TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rollercoaster Tycoon World (RCTW) Discussion Thread

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I have, and succeeded, but nolimits has nothing to do with it. The construction system here is terrible. I would've preffered Nolimits' system far better. If it's gonna be hard as hell to master, might as well get good results out of it.

I made a coaster that ended up looking pretty great and realistic but building it was an absolute nightmare and it was REALLY hard getting good results.

2015-10-31_00001.jpg

2015-10-31_00003.jpg

2015-10-31_00004.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Tycoons,

We know it’s been quite some time since our last blog. We needed time to finalize some features and decisions on our end before being able to provide you with our biggest news yet – the street date. Thank you for your patience.

We now are happy to announce that RollerCoaster Tycoon World will be available this Wednesday, March 30 via Steam Early Access.

It’s been a long ride, with all the ups and downs that you would expect from a roller coaster-obsessed team. We cannot tell you how excited, and humbled, we are to finally open the doors and deliver this early version of RCTW to you all.

Why Early Access?

As some of you may have guessed, we’ve been silently running a large test group with some members of the community since the beginning of the year. We’ve made so much progress with this group – getting invaluable feedback, testing ideas, and more – that we realized how much of a boon letting the rest of the community in would be in shaping our game. We cannot thank this group enough for their passion for the franchise and their contribution to the game, and for inspiring us to let the rest of you into the world of RCTW.

We also want to thank our developer, Nvizzio, and the QA team, who have been working tirelessly on this project. The Early Access version of RCTW includes a ton of content and we hope you will greatly appreciate the progress that we have made since our last public Beta.

This is the beginning of a new journey. RCTW was always going to develop and improve as time went on. Now you will have a direct impact on that process. It is only with your feedback, your input, your passion, and your creativity that we will bring the game to new heights.

What comes next?

Our planned feature list is HUGE! Here’s a sneak peek at a few of the FREE updates to look forward to in the coming months:

Piece-by-Piece Custom Built Structures

Scenario Editor

Mini-rides and Dark Rides

Additional scenarios

Transport Rides

Fence Builder

New and expanded decoration themes

Additional Flat-rides

Weather

Custom music

New Rollercoaster types

We will of course also be working on performance and user experience improvements, graphics updates, major as-yet-unannounced functionalities, and improving the base game in coordination with you all.

Launch Timing and Refunds

We will be in Early Access until we all feel the game is ready to be shared with the world as a finished product. Yes, there really is much more work we want to do. This isn’t about just improving and polishing but also adding new functionalities that the game needs. As Early Access progresses our timeline for final release will become clearer.

We know this is not what some of you may have expected. Thus, we are reaffirming our refund policy – we allow refunds up to March 31st 2016 to anyone that pre-ordered the game through Atari.com or RollerCoasterTycoon.com. This gives you a day to try Early Access, no strings attached. If you pre-ordered via Steam or another retailer, they will be able to facilitate refunds as needed.

There's much more on the blog, I just left in information that I felt would be more important, as well as a question that was raised some pages ago.

On one hand, the list of released features seems limited as hell. I mean, piece by piece customizable buildings aren't even gonna be there on release?! Whaaaaaaat?! It seems like the stuff that ISN'T on that list stands out more than the stuff that is! And 10 coaster types is nothing.

On the other hand, I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt in thinking that this, in large part, is due to them spending time they were going to work on other features to fix the horrible coaster building system. Which HAS been given treatment in the form of "piece by piece" construction now being avaliable alongside the previous construction mode. Something they'd only do if they were reading and taking to mind the feedback from the beta testers.

Also, they said they will release some of that other basic stuff in later, free updates. Which isn't ideal but it's certainly better than "Meh. like it or lump it."

On the third hand, we don't know if they actually even TOUCHED the actual spline-based construction system, and if it hasn't been improved, I'm not sure if having piece by piece construction will really even matter. Also, no second beta weekend? Laaaame!

On the fourth hand (Did somebody say Vishnu?) the whole "Listen, we know you guys might be unhappy about this so we decided to let everyone who preordered this get a refund if they want, even up to a full day after it's release" is a pretty cool and fair thing to do, which, granted, they SHOULD've done, but they by no means HAD to. So kudos to them.

Even though I was itching for a refund a few posts ago, I'm gonna wait for the release day to make my final judgment on it. After all, even if it's imperfect (and lord knows it will be, I mean, no water rides? Whaaaat?), I'm still gonna need something to play until Planet Coaster comes out...

Damn though, it just seems to show that the devs don't even care about the game.

To tell you the truth, I think that Nvissio does care a lot, and given the actual amount of time they had to work on the project, the difficult task at hand and the probably limited funding the project has from Atari...I think they have done well so far.

The decision to postpone the launch, put this back in the oven to bake and involve the community in the development process via the Early Access program is in my opinion the best scenario that we could have now, given the circumstances.

A question. When was this screenshot taken?

I guess the guests don't have to sit in their seats...

Damn though, it just seems to show that the devs don't even care about the game.

I heard that the customization options are so deep that we can splice a B&M hyper train with TOGO's stand-up bike seats, and then host coaster events where enthusiasts can leave the lap bars up for serious .

A question. When was this screenshot taken?

From the latest "Dev Video" they released almost two weeks ago via their Facebook, and immediately taken down after tons of negative comments flooded in. The coaster was called "Canyon Runner" I believe. You can find the video on YouTube still.

This game is still a joke to me... and it seems to be a joke to Atari as well. If funding is a problem, why try to make it in the first place? Pipeworks was dumped by Atari because they were using too much money to make RCTW, Area 52 just sucked, and now NVizzio seems tot be having the same roadblock Pipeworks faced. Atari should just sell the RCT name to Frontier, and allow them to rename Planet Coaster "RollerCoaster Tycoon 4". But that will never happen. It seems that spiritual successors can outshine the originals... at least that is what Frontier is proving.

^Okay (I hope this is okay with the admins?), I'll try streaming at these two locations, if one doesn't work, try the other (I'm starting with Picarto):

Picarto (Higher quality stream, but it's an art site. If I have trouble streaming there I might move to Twitch)

https://picarto.tv/tomixcomics

Twitch (expect lag.):

Stream will start either in 40 minutes or in an hour and 40 minutes. depending on whether steam listing the game as "releasing in 1 hour" means less than 60 minutes or more than 60 minutes.

See you there!

Edited by FLIPDUDE

I wonder if the RCTW folks are rushing their release b/c planet coaster is getting pretty good reviews.

"Rushing their release"? It was supposed to come out last year. Then half a year ago. then last december. Then Janurary. The game got pushed back more than Sysiphus's boulder

I consider myself a nice person and I know it sounds kind of terrible to say, but I'm relishing in the overwhelmingly negative response the release is getting. Rollercoaster Tycoon is maybe my favorite game of all time, and to see it get treated this way breaks my heart. I only see it fitting that the developers and Atari are being lambasted for disrespecting the franchise the way they have, and it'll only make the release of Planet Coaster all the better.*

*As long as Frontier stays the course and makes sure Planet Coaster is the game we all dream of.

I witnessed a YouTube livestream that had just ended, and everyone in the chat plus the gamer had lost all hope for it. It was sad. The guy streaming it is planning on getting a refund as well.

I feel kinda bad for Nvizzio (not the least bit for Atari). They seemed like a relatively small group of developers who at least tried to reignite the franchise and pick up what was left off of the previous developers. I don't know who was responsible for setting deadlines for this game, but it clearly wasn't enough time. Just too many negative factors had led to where it is now, let alone them not being as experienced in making coaster tycoon/simulation games.

Also, just so we're clear on what was written on the blog:

This is the beginning of a new journey. RCTW was always going to develop and improve as time went on. Now you will have a direct impact on that process. It is only with your feedback, your input, your passion, and your creativity that we will bring the game to new heights.

They are still taking in feedback, and apparently plan to develop it over time while still letting folks play it.

Already dumped the game and got refunded. It was honestly so terrible I didn't even realize until someone asked me that I never even got around to look around at the scenery pieces.

I mean, who in the WORLD makes a Rollercoaster Tycoon game that only has enough space to build ONE ROLLERCOASTER?!?!

Also, you guys should see the videos people are posting at the RCTW thread over at the planet coaster forums. The bugs in the game are so horrid that it's simulatenously horribly sad and downright hilarious.