TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rollercoaster Tycoon World (RCTW) Discussion Thread

Atari is listening the community, but it comes off like children barking directions at a substitute bus driver who doesn't know the neighborhood and keeps making wrong turns.

With a tough coaster editor, strange physics, difficulty in finding the right identity & tone, competition from Frontier, and big delays, this game has become gum stuck in Atari's hair. I've had serious doubts about many aspects of this game and its development for a long time (still do), but I didn't mind those flat rides. I look around social media and a lot of people are saying that those flats look pretty good. The physics aren't perfect, but I think the lighting is very nice and shows a flair for detail that an enthusiast would appreciate.

Still, it looks to me like community trust in Atari has seriously deteriorated. In November, some people thought that tweaking the coaster editor would be the only fix required, and now it seems like Atari can't show a shrub without triggering the community gag reflex. Hopeful players have migrated from the benefit to the doubt, especially since seeing Frontier's development on Planet Coaster.

Aside from anything Frontier has done, back when Atari showed off those high-end coaster stations and fine-textured benches, I expressed concern that the developers were misinterpreting a call for better graphics to mean many rigid "set pieces" that were pretty, yet robbed the players of the chance to be creative. That recent mosaic snapshot reinforces my doubt -- it looks like a lot of set pieces arranged to give an impression of a lot going on, but it doesn't look capable of offering depth or customization. Also, I don't know what the crest of that coaster-thing is supposed to be in the right-hand corner. Eek.

Good luck to Atari. I seriously don't root for this game to flounder, and I hope the team can pull together a competent final release.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game just needs so much work. I don't see this being anywhere near enjoyable after 3 hours if it's going to be release before the fall. There are just soooo many tiny things that I've noticed that will easily kill any longevity in the game. Full (non-customization) stations, lack of water rides, and rides available in only 2 or 3 heavily-set themes, is just a few out of the many. Ugg....! There doesn't seem to be much customization to the game besides the scenery. Not good for an Amusement Park builder/sim. The rides, coasters, and structures need the most flexibility and they are clearly lacking much, if any.

This is becoming an evermore slap-in-the-face for profit.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched video of the beta, and honestly I was very impressed with the scale of their ambition as far as the coaster creation tool. But the more I thought about it, the less sense it made. Why the heck did they try reinventing No Limits from scratch, rather than expand upon the foundation already laid by the previous RCT games? People who play RCT want to create coasters that look and run like real coasters. They don't want to spend hours tweaking a loop just to try and make it look like a real loop.

You don't need to be able to do ANYTHING to still have a powerful creative tool. Every manufacturer has basic shapes that they fall back on and use over and over. Give the player a library of those basic shapes, allow them to tweak certain aspects of them, and that's really all you need. You want a drop? Ok, here's sliders for height, steepness, radius of pull-out, etc.

I'm not saying designing this kind of system would be easy, but with the direction the design team chose, they're seriously throwing money in a pit and burning it. Their heart is in the right place but it's like they have no idea what the f*ck they're doing. It's a game. First and foremost it has to run flawlessly and be easy to pick up (while still being deep enough to keep players engaged). It really boggles me how they so thoroughly missed the mark on this.

I'm still hopeful for this game, I think there's still a chance they could end up with something awesome. Like I said, their heart is in the right place. They just need to focus their ideas and streamline, a LOT.

Just to toss my two cents in as well, one of my biggest gripes with the game currently is the flow and pacing of the ride animations. The pendulum ride has the design of a Bussink Evolution with the animation of an overpowered Loop-O-Plane. Plus the seats don't swing out or tilt back, which was what RCT3 got right with Insanity (even though Insanity directly references the Fabbri Evolution).

I know not to expect them to know the difference between the models, but I question whether they've ever looked up videos of any of the rides to tweak their animations a bit.

Edited by Midgetman82

Just to toss my two cents in as well, one of my biggest gripes with the game currently is the flow and pacing of the ride animations. The pendulum ride has the design of a Bussink Evolution with the animation of an overpowered Loop-O-Plane. Plus the seats don't swing out or tilt back, which was what RCT3 got right with Insanity (even though Insanity directly references the Fabbri Evolution).

I know not to expect them to know the difference between the models, but I question whether they've ever looked up videos of any of the rides to tweak their animations a bit.

Personally I'm willing to overlook a few wonky ride animations if the game is fun... and that's a big IF. Are people really looking for 100% accuracy and realism from RCT? Is that really the ultimate goal? I have plenty of misgivings about what we've seen so far too, but I think a lot of the complaints people have can be overlooked if the game is playable and fun.

What I really want to know more about is the management side. Are they going to introduce an off season mechanic? How about giving the player a separate "build budget" every month based off your park's profitability that you're free to spend all of, rather than everything, research/maintenance/expansion/etc. coming out of the same pot? A lot of questions here...

What I really want to know more about is the management side. Are they going to introduce an off season mechanic? How about giving the player a separate "build budget" every month based off your park's profitability that you're free to spend all of, rather than everything, research/maintenance/expansion/etc. coming out of the same pot? A lot of questions here...

It's all coming out of the same pot anyways, so why does it matter if there isn't an in-game way of dividing your cash into twelfths? Calculator.

It's all coming out of the same pot anyways, so why does it matter if there isn't an in-game way of dividing your cash into twelfths? Calculator.

Never played RCT 3, but in 1 and 2 it got mighty old having to stop building your roller coaster halfway through because the monthly bills were taken out, then building it piece by piece, waiting for just two or three more peeps to pay the park entrance fee. A set budget would make the game easier and more fun to play, and also bring the experience a little closer to how parks are actually run.

Also I have no idea where twelfths came from (I don't feel like you'd get very far only spending a twelfth of your money on rides), but I'm a fairly casual gamer if that explains anything. Where a calcuter enters the picture, my interest ends.

Is it me, or does the sizing of the stalls and rides look off? Like everything looks too big compared to the peeps.

Big time. It's everything, look at the bench compared to the guy in that fourth picture. It looks as tall as he is. The shops in the last picture are the most obvious though. The counter where they order their food towers over them.

^Aye, but to be fair, RCTW was supposed to come out long, long before Planet Coaster.

(Also, while I agree Planet coaster looks way better, on their facebook page they post almost nothing but character animation, there's almost no actual footage of theme park building except for maybe one video they posted)

Looks like they're trying to channel the spirit of Planet Coaster's marketing in their recent videos. They're failing miserably.

People are seriously overstating things around here. Here's a perfectly nice video about something that should appeal strongly to the hard-cores around here, the ability to fully customize the game, but instead of being praised the creators are said to be "failing miserably" for literally no reason.