Rollercoaster Tycoon World (RCTW) Discussion Thread

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog Post #2

Dear RCTW Fans,

Hello RollerCoaster Tycoons! As many of you know from my last post, I’m Mattlab, Atari’s Executive Producer on RollerCoaster Tycoon World. Two weeks have gone by, lots of progress has been made on the game, our marketing efforts are ramping up, and it’s time for another production blog post!

As promised, today we’ll be talking about the second of our four main foundations for the RCT franchise: Building. But before I get into the many great things you can build, how you can place them, and tease other amazing innovations we have been able to implement in RCTW, I wanted to take a second to talk to our fantastic supporters from our forums. It has been an absolute pleasure interacting with you, and I, along with the entire RCTW team, hope to make more time to chat. Not only will we make sure to continue posting on the forums, but together with our community team we plan to have live stream sessions where fans will be able to interact with the team in real time! We’ll have more on that later.

Additionally, I do want to say that our design team is in the forums every day. They spend a considerable amount of time reading your suggestions and feedback. Unfortunately, though, as they are super busy making the game, they often can’t respond to each suggestion, but please be assured that they are there reading your thoughts, and tweaking the game based on what they see. We are making the game the community wants, and we are committed to delivering the REAL RollerCoaster Tycoon experience.

Now onto the main event…

The Second Foundation of the Franchise: Building

The Building foundation makes up one of the most complex pieces of the game, so we want to make sure we get it right. Not only do we want to provide new features, we want to make sure that the ones from previous versions of the game are vastly improved and updated.

It all starts with the huge variety of park elements that you can build. There is more to choose from than ever before. In fact, each time I play the game I discover a new ride, scenery object, or coaster type that I did not see last time I played! Not only is there a great variety of objects, we have also added new elements that did not exist before.

With our first new element, restaurants, your peeps now have a place to sit down if they need to relax and enjoy a nice meal. This provides an entire new feature to the simulation of the game and creates an interesting new dynamic, for you as a builder, to consider. Do you want your peeps to simply grab a quick cheap bite to eat at a foodstand or is this the right place to build an expensive restaurant. We have made sure to really do this feature justice and create a number of new restaurants for you to build.

Attractions on the other hand, another new element, are the opposite of a calm, relaxing environment. Once your peeps are done dining they can wander over to this new ride type. Attractions are what we commonly refer to as “indoor rides”. We know that previous games had haunted houses and other indoor-themed rides, but we feel so excited about the attractions we’re building in RCTW that we wanted to make this its own category. Now your peeps can enjoy a game of lazer tag or any number of other exciting diversions! Its an entire new category of ride and we can’t wait to share the list of them in future updates.

In addition to having more building options, we are also making sure that all of our in game objects fall into one of four unified themes: Western, Space, Americana, and Pirate. This way you have more than enough things in each theme to build parks that truly look unique and exhilarating! Your peeps can visit a pirate-filled treasure island or perhaps have a cowboy adventure in the Wild West. Whether you build an entire single themed park or mix and match, your peeps will never want to leave! Each theme is completely thought through from start to finish providing a full experience for your peeps.

But its not all about the peeps – the builder, namely you, matter too! So the rides, objects, and coasters in the game are more detailed than ever before. Of course, everything is hi-res and we’ve packed objects and rides with tons of animations to give your creations a real authentic feel. We have taken full advantage of today’s next-gen technology to make sure that the game is more detailed than ever before. I don’t want to spoil the surprise but its amazing to see how things come to life from the moment you place down your first ride to the time a peep gets on and rides it. Additionally, the new scenery animatronics we have in the game add an immersive and beautiful element that your peeps will enjoy as they plan their next park adventure. The attention to and level of detail in RCTW’s art and animations is unprecedented in the history of the franchise.

The tool used to build everything is easy and powerful as well. Placing and rotating buildings could not be simpler. Easily find exactly the theme and type of object you want to build and plop it down in your park. Paths are simply painted on, lowering the number of clicks required, and everything works seamlessly together with our immersive camera to allow you to be fully in-control of what you are making. Don’t like what you just built? Then move it without needing to bulldoze it! It’s just that easy.

So, we have a ton of new rides, a variety of new park elements, and they all look beautiful. But it wouldn’t be RollerCoaster Tycoon without… Coasters! And luckily, RCTW is jam-packed with new coasters to build! The coaster system is in fact so detailed and has so many new surprises that we feel it deserves its own post and so it will be the focus of part two of the Building foundation dev blog – see ‘next time’ below.

Next Time:

Our next post will focus on coasters – something a lot of our fans have asked about in our forums. We have so much information to share and questions to answer that we felt it needs its own blog post. Additionally, we plan to use that post to announce some exciting developments regarding the grid as its related to coasters that we know fans are going to love. We strongly feel, with the innovations we have made to the coaster and building system, that if you can dream it then you will be able to build it in RollerCoaster Tycoon World!

But Wait, There’s More:

Instead of a screenshot this week, I am happy to take this opportunity to show off one of the pieces of wonderful key art we made to help inspire us all for RCTW. This was partially created using actual scenery and ride models from RollerCoaster Tycoon World and shows off some of the amazing things you will get to build in the game. We love it and are excited to finally be able to share it! Enjoy!

RollerCoaster Tycoon World Key Art

Key Art from RollerCoaster Tycoon World.

Best,

Mattlab

Executive Producer – Atari

Team RCTW

Is that actually comprised of actual models? The Intamin looks quite smooth, and the Vekoma SLC looks decent. Probably just a rendering with random objects, but it's a good one.

Great, actual restaurants will be in the game. No more having to browse through cumbersome CS sets to try and mimic one! The new indoor rides category doesn't seem that significant, but at least it's there. RCTW is looking pretty darn good so far, and I can't wait to see the finished result!

I'm a bit conflicted still, I feel like this is still just RCT3 with better graphics. I really don't feel they're showing us much revolution of the franchise so far. Out of the thousands of ideas thrown out there by fans, you would think some would come fruition. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Things that really really bother me about that recent in-game photo:

1. The cars wheels intersect the track

2. there are no upstop wheels

3. The guests arms are not below the shoulder restraints

4. The supports in the background are god awful

5. each car seats 2 guest as opposed to the 2 row alignment of a standard Arrow car (which I'm assuming is the style they are basing it off of)

6. More goofy food stalls

7. No curvature in the paths

Decent Things:

1. shadows

2. foliage

So they messed up something as basic as a corkscrew coaster. At least get the car designs right! There's also those same, wacky food stalls. At least have a generic one if you are still having stalls in the game. I'd just stick with building restaurants.

However, the peeps certainly look more realistic. Cartoonish, but better than the polygon-ish RCT3 peeps. The shaders look awesome, and I really like that blur effect. Sure, this isn't official. However, if at least the coasters are executed nicely, I'm sold. I need that next developer blog!

Wacky food stalls have been a staple of the series since it started. As long as there's a custom stall option like in RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, what seems to be the problem here?

But I totally agree about the coaster cars though. Even RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 got the cars reasonably correct.

EDIT: Actually, are we SURE that's entirely an in-game screenshot? The coaster in the foreground and background has the lavender track with red rails, while the one with the cars on it has blue rails. The blue one with the weird cars looks 'shopped.

Edited by A.J.

Wacky food stalls have been a staple of the series since it started. As long as there's a custom stall option like in RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, what seems to be the problem here?

But I totally agree about the coaster cars though. Even RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 got the cars reasonably correct.

EDIT: Actually, are we SURE that's entirely an in-game screenshot? The coaster in the foreground and background has the lavender track with red rails, while the one with the cars on it has blue rails. The blue one with the weird cars looks 'shopped.

It's not officially released. It was posted on the "Unoffical RctW" Facebook page

RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog Post #3

Dear RCTW Tycoons,

What a crazy week it has been here at Atari HQ. We are earnestly involved in prep for GDC, the show that kicks off the convention season for us, and so things have really started to ramp up in intensity. Team RollerCoaster Tycoon World is busy working on the game as well as filming some amazing footage that we hope to feature soon. It will be straight from the game so you can see the awesome product we have been working on and get as excited as we are about it.

Building – Part 2 – Coasters:

In my last post, I spoke about the first half of the Building foundation, highlighting some of the tools you will have at your disposal and the great variety of buildings, themes, and detail we are putting into the game. Now it is time to talk about what is arguably the main attraction – Coasters!

What you can build:

RCTW is jam-packed with new coasters to build! We have three main track types: Steel, Wooden, and Hanging. These are your raw materials rather than entire coasters like in the previous games. With those three types of tracks you will be able to create a number of different coasters, as each track type has an enormous amount of varying coaster cars associated with it – this gives the flexibility of selecting a base coaster track type and then essentially specializing how the coaster will look based on the car. These cars add a tremendous amount of variety to the coaster system, giving you the freedom to build the coaster that looks the way you want! The number of combinations are enormous and will ensure that everyone’s park looks unique!

How you can build them:

A question we receive often is, how will players place and build these amazing new coasters? The answer is a really exciting one for us. The team has spent an incredible amount of time building an entirely new coaster editor from the ground up. The first thing we did was create an all-3D-based coaster building tool and converted all of our coasters to be fully spline-based. This means that each track now has a “node” on either end that allows you to manipulate it in 3D space! Thus instead of being limited only to pre-built tracks like in the previous games (although we have those too), in RCTW you can truly design and build the coaster of your dreams – in any direction! Note that before locking down this feature, we will share it with the community so you can provide feedback and make it even better! It is, in our opinion, one of the most difficult yet important things to get right in the game, and we want your feedback on it once it’s ready to be shared.

Our next innovation concerning the coaster editor, was to throw out the notion of “grid based coaster building” altogether. For the first time ever in the history of the franchise you will be able to build freeform coasters. Although the ground will still feature a grid, it is simply there to help place park elements where you want them. This combined with our new 3D coaster editor makes it as easy as dreaming something and then simply drawing it in the game in the air with your mouse – it’s really incredible. While your coaster station, something we consider a park element, still needs to be placed at 90 degree angles, the game no longer forces the coaster tracks themselves to conform to the grid below and will automatically place pylons where needed to support it. So if you want to place that corkscrew at some odd angle because you think it will increase the excitement rating of your ride, you can! It’s a super cool feature that we’re really proud of. It’s now up to your imagination.

Additionally, since we know not ALL of our fans will want to use the fully 3D freeform compliant building system, as mentioned before, our coaster editor will also include tools that will allow you to place standard tracks and pre-built special pieces, similar to previous RCT games. This makes our new tool easy to use and accessible to all but gives “power players” the ability to create something truly special and unique – something we think that will become very important when certain planned post launch feature updates are added. Additionally, switching between the two modes is seamless and done on the fly.

Architect mode:

Another important improvement to our coaster tool is that now you no longer pay for pieces the moment you put them down. We have created what we are calling an ‘architect mode’. This allows you to layout and place an entire coaster before building it. This way you don’t need to worry about mistakes, or how well your park is doing financially, and can simply enjoy the process of building an amazing coaster. It’s like we took the sandbox coaster editor and placed it right into your live park, eliminating the need to switch between the two.

Playing with the coaster editor on a daily basis, I must say, it’s awesome. I’m able to build coasters that were simply not possible in any previous iteration of RCT. Once you combine it with our brush-based terrain tool you really do get the ability to make some phenomenal layouts.

Building in RCTW unlocks the power of 3D and freeform design while keeping it accessible for all. We cannot wait to see what fans create with these powerful new tools, rides, and objects. We can’t even fathom the possibilities!

Selection of Fan Questions About Coasters:

I would like to also take the time to answer a few selected fan questions that I have seen on the forums recently concerning coasters.

Will there be coaster destruction or the possibility for “mishaps”?

In short, yes! Be careful not to build something too crazy or your peeps might have a rough time staying in their seats as the coaster goes around that bend…

Are there different coaster loading stations – what do they look like?

Carrying the idea of theming through, we have stations and cars that fit into our 4 main themes for the game. You now have a variety of different loading stations to choose from and can even match them to a theme – same for the coaster cars.

Will tracks and coaster cars have the ability to have their colors changed?

Yes, however, at launch it will be the entire track or the entire car rather than individual pieces.

What about length, height, and speed restrictions on coasters?

We will have some soft limits in place simply based on the needs of the game engine (of course) but essentially you are able to design the coaster any way you want and certain designs could cause your coaster to not be suitable for what I would call “safe riding” – what you make for your peeps is up to you. That’s the beauty of a 3D coaster building tool.

Will there be pre-built coasters not just pieces?

Yes! Our awesome design team is busy creating some truly fantastic pre-built coasters for you to place in your park.

Can you ride coasters?

Yes, and more about that in our upcoming foundation blog on “Playing”.

A Word About Custom Scenery in RCTW:

We noticed a number of fans asking about custom scenery and whether or not there will be any in RCTW. The answer is a complicated one, as it can be divided into two categories. In one category, you have the ability to take pieces of buildings (roofs, walls, floors, etc.) and place them within the game to create new objects and scenery. The second is the ability to create your own textures and objects outside of the game and import them in. We really want both but we will not have enough time to finish implementation before launch. We will instead be providing them as a free updates to all players once the features are ready. Additionally, there is a heavy dependence on a special feature from one of our partners and, without giving too much away, we think it will change the longevity of the game dramatically by really giving people even more of a reason to build amazing things on their own and share them with the world than ever before. We know how important this is to our most dedicated fans.

RCTW - Barnyard Basher - Atari

Give your peeps the ultimate thrill in the scary “Barnyard Basher” ride shown shortly before sunset in RollerCoaster Tycoon World! This ride has an exciting fire element, themed around a burning barn, that raises the thrill your peeps feel as they swing high above it.

Next Time:

We know fans have more questions and we have more blogs to post. So stay tuned and see you on the forums! Join them today!

Best,

Mattlab

Executive Producer – Atari

Team RCTW

We have three main track types: Steel, Wooden, and Hanging. These are your raw materials rather than entire coasters like in the previous games. With those three types of tracks you will be able to create a number of different coasters, as each track type has an enormous amount of varying coaster cars associated with it – this gives the flexibility of selecting a base coaster track type and then essentially specializing how the coaster will look based on the car.

Aaaaaaand I stopped reading.

Don't think I'll be buying this.

Wow.

A quote from the blog post talking about track types:

this gives the flexibility of selecting a base coaster track type and then essentially specializing how the coaster will look based on the car.

If I were to bet, the track style will change depending on what car you select. So if you want to build a hyper coaster, the track style will change to the style needed to use that vehicle. It sounds like it streamlines the process a little. It honestly confused me as well for a second, but I hope I am interpreting this correctly.

I'm out.

Thank god there's hope with Frontier's Coaster Park Tycoon!

Gosh that barn ride with the raging fire around it is DREADful. It really tells me that they're clueless! It's such a pity because that coaster designer sounds like what I've been waiting for in an RCT game.

Honestly, the lack of important features "at launch" is what's making me start to walk away. I'm getting sick and tired of that crap from the major publishers such as Atari, Activision and the like... I'd rather have the whole game delayed than only half a game at launch.

Edited by A.J.