TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rollercoaster Tycoon World (RCTW) Discussion Thread

RCT already did the cartoony stuff in the previous games... (RCT3D and RCT4M being the worst and the cartooniest yet). Those games still exist, and can be purchased for those who long for a cartoony RCT. I personally think it's time for RCT mature a bit. Making a game more realistic doesn't mean it will be complicated and drive people away from it. Did you read the way coaster construction will work in RCTW in that article? For all we know, it can be really complicated, but it's all about trying new things.

That's what I want PipeWorks to do with RCTW: Try NEW things that haven't been done before with RCT, and realism is one of those things. I'm not saying to go for total realism, but at the same time, not make the game look silly. Many people who are interested in RCTW are long-time fans who are older now. PipeWorks needs to keep that in mind.

And for the record: RCT out-sells No Limits because RCT is a well-known established brand that started the theme park simulation game experience on the PC.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a realistic theme park sim, get Theme Park Studio. Roller Coaster Tycoon has a certain style. I agree, ease of use is the most appealing feature of RCT games. I've always thought it struck the balance of realistic and cartoonish pretty well, even in the third one. I mean, the second one is still my favorite, but the third one has its perks.

My hope is that World is to RCT3 as RCT2 was the RCT. Similar, but perfected. Do I think that will happen? Well, we don't know enough about it yet, do we?

RCT already did the cartoony stuff in the previous games... (RCT3D and RCT4M being the worst and the cartooniest yet). Those games still exist, and can be purchased for those who long for a cartoony RCT. I personally think it's time for RCT mature a bit.

There it is! There's the problem - not with the game, but with the community!

The community that played the RollerCoaster Tycoon series as children expects the game to grow up as they grow up. I've found that this mentality is hugely true with Nintendo's fans too! How many times have you read posts and comments from people who played Ocarina of Time as children saying that they want the next Legend of Zelda game to be Nintendo's version of The Elder Scrolls V? Care has to be taken to make sure that the game is satisfying enough to the fans while still introducing that younger demographic to the series.

I said "a bit". I made it clear I wouldn't want it ultra realistic. And some games actually DO mature for the people who grew up with it. Spyro and Rayman are both good examples of that, and their newer games sold very well.

I don't want to seem like I'm judging RCTW too harshly. I mean, the game is still in development, and things might change. But whether or not any changes happen, from what I've seen, I'm interested, but not too impressed.

It might be there already. They only mentioned 4 themes, but I'm sure there will be more. I'm also hoping they'll have some good animatronics and scares if they make a Spooky theme set. I hardly use the ones in RCT3.

Edited by Risky

So I logged on to Facebook today on my lunch break at work and saw an update from the Official RCT World fan page. The update was that Pipeworks will be releasing more screenshots and a gameplay video very soon, and that achievements will be implemented in the game just like Microsoft does with the xbox consoles. I am looking forward to seeing gameplay of the new construction system, most everything I read says it's really easy to use but I want to see it to believe it.

^ Me too. I'm especially curious about how "easy" the new coaster construction is going to be. I mean, it sounds awesome and innovative, but that doesn't mean it's easy. I hope they show a video telling and showing us how the new coaster construction will work... Maybe even videos explaining the themes, rides, and other things the game has to offer. We'll see though. Very excited that Pipeworks is going to show some stuff off soon. Hopefully "soon" means sometime this week.

Also, they had this to say on facebook as well:

"To answer your question about a Mac version... It will eventually be available but for now the team is focused on the windows version. Stand by for more info..."

So now we know there will be a Mac version of the game at one point.

^ Me too. I'm especially curious about how "easy" the new coaster construction is going to be. I mean, it sounds awesome and innovative, but that doesn't mean it's easy. I hope they show a video telling and showing us how the new coaster construction will work... Maybe even videos explaining the themes, rides, and other things the game has to offer. We'll see though. Very excited that Pipeworks is going to show some stuff off soon. Hopefully "soon" means sometime this week.

Also, they had this to say on facebook as well:

"To answer your question about a Mac version... It will eventually be available but for now the team is focused on the windows version. Stand by for more info..."

So now we know there will be a Mac version of the game at one point.

Well the articles that I have been reading, you can construct a coaster in "under a minutes time." I think that may be under exaggerating a bit (depending on the size of the coaster). Even in RCT 3, it took at least 3-5 minutes to complete a really good coaster.

So, the best way to let Pipeworks know what we want in the game is to post it on the RCTWorld facebook page.

"Just to remind everyone to post your suggestions about the game on our wall rather than in PM. This way Pipeworks Software will be able to read them directly. The more of you post your suggestions and ideas the more likely they will be looked into and even implemented."

It sounds like they are really going to listen to the fans. That's pretty rare for game developers to do that.

https://www.facebook.com/rctw.portal?fref=photo

^ True. I guess they should've told us this earlier. But maybe Pipeworks is going off of the suggestions fan posted on the Atari forums back in 2010. Atari did ask the fans to tell them what they would want in the next RCT for PC. Hopefully Atari held on to that list of suggestions. As far as I know, the Atari forums is long gone.

A while ago I sent the developers this message on Facebook:

Dear RCTW development team.

I'm a coaster enthusiast and very long term fan of the series, and every other enthusiast I'v spoken to seems increasingly worried with the way rides are themed. Themed rides are always a nice POSSIBLE addition to the park, but generic themed rides are always the staple, and I think it would hurt the game greatly if some type of rides that exist in the real world are only available in the game under a certain theme (For example, if the Screaming Swing ride was only available with the western barn theming).

We're also worried by the lack of "Generic" theme. We're hoping that "Americana" is just another word for "Generic", but even so it seems to have some stylized theming attached to it which might limit the possibilities for anyone wanting to make a park that looks like an average, not-necessarily-american themed park.

We believe these things could completely ruin the game fpr us hardcore coaster enthusiasts....

Please ease my worries!

Today they responded with:

Hi Tomi, thanks for your thoughtful notes suggestions! I'm sharing this with the rest of the team. We'll have more updates on RCTW to share soon, but trust that the utmost care is being put into making this the best RCT experience yet!

Cheers!

Just thought I'd put it out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Pipeworks has been reading all the suggestions on the facebook page. They claim to have a lot of interest in the suggestions fans have posted. They also say there's a lot they're going to reveal very soon. I hope that means sometime this week.

Pipeworks has been reading all the suggestions on the facebook page. They claim to have a lot of interest in the suggestions fans have posted. They also say there's a lot they're going to reveal very soon. I hope that means sometime this week.

Yes I am eagerly anticipating some new footage, I want to see the new construction system and what new rides and roller coasters Pipeworks are adding to the game.

Yes.

This is what I posted on their facebook page a while ago:

Hi. Here's a wishlist/suggestion post I posted on the RCTWorld page. Just wanted to make sure you guys see it as well:

I’d like a sandbox mode with the ability to build my park on one huge plot of land like in RCT3 if I’m playing offline. I wouldn’t want the land to be separated into four plots.

I’d like to be able to build buildings the same way as in RCT3, as well as be able to use existing custom scenery sets.

I’d like to design my own peeps and mascots.

I'd like for the game to have fearless peeps who will ride ANYTHING you create and not throw up. Also the mascots should be able to ride the rides as well (like at Disneyland).

More realistic supports for the coasters and catwalks.

Have a waiting area for the coasters and no entrances/exits that take up a tile on the grid.

More realistic queues or the ability to make our own pathways to the rides where the peeps will form a line.

More realistic restaurants, food stalls, and stores/gift shops.

Bigger park capacity. I'd like for my park to get packed-out with visitors.

Instead of themes and pre-made themed rides, I’d like to be able to hit buttons that say “Deck-out park for Halloween” or “Deck-out park for Christmas” and then the game would instantly transform your park, rides, and mascots accordingly. This would also mean the game would have to go through the months and seasons, but I’d like to have control of the weather, daytime, and nighttime like in RCT3.

I’d like no restrictions when it comes to ride placement. I’d like to be able to place a thrill ride or start a coaster station in ANY angle. Also more realistic park walkways instead of paths on a grid (I really liked the small glimpse we had in the game trailer where it looked like a real amusement park).

My best advice would be for you guys to visit some theme parks like Knott's Berry Farm, Great America, and Magic Mountain and take notes and a sketchbook to get some more inspiration for RCTWorld.

Can't wait to see what they've done. I'd be amazed if they went through with some of my suggestions.

Thought u guys would find this interesting, found this on Pipeworks Twitter:

Pipeworks Software @pipeworks · Oct 6

@SandroStepic There's stuff planned every month up until launch and then beyond that as well.

I am pretty sure that means there will be expansion packs for RCTW, that is friekin awesome if its true!

Yeah, but it'd be nice if they'd release a platinum version as well as a regular version with the expansion packs sold separately, giving us more buying options. But since that's unlikely, I guess I'd have to wait for a platinum version... unless they decide to not have any expansion packs at all. That would be a nice change.

Also I'm sort of worried if there will be a disc hard copy of the game... Pipeworks said on facebook that their main focus right now is releasing the game on Steam. :/