more places, like a swing set. But for this reason I do really like zero G rolls, although classic vertical loops are my favorite. I also like Cobra rolls, Inclimens, and horse shoes (or whatever they're called). Just, it always seems unique to me being upside down like that and you don't feel the same way being upside down anywhere else.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should visit SFMM! Most inversions of any park in the world!

Well, I don't think I can go to California for awhile unless my cousin decides that she actually wants to live there. Or if she is nice and lets me go with her there when she visits her friends. But I really wanna go there!

Edited by TheHalonSystem

I'm a bit like you. I feel that I enjoy inversions more than most people here. Between those and floater air I will always go for inversions. Like you said, I love the feeling of being upside down and still being pushed against the seat as, sometimes, it almost feels like the rest of the world is upside down and not you. That's why I'm not a big fan of hangtime, because it doesn't feel "special" or "weird" in any way. I enjoy an occasional heartline roll but that's it (not a fan of loops with negatives). I think the fact that many times inversions come with a relatively forceful layout also helps.

This is why I enjoy rides like bizarro (SFGAdv) more than most people (even though it's not very forceful). Hey, my favourite ride goes upside down 8 items, so..

I'm a bit like you. I feel that I enjoy inversions more than most people here. Between those and floater air I will always go for inversions. Like you said, I love the feeling of being upside down and still being pushed against the seat as, sometimes, it almost feels like the rest of the world is upside down and not you. That's why I'm not a big fan of hangtime, because it doesn't feel "special" or "weird" in any way. I enjoy an occasional heartline roll but that's it (not a fan of loops with negatives). I think the fact that many times inversions come with a relatively forceful layout also helps.

This is why I enjoy rides like bizarro (SFGAdv) more than most people (even though it's not very forceful). Hey, my favourite ride goes upside down 8 items, so..

Is your favorite ride Dragon Khan?

I too think that inversions are underrated elements. Yeah, airtime is a lot of fun, but the feeling of being upside down is also quite interesting. Some inversions are really forceful, like good vertical loops. My favorite inversion of all time has to be Goliath's zero-G stall because it has great hangtime, and hanging upside-down without OTSRs is just very strange.

I too think that inversions are underrated elements. Yeah, airtime is a lot of fun, but the feeling of being upside down is also quite interesting. Some inversions are really forceful, like good vertical loops. My favorite inversion of all time has to be Goliath's zero-G stall because it has great hangtime, and hanging upside-down without OTSRs is just very strange.

I've never ridden a coaster that went upside down without OSTR's. But I will (hopefully) be going to Six Flags Great America in October for Frightfest. Goliath looks like a sweet ride which is why I'm going.

Hangime is the best!

I really like cobra rolls. Even the ones which have a snap (like raptor).

I've never ridden a coaster that went upside down without OSTR's. But I will (hopefully) be going to Six Flags Great America in October for Frightfest. Goliath looks like a sweet ride which is why I'm going.

Hangime is the best!

I've only ridden one coaster with inversions (well, one) and lap bars: sooperdooperlooper. In two weeks I'll be going to Madrid and I'll ride another (Abismo at Parque De Atracciones de Madrid).

Yes! It's B&M at their best. The ride is reasonably forceful, fairly long and has a lot of inversions without being repetitive whatsoever. Plus the zero g roll is the best I've ever tried: it's very fast yet it does really provide weightlessness which some of the others I've tried failed to do. If you haven't ridden it, it should be like Kumba (which I sadly haven't been on yet).

Hangime is the best!

I've only ridden one coaster with inversions (well, one) and lap bars: sooperdooperlooper. In two weeks I'll be going to Madrid and I'll ride another (Abismo at Parque De Atracciones de Madrid).

Yes! It's B&M at their best. The ride is reasonably forceful, fairly long and has a lot of inversions without being repetitive whatsoever. Plus the zero g roll is the best I've ever tried: it's very fast yet it does really provide weightlessness which some of the others I've tried failed to do. If you haven't ridden it, it should be like Kumba (which I sadly haven't been on yet).

Well, the ones with loops and lap bars that I have a chance of riding would be Goliath at SFGAm, Flight of Fear at KI, Dare Devil Dive at SFOG as well as Mind bender, and Scorpion at BGTB, all those parks I have plans on going to soon. Also, I haven't ridden Kumba yet but I have a wayyyy better chance of going to Busch gardens here in my home state Florida, then all the way in another country (Spain). I do hear that Kumba is rough though.

^I think people complain about it for the same reason they complain about Maverick. It's so forceful and sudden that it tends to be seen as rough when in reality it's just snappy, and actually very well engineered.

I mainly hear it from shorter people on Maverick. I'm 6, 1 so I don't really have a problem there. That's actually my no 1 coaster!

I like those old school forceful loops, hang time aren't really my thing. Lap bar or OTSR's doesn't matter that much as long as the train doesn't bounce vertically.

Well, as I've gotten taller, I'm starting to realize that OSTR's are starting to kill some rides simply because they kill my shoulders.

Well, the ones with loops and lap bars that I have a chance of riding would be Goliath at SFGAm, Flight of Fear at KI, Dare Devil Dive at SFOG as well as Mind bender, and Scorpion at BGTB, all those parks I have plans on going to soon. Also, I haven't ridden Kumba yet but I have a wayyyy better chance of going to Busch gardens here in my home state Florida, then all the way in another country (Spain). I do hear that Kumba is rough though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kumba is rough now (it was awesome when I rode it like 15 years ago though), even Alpengeist that was mentioned above is kinda rough now IMO (I think it being so forceful does it no favours). Scorpion is fun though! some helix and loop action which are my favourites. I really don't like cobra elements.

I was really stoked to hear about the 5000 loops in a row in that the onion article

We rode Kumba earlier this year and it couldn't have been smoother. I'm still blown away by how amazing that ride is... It's a top 5 for me (out of about 230). If you love inversions then Kumba is your dream coaster... especially in the magic seat. That zero g roll on Kumba is my favorite inversion on any coaster.

The cobra roll on alpengeist is one of my favorite elements for that reason. The intense forces combined with the twisting and inverting is so disorienting and thrilling.

I've heard many people complain about the cobra roll on that ride. This is a first.

I agree that Alpengeist's cobra roll is a great element. It's amazingly snappy. The only Cobra roll I like better is Kumba's.

We rode Kumba earlier this year and it couldn't have been smoother. I'm still blown away by how amazing that ride is... It's a top 5 for me (out of about 230). If you love inversions then Kumba is your dream coaster... especially in the magic seat. That zero g roll on Kumba is my favorite inversion on any coaster.

That's good news to me, I may have to make a trip down there soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kumba is rough now (it was awesome when I rode it like 15 years ago though), even Alpengeist that was mentioned above is kinda rough now IMO (I think it being so forceful does it no favours). Scorpion is fun though! some helix and loop action which are my favourites. I really don't like cobra elements.

I was really stoked to hear about the 5000 loops in a row in that the onion article

Kumba has been around for awhile though it Is a B&M. I rode the Incredible hulk roller coaster last week and it is getting slightly rattle, especially in the back, which to me makes it more intense but I know many people 9like my boyfriend who's much shorter than me and has the head banging problem) don't enjoy it as much but we actually found Dragon Challenge worse. And that's the same age as hulk but man it's getting jerky!

We rode Kumba earlier this year and it couldn't have been smoother. I'm still blown away by how amazing that ride is... It's a top 5 for me (out of about 230)and If you love inversions then Kumba is your dream coaster... especially in the magic seat. That zero g roll on Kumba is my favorite inversion on any coaster.

The cobra roll on alpengeist is one of my favorite elements for that reason. The intense forces combined with the twisting and inverting is so disorienting and thrilling.

I've heard many people complain about the cobra roll on that ride. This is a first.

I agree that Alpengeist's cobra roll is a great element. It's amazingly snappy. The only Cobra roll I like better is Kumba's.

Well, I can't wait to go to Busch gardens Tampa next summer. I've ridden hulk which is kinda similar except different layout and it has a launch and I do really enjoy the zero G and the cobra roll on that coaster (I also love the vertical loops and Horse shoe or whatever that inversion is after the MCBR). So I bet I'd like Kumba! Generally rough coasters don't bother me as long as they don't have OSTR's, and even some that do, mainly the ones that B&M and Intamin uses, because of my height some rattling doesn't bother me like what Hulk and Maverick do and those are my two favorite coasters. But like the OSTR's that push down on me like Corkscrew (built by Arrow Dynamics) and that are just so rough like that ride, owie!