TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rides You Can't Ride?

Having LOVED roller coasters since the age of 5, and I am now 26 there have come rides that I can no longer ride. I am not talking about rides I can not ride because of a height restriction or a needing a small child to ride. I am talking about rides that your body can NOT physically handle any more.

As I age... I notice my body can NOT handle a ride on a Skyloop coaster in the back row. The aggressive movements in the back row is just to much for my body to handle. So it made me curious to find out... Are there any coasters that with time your body simply can not handle? (When I say "Your body can not handle it" I mean that you are so sore then next day you can not even move.)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously though, I do admit that I hit my 40s and there are certain things that I don't like as much as I used to in my mid 20s, but nothing that I won't ride. I mean, I even took two rides on Voyage this past trip and in the same day and then (after my headache died down) I rode Raven nearly 10 times in a row, in the back car, at night!

I think I'm a bit more "selective" now what I ride multiple times, but I'll still ride pretty much everything, at least once, and if it doesn't hurt me or give night terrors, I'll ride it as many times as I want to.

I've never been a big "marathon rider", meaning even my most favorite rides, 4 or 5 rides is usually enough, but if I had to go multiple laps for whatever reason, I don't think there is anything stopping me.

Edited by robbalvey

^ I second that, Robb...

Even though I have also hit my 40's, I'll still go on just about anything. If it is rough and crappy, usually one and done just to say I rode it and then skip it the next time I visit the park.

I will say what others have said about the wing rider restraints in that they really hurt my collar bone. But that still didn't stop me from riding Banshee seven times during ERT. Because it was a FUN ride, I was willing to sacrifice the uncomfortableness just for the sake of a really good coaster ride.

On the flip side of that, I thought that Son Of Beast did something horribly wrong to my body and I was actually a little concerned about it after I got off the coaster. That is probably the only time where I thought a ride may have done some serious bodily harm & even though it didn't, I swore off the ride completely and said "Never again!"

And now, none of us has to worry about that horrible piece of crap ever inflicting harm on myself or anyone again!

For me it's come to the point that I don't re-ride or mini-marathon certain rides like I used to, especially now that I'm in my mid-40's. For example during Banshee early rides, since I have a platinum pass, I try to get as many rides I can before the park opens. Three consecutive rides were about as much as my body could handle and I needed a break.

The one coaster I have totally sworn off are the Flight of Fears at KI and KD. The launch is fine but the spaghetti bowl layout gives me a headache.

Plenty of flats fall into this category for me...and I'm not even 26 like the OP Rode Fireball at SCBB, and while I was fine on the ride, I came off with nausea and a bad headache.

Roar at SFDK gave me a fairly bad headache as well last time, though I tend to get those often. I actually felt better after my first ride on Knott's GhostRider.

There was also that one time when I went to BGW and felt awful after AC, Alpengeist, and Griffon due to poor dietary choices, but that's a story for another day

...if it doesn't give me night terrors...

That...actually sounds pretty awesome. Coaster night terrors? Bring it on! Way better than hallucinating a 9-foot tall spiky monster ripping your guts out.

The first ride that comes to mind that I cant ride anymore is Colossus at Thorpe Park because that makes me really ill. I will say thats not just down to Colossus itself though, for some reason over the years I have developed a distinct dislike for inlines/barrel rolls and they make me really dizzy and want to throw up.

I do feel different after riding something like Nemesis than when I did when I was 12 but unless that ride is going to make me pass out or violently ill there is no way im going to stop riding it!

After a bunch of rides in a row on Bizarro at SFGAdv, I felt a bit nauseous, but nothing major. On the other hand, I can ride El Toro 20 or 30 times in a row (I know this due to a particularly good ERT event.) I've never vomited due to a coaster. I am a young person, however.

Speaking of Bizarro, I rode the other one upwards of 400 times so far this year. It's running better than it has been the past few years, but I'd only give it an 8/10 in terms of ride. I cannot ride Mind Eraser, though. Every time I go near the Queue, the nearby tea cups demand that I come over and spin the bejeezus out of them. Then I need to cool off with more Bizarro.

My park experience is very limited but the one thing I absolutely refuse to ride is Wahoo Racer at SFSTL HH. It is a on your belly mat slide. I think I just have to much mass as every hill I get excellent airtime but the landing is just brutal as I must come down on the flat part and my knees and elbows just can't take that kind of punishment. I am retired.

I had more fear trying that ride again earlier this summer than I did doing a face first 50' rappel off an overhang cliff at Boy Scout Camp.

My boys want to bring a video camera for the speed slides as I apparently create the largest splash they have ever seen.

image.thumb.jpg.2b81c6a89a97bd1faa1d8c8591a8c4f2.jpg

Not me, but same cliff.

Invertigo at Kings Island made me pretty sick after just one ride. I also have to be careful with Banshee and space out my rides more than I'd like because it's so disorienting that it could make me sick if I'm not careful.

Haven't had issues with any other rides.

Well, I will say a few things:

- My nausea tolerance has gone down tremendously in just a few years, and I almost never rides spinning flat rides as a result. Being dizzy just isn't fun to me anymore, but my three-year-old niece will say to me, "come on, let's spin and get dizzy! It's so much fun!" I do enjoy S&S Screamin' Swings, but any of the major Huss rides, as well as a lot of smaller flats (ex. Chaos, Wipeout, etc.) are out of the question. I figure it's just inner-ear changes, but fortunately I haven't had any issues with coasters or tower rides.

- If I'm too hungry/thirsty, or if I've simply had too long a day in a scorching sun (a 100°F, high humidity day at Carowinds comes to mind), I feel more sensitive to forces and more sluggish overall, so I'm less likely to marathon rides.

- If a ride is poorly maintained or just rough to begin with, I'll grab the credit, hope to minimize pain, and then move on. I've done 40 consecutive rides on Phantom's Revenge for a show filming with no issues, but I'd be hard-pressed to do an SLC even twice consecutively.

- Even if I ride a bunch of rough coasters and feel exhausted the next day, I think it has more to do with constant walking/scrambling/schedule-making to cram everything in that I want to do at the park, than it does with physical pain caused by rides.

I'm usually good to go with anything, but I do admit the old Texas Giant gave me bruises and a headache once when I rode twice in a row - seriously!? - so I didn't do that again. It was really rickety, and I didn't have anyone next to me to keep me from getting thrown around too much. (I normally rode with my dad, and he is much bigger than I am, so I would usually hit him before the two-inch-tall seat divider.

Huh. After looking over the comments, I guess I have a death wish.

Granted, I'm only 20, so I shouldn't even be having significant problems with rides. I've actually made it a tradition of mine to immediately go on the spinniest ride in the park after I eat a big meal just to see if I can conjure up a puke-nado. I've yet to run into a coaster that's really given me noticeable problems, although the Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz Boardwalk shook me like a ragdoll.

But I remember Orbit at CGA giving me second thoughts. I wasn't used to the sensation of Gs quite yet, and getting sent on an enterprise of death probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. Schwarzkopf made some pretty forceful coasters... and apparently that thing. All I remember after getting off that was recovering from all my blood being drained into my toes. Oddly enough, they don't mention it on the site anymore, so maybe it got moved or scrapped?

I'm only 26 so I'm yet to experience this except for when the difference in height (not age) is the problem. This is the case on stand-up coasters. I used to enjoy them but now I just ride them for the credit. Believe it or not I think the one at Kings Dominion might actually be my favorite but I don't enjoy it. I find these coasters extremely uncomfortable.

I'm 47 and my Partner is 55. . and although there are coasters we prefer not to ride (Boomerangs), we don't skip them because we "can't ride" them. . and occasionally do get on them. So for COASTERS the answer is none. . we ride all of them, just some not as much as others.

however, there are some spinning/flipping flats that we avoid and are simply unable to ride because the result is we're dizzy/sick.

We're ok on Tilt-a-Whirls, Himalayas, Sooper Loops, Sizzlers, etc stuff of that nature (heck, we're even OK on Enterprises and Looping Starships). . . but keep us away from Top Spins, or Chaos type rides. will never ever get on that again.

oh. . we also don't ride these:

464692_10201054101571853_1179935470_o.jpg

we've never actually tried one (and we love Frisbees). . .but just looking at it?. . we agreed this type of ride will make us ill. . so we've never been on one.