TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rollercoaster Tycoon World (RCTW) Discussion Thread

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like the peep at the end accurately described everyone's reactions.

Ditto. I also think Atari knew that'd be the fans actual reactions so they threw that in at the end.

The outcome of this game has everything to do with the fact that Pipeworks Software was pulled from the project and replaced with Area 52 Games.

Alright, I'll be the adult figure in the thread.

First off, I saw the trailer and of course I was disappointed with it.....that being said; if you remember other times this has happened, developers seem to show the older footage first, then show the new footage.

Also if you look at Stream and watch the trailer, you'll see it's thumbnail. And it may not be easy to see because it's a thumbnail but there is a UI in there and the graphics are much better compared to the trailer.

And here's the thing i've realized about the trailer.....this really isn't about the graphics here, it's really about the crazy stuff you can do with the game that's the main focus. And besides, this is only the alpha trailer, the 2nd trailer will probably be MUCH better than the one we got here.

In short: I'm not losing hope. Not by a long shot.

^^But think this through a little. Why would Atari release older footage in the first place? Just, why? The purpose of a trailer is to get consumers excited about a game, and all this does is pretty much destroy all hope for RCTW.

The trailer is basically expectation vs. reality. They show some beautiful POV footage of Goliath at Magic Mountain, and then some strange, crappy TOGO track or something.

Oh, and the system requirements for this game? At least four gigs of ram, ten gigs of storage, an Intel i5 processor, and Windows 7, all for a game that looks like it came from 2004. And those are just minimum specs. Want the "best graphics"? Eight gigs of ram! An Intel i7 processor! Wow!

Unless some new gameplay footage is released, there's no hope. RCTW will be released in a few months, and if this keeps up, it will be the worst game in the franchise. This is a simulator, which should have at lest decent graphics, but this is crap.

EDIT: Found this image on the Atari forums. Why is there such a shift between then and now? Just, why?

The early screenshots were promising but this was disappointing. Even after polishing up the rough edges, I can't see these graphics looking decent. The current game (with its real-life coaster styles and endless supply of user created content) looks infinitely better.

I don't play RCT3 anymore, and this wont bring me back to the franchise. Parkitect is shaping up to be a nice tycoon game, and we'll see what Frontier brings to the table (hopefully something more realistic).

TPS is a great game for designing coasters and small parks, it just doesn't have the huge amount of custom content to really make it shine.

This actually looks worse than Theme Park World... that at least had a sense of itself. The developers must have said to each other 'Let's just plop everything we've got so far onto a big flat area and make a video! They'll love it!'

It's like when you watch your friend who doesn't know or care one bit about theme parks or roller coasters play Rollercoaster Tycoon for the 1st time, and make the worst monstrosity of a park you've ever seen.

And I bet you the next blog post will thank us for our overwhelmingly positive feedback to the trailer. I don't usually complain about things like this but it's just the fact that they're using the Rollercoaster Tycoon name! They're desecrating it!

Alright, I'll be the adult figure in the thread.

You, the adult figure? It is to laugh!

I'm terribly sorry, but your princess is in an...I mean the majority of the internet disagrees with your opinion.

http://kotaku.com/new-rollercoaster-tycoon-game-looks-like-shit-1689731858

www.reddit.com/r/rct/comments/2y1dix/discussionmeta_roller_coaster_tycoon_world/

Whether you're a coaster nerd or not, a bad video game is a bad video game. The linked discussions - gaming websites, communities and series fans - are the kinds of places where this game is going to get the most publicity. Nearly every kind of publicity that this game has gotten as a result of this trailer has been absolutely horrible.

Oh, and for the record, Theme Park World and Theme Park Inc are the closest that anyone outside of Chris Sawyer has gotten to capturing the magic of the RollerCoaster Tycoon Series.

Edited by A.J.

Idk.. I'm starting to think Atari is doing this on purpose... making bad RCT titles just to make fans mad, and bring their company reputation lower than what it already is... I still want to see gameplay and reviews, but I won't be "rushing out to buy a copy" like Atari suggested when taking our suggestions for a new RCT installment for PC.

I'm starting to think Atari is doing this on purpose... making bad RCT titles just to make fans mad

I agree... this is actually their mission statement displayed proudly on the wall as soon as you walk into their corporate headquarters.

Or more likely they're trying to make a game that doesn't suck and they either don't have the ability or more likely the budget to do so. Either way this game sucks but didn't we all expect this? RCT2 is already awesome, we don't need a new coaster game.

I second all of the people who have reacted the same way the VIP peep did at the end of the video. I would have preferred a revamped version of RCT3 even with it's gridlocked design over this.

It looks, dare I say, tacky and undeveloped? Not convinced at all.

The thing that's mostly concerning me about RCTW are the system specs. The fact that you need a fairly beefy system to run something that looks like a somewhat minor graphical upgrade/downgrade to RCT3 (depending on the part of the trailer you look at) seems to suggest this thing is optimized way worse than RCT3, which is already a poorly optimized game.

I'm starting to think Atari is doing this on purpose... making bad RCT titles just to make fans mad

I agree... this is actually their mission statement displayed proudly on the wall as soon as you walk into their corporate headquarters.

Or more likely they're trying to make a game that doesn't suck and they either don't have the ability or more likely the budget to do so. Either way this game sucks but didn't we all expect this? RCT2 is already awesome, we don't need a new coaster game.

If they can't do it right, they shouldn't do it at all. Period.

Also... I'm not one to swear, but... WTF?

If this is legit, this means something is seriously wrong with Atari.

Guys, I got an update.

We will be posting a blog early next week about the status of the game and our plans. Until then you should know that we will not release a game that is not ready and are taking the time to do it right. I would also like to add that the teaser trailer was designed to show progress of the game but is not fully representative of the final game. For example, visually there is a lot of work left to do. It is as many have suspected from an early build, which we will provide more details on next week

Now I have been doing a bit of research in the RCT Forums and I asked on if the trailer was a alpha. This was the reply.

We will be answering that in our blog where we have the ability to give more details. That said as many have noticed the release date is now set to Mid-2015 (as seen on Steam) and as I mentioned we won't release something that is not ready. The game needs the proper time to be done right. We have a quality and visual goal to meet and we aren't there yet but we have exciting news on our next blog that we can finally share that will help us get there.

We love our community and their passion is the reason this game is going to be great when it finally comes out. The bar is high and we need to meet it.

We thank everyone for the feedback, the debates, and hope they continue but also know that early next week we will have a full post about the game, the status of it, and more info on where the teaser came from.

I think there may be hope yet for this game. But I guess we'd best cross our fingers and hope for the best.

If those statements are legit, they're idiots.

Why would you show a trailer of a game that is not finished, act so proud of it, and then after the internet and billions of RCT fans bash it, you turn around and say "Oh we know it looks bad, but it's not done yet. There's more we have to reveal."

Bull. They need to fire the chimps who work in the marketing department of the company. They obviously are clueless morons with less than half a brain.

I can now confirm that the teaser was indeed from an early build.

I will add that the teaser is indeed from an early build and the reason for it will be explained in our post. There has been a lot of work done on other aspects of the game before visuals, details in the post...

Our goal is to have amazing gameplay (which a key aspect that sets the foundation for a fun game) and has been our current focus but yes of course hi-res amazing visuals are critical as well and we will have those too once we are ready.

But you have to think, if they knew that the visuals in the trailer are not representative of the final product and that they are way past that point in development.... why even release that trailer at all??? Even if they are telling the truth and the actual game right now looks way better than that trailer, they have still caused so much bad press with fans (like me) that I can't see what there was to gain from it!

But you have to think, if they knew that the visuals in the trailer are not representative of the final product and that they are way past that point in development.... why even release that trailer at all??? Even if they are telling the truth and the actual game right now looks way better than that trailer, they have still caused so much bad press with fans (like me) that I can't see what there was to gain from it!

Yeah, I have to admit, that was pretty stupid of them to do so.