cfc

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hershey Park is the paradise of Intamin

True. And two of them are my 2nd and 3rd favourite rides!

^Skyrush is "borderline" when it comes to intensity until the last third of the ride, when it finally lets up.

I've been hearing this year (especially from this trip) that the last bit of skyrush was not as intense as the rest but when I rode it last year that last airtime hill was just as insane as the others. Also, I'm like you. The only thing that keeps it from being my favourite coaster are the restraints.

As I have said previously, I believe I figured out the reason; it seems that they are running Train 2 (the one with the softer restraints) more often. They are more comfortable and they therefore seem more tame; somehow the pain is perceived as intensifying the ride. When I went in August, I ended up riding both trains, and I could tell the difference.

The airtime coming off the first hill on Skyrush in a wing seat is one of the most scary things to experience on a coaster. It's pretty wild feeling yourself being tossed from the coaster with no floor below you. The restraints are tolerable now, especially since they release them when you are waiting in the break run. I find the part you have to watch for is the quick transition turns on the coaster, but if you know they are coming they are fine. Its a great coaster, intense but re-rideable.

The coasters that deserve the most love at Hershey IMO are Lightning Racer and sooperdooperLooper. Lightning Racer is probably the most perfect racing coaster in existance as far at the racing aspect goes. the trains interact they entire ride and almost always have a close finish.

Everytime I ride sooperdooperLooper, I cannot believe Schwarzkopf went out of business. 36 years old and still rides as smooth as glass. Granted it has new trains, but it was smooth with the old Schwarzkopf trains. You also have to admire all of the love that Hershey has given this classic ride. New trains and new paint on the station.

Speaking of paint, i find Hershey one of the better maintained parks. Everything is maintained, painted and landscaped and has a clean, new feeling.

It's funny you posted Great America pics on this same thread, because that park it the exact opposite of that. It is one of the most run-down neglected parks I have been to recently. They really need to stop the "cleanest theme park in the world" propoganda at Great America. It definitely is not that at all. It's only saving grace is the great coaster and flat ride collection. You just have to have blinders on when you ride the rides there and ignore the digusting setting that they are in.

Superdooperlooper has held up really well--still a fun ride for all age groups. Lightning Racer is one of GCI's best creations. Unfortunately, the park's other woodie, Wildcat, has not held up so well, although it's better than it was a few years ago.

EDIT: Corrected name of Lightning Racer to please Thad.

Edited by cfc

Superdooperlooper has held up really well--still a fun ride for all age groups. Lightning Run is one of GCI's best creations. Unfortunately, the park's other woodie, Wildcat, has not held up so well, although it's better than it was a few years ago.

As TPR's self appointed coaster expert, I feel the need to point out that you're talking about Lightning Racer, not Lightning Run. This is an unacceptable mistake, Chuck.

It's funny to hear people's first opinions on Skyrush. I used to rank it as my #1 steel, but it was definitely toned down this season for some reason. Still an amazing ride, but not what it once was.

Edited by Barge84

Skyrush was very fun when I rode it in 2012, but it is one of those rides you need to prepare for. Unfortunately, I only got one ride on it, and riding it in the "hands up" position took away from the experience for me. It wasn't even so much the airtime/uncomfortable lap bar combo that did it...it was the openness of the trains on the s-curves, which tossed my upper body like a rag doll, which did it. If I was more prepared for this, along with the restraints in general, it would have went from a top 5 steel to number 2 (behind Bizarro at SFNE when it was still S:RoS).

Can't wait to go back to Hershey. Great update as usual, Chuck!

^I agree that Skyrush is not a "hands up" ride.

I could not put my hands up on Skyrush for more than a few seconds. It's one of the few rides I've ridden where I am holding onto the restraints for my dear life. I agree that the restraints are kind of uncomfortable but Skyrush is the kind of ride where you need to be stapled to your seat.

Although Skyrush has great ejector air, I prefer Storm Runner as it's more re-rideable and fun and I love launches. Fahrenheit and Lightning Racer were also excellent coasters. On the first day, I liked Fahrenheit more than Skyrush, but on the second day I decided that I liked Skyrush better than Fahrenheit. Still, Hersheypark has third and fourth place coasters that would be first place at many other parks. How many other parks can boast this claim?

That's why it annoys me. If it wasn't for the pain it gave me during the airtime moments I would have kept my hands up all the time. Actually during my 5 or 6 rides last year a few of them were 100% hands up and the others were hands on the restraints during the hills to avoid pain. What I mena is this is the ride (due to its intensity) that makes me want to have my hands up the most and at the same time in order to have a reasonably comfortable ride you have (at least I did) to hold on. That's the problem for me: I can't enjoy it as much as I want due to the pain if I don't hold on or the fact that I'm holding on.

That being said, it's still a one of a kind ride. It's the only one where I really felt I had no control of what was happening and it has it all: great negatives; great positives (5g?) and awesome transitions.

It is actually at the point where I mostly ride in the center seats just to avoid much of the roughness and tuck my legs under my seat so that I can ride hands-up through the whole thing. Nearly impossible to do that on the outside as you are easily shaken around too much. I do miss the glory days of the top-speed lift though.

It's really unfortunate about the trimming on Raging Bull. I recon it would rank among the best if it wasn't for the trims. I imagine it has more to do with maintenance and keeping the ride from beating itself up to much more so than it has to do with trimming the intensity. Overall, great report! Skyrush is as beautiful as always and I'd hope to get on it one day.

022_223.jpg

This is among the greatest things in the history of history.

Your reports are awesome. I will now add my comments about the last couple of updates, as I have been busy and missed them when they were posted:

Holiday World - I do feel this park is a bit overhyped, especially among enthusiasts. The Voyage's first half was definitely better than it was in 2010, but the second part...ugh. This is just not my style of coaster, and unless it gets some sort of RMC makeover, I don't think I'll ride again. The Raven and The Legend were still fun, and The Raven is still one of my most favorite coasters anywhere. But I have to say that the highlight of the park, if not the entire trip, was Mammoth. One of the best rides in any park, the ERT on this was just insane fun. We spend almost the entire day in the water park (I have to say that whoever put all the pool floaties in the Lazy River is a genius), but our time on Mammoth that night was some of the most fun I've had this year.

Indiana Beach - I thought the park seemed a bit sadder than it was in 2010, but I still had fun there. Those tacos are not the best in the world, but they're pretty damn tasty for park tacos. And any park that has Fascination can't be all that bad!

SFGAm - Ugh. Never has the phrase "Six Flags Day" been more apt. Horrible operations, terrible crowds of obnoxious people, extremely overpriced food and drink, and so on combined to not only be easily the worst park visit I've had anywhere this year, but one of the worst SF experiences ever (and I live within easy driving distance of SFA). I have no idea who's running this place now, but they need to be put in charge of something more their speed, like a tire fire. I got a horrible migraine from my time there, and I think the only positives from the day were watching the "running of the bulls" to Goliath in the morning, and The Wizzer. I do believe it will take a ton of positive reviews for me to spend any time there again.

I find it amusing that I live about 90 minutes from Hersheypark, and have still not been on Skyrush. I am lazy!

dt

I love me some Skyrush. I agree with a few who said its been tone down some since opening but it's still a crazy airtime machine. The storm runner ERT at night was one of my favorite ERT sessions I've been on with TPR. Of course, nothing beats Glow ERT on Phoenix at Knoebels. ( spoiler alert for next update )

Unless you're an S & M afficiando......the flogging it gives you could be nice..LOL. On the first drop it is for the out of your seat feeling, but after that you better hold on tight for dear life!!!!

I guess that makes me an S&M aficionado. I had my hands up the entire time, every ride. I guess I like getting thrown around like a rag doll. Also, riding hands-free makes me feel like I conquered the ride, as opposed to merely surviving it. It's definitely my favorite coaster at the park. I loved it!

As usual, great TR Chuck. Fantastic photos and appropriately clever captions to boot! Looking forward to the next installment. I enjoyed this trip down memory lane.

Chuck aces Photo TR's again!

I rode Skyrush a week or so after you guys' trip and felt similarly, Chuck. I don't think I had felt that frightened on a coaster since I was 8 years old. I tried to marathon and just couldn't--too much pain on the thighs, while my friend had hardly any issues. I maxed out at about 6-7 rides. I'd love to try it again after slimming down some. As much as I wanted it to be a top 5, it probably fell somewhere 6-10.

I liked Goliath as well (after being slightly underwhelmed during the first ride of the day). I did ride Outlaw Run a month ago or so and Goliath definitely pales in comparison and I'm left wondering "damn, Six Flags, what could have been?".

As for Six Flags Great America, the park didn't offend me as much others but I also have never been during better (and more TPR accommodating) days. Raging Bull did disappoint and I think my other favorite rides were V2 and Whizzer (which was my 200th credit, btw--sorry, no shameless picture of me riding with a sign).