TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rollercoaster Tycoon World (RCTW) Discussion Thread

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new coaster edit is nice. That's exactly what I wanted from this generation of coaster sims, and it looks like each game will have something similar.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the lack of walls, roofs, etc. Apparently in RCTW, "buildings" will be pre-made scenery objects rather than custom structures made from a multitude of scenery objects. Stations are also obviously pre-made...

Of course the initial reaction to that is to hope that the custom modeling community will make up for it, but I'm not sure how that will work out... With everything being rotatable in a million different directions and no ability to snap to a grid as of yet, we might be limited to making custom buildings to import. I think that takes away a certain element of creativity.

I think this will be a fun game to fart around with, but I don't think it's going to be exactly what most here are hoping for. Planet Coaster may find an edge here.

However I've also heard that the devs have dropped lines about the initial release "just being the foundation". We'll see where that goes...

Of course the initial reaction to that is to hope that the custom modeling community will make up for it, but I'm not sure how that will work out... With everything being rotatable in a million different directions and no ability to snap to a grid as of yet, we might be limited to making custom buildings to import. I think that takes away a certain element of creativity.

Hi everyone!

This game looks a lot better now! Yay! And I see your point. I make cfr for rct3, and you have to code in order to make it position itself on the snap tiles. I guess you could skip this after the animation, but I don't know how well that would work. But I can still enjoy the normal in game stuff I guess...

Oh, so if you decided to open that coaster to the peeps, then it wouldn't fly off the track? Thats totally fine; and simply show terrible stats and such. Or will it still fly off the track during normal operation?

The pop-up on the video after it flew off was small and I can't remember exactly what it said, but I got the feeling that you had to test your coaster first and if it flew off the track like that, then you couldn't open it until you'd fixed the coaster and had a successful test run.

With everything being rotatable in a million different directions and no ability to snap to a grid as of yet, we might be limited to making custom buildings to import.

They did say that the game will have a snapping feature available, which should help somewhat:

Freeform Object Placement: Control and place every single in-game object anywhere on the map at any angle. For our more casual users we are also providing ‘snap-to’ and ‘brush’ placement functionality to make this enhancement easy to use.

More broadly, as a Mac user, my excitement is a bit tempered with the lack of any plans for a Mac release, but that's okay. I'd much rather see them focus on making a high-quality product than worry about expanding the compatibility of a lackluster one.

This game is looking great! Though, I don't get why they chose to have a train go flying off the track. It's just not something that happens in real life except for accidents, so why is it in the game?

Roller coasters also don't explode into a ball of fire, but they did in the original RCT games!

I still see myself as a RCT2 guy but that's a personal preference thing. This game looks pretty good, I just love the RCT2 interface and the incredible things we can now do with it thanks to over a decade of custom scenery and user created content. I do give them a lot of credit for listening to the community and improving the game the way they are.

This game is looking great! Though, I don't get why they chose to have a train go flying off the track. It's just not something that happens in real life except for accidents, so why is it in the game?

Roller coasters also don't explode into a ball of fire, but they did in the original RCT games!

LOL, and that confused me too!

I still see myself as a RCT2 guy but that's a personal preference thing. This game looks pretty good, I just love the RCT2 interface and the incredible things we can now do with it thanks to over a decade of custom scenery and user created content. I do give them a lot of credit for listening to the community and improving the game the way they are.

Me too! RCT2 is bt far my favourite but I LOVE how RCTW looks. I also hope this is available for Mac so I can use it!

I'm curious to see how this all plays out.

As someone who initially broke the bounds of RCT3 and helped people see the game for more than it was designed, I hope some of these elements exist in this new iteration. A big part of RCT3 was using the engine to create "dark rides." I wonder how this new version will translate.

It was mentioned that there is a lack of walls and building components. I'm also curious about the use of particle effects, triggers, etc. Will this vital part of RCT3 modding make it into this game?

I keep hearing that there will be support for modding- and that is fantastic news- but will we be having to mod basic elements that should already be a part of the game?

Furthermore, RCT3 has been around for years now; there is so much material. In a way, RCTW will feel like a step backwards. Unless- of course, some of the sets from RCT3 can be converted. Will this game eventually support something as fantastic as this:

These are a few things that come to mind. I'm excited though. It has definitely re-peaked my desire to dive back into the world of coaster sim.

-Jason

AKA jmainaz