TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Smoothest Coaster You've Ridden?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides Raging Spirits (2013), I posted a couple of pages back, I totally forgot about this one! So...

The family coaster, Orkanen (The Hurricane), at Farup Sommerland in Denmark, was really really smooth to me.

So much so, it was my automatic re-ride again and again, in this park. I think I rode it over ten times, but I

never really counted, lol. Too much fun on it, to count re-rides.

And the last part of it, what I called "the landing", with the mist was wonderful! Loved that part again and again, too.

I'm liking that new Vekoma track.

Raptor

I'm not kidding at all. One of the trains had a very slight rattle and I may have only ridden in the front but seriously Raptor was smoother than Banshee or either of the Batman clones I've ridden. The only "rough" thing about it is the whip in the inversions, which is entirely avoided by leaning slightly forward (which I tend to do on all coasters anyway lol)

I find the majority of steel coasters smooth, a few significantly smoother than others but I think I'd be better suited to respond to a "roughest steel coasters you've ridden" thread since those stick out more in my mind.

So I'm just gonna say El Toro since its exceptionally smooth for a 10 year old wooden coaster. Obviously its smoother than other woodies due to its design but now that its 10 years old and still as smooth and awesome as it is, I think it deserves to be mentioned here.

Also people answering things like B&M inverts or Maverick for instance I'm not sure understand the difference between rough and snappy. Maverick is one of the smoothest yet out of control rides I've ever had, and its why its my #1.

American Thunder desevres a mention. SFStL has really taken care of it the last 8 years.

I agree. Smoothest woodie I've been on outside of Outlaw Run and Switchback. I thought that it was the average smoothness for a GCI but Thunderhead proves just how well maintained American Thunder is in comparison.

American Thunder desevres a mention. SFStL has really taken care of it the last 8 years.

I agree. Smoothest woodie I've been on outside of Outlaw Run and Switchback. I thought that it was the average smoothness for a GCI but Thunderhead proves just how well maintained American Thunder is in comparison.

This was also my perception. I was spoiled into thinking this for the longest time until I became more aware of the criticalness directed towards GCI on TPR.

IMO American Thunder is also one of the best. I never understood why people here dislike GCI's as I was (again) spoiled by the GCI-gravy-goodness that is American Thunder.

I wish I could have ridden AT more times. I only got to ride it once near the front early in the day during Fright Fest, so I got pretty awkwardly placed airtime and it was running sort of sluggish. I'm sure if I had ridden it near the back it would be way higher on my list.

To go a little bit outside the box, Lightning Racer is one of the overall smoothest and most comfortable coasters -- not just wooden -- that I've ever ridden. What's more, it's reliably been that way every year I've visited Hershey. Yeah, you could say that the trains aren't the greatest for large riders or that the layout could use more airtime, but there isn't one moment of even slight discomfort to be had on either track.

I totally forgot Valravn in my list. There was one weird slight rattle after the second steep drop but I only noticed that one of my rides and it didn't affect the ride at all. The entire ride is awesomely smooth.

I don't really notice roughness unless it really effects the ride. Kind of made myself ignore it as I got older.

But these are some that have always been on the smoothest ride list:

Millennium Force

Raptor/Gatekeeper (Basically any B&M)

Beast (for a Wooden Coaster)

I would say Magnum is underrated in terms of smoothness, as is Blue Streak. Just have to know how to ride it.

The new premiers like tempesto are probably the smoothest coasters in existence. Maverick is up there too..

B&Ms dont seem to age that well these days except for the inverts which are all glass smooth!

I was thinking the other way around! I know not many people here will agree with me, but I felt like Raptor was by far the roughest B&M I've been on. (I've been on Wildfire (SDC), Patriot (WoF), Valravn, Gatekeeper, Rougarou, and Raptor) I guess it's also the oldest out of those six.

The new premiers like tempesto are probably the smoothest coasters in existence. Maverick is up there too..

B&Ms dont seem to age that well these days except for the inverts which are all glass smooth!

I was thinking the other way around! I know not many people here will agree with me, but I felt like Raptor was by far the roughest B&M I've been on. (I've been on Wildfire (SDC), Patriot (WoF), Valravn, Gatekeeper, Rougarou, and Raptor) I guess it's also the oldest out of those six.

However, Nemesis is so smooth, even though it is really old now.

I'm going to away from the traditional answers and say Gemini at CP. I've never experienced any rough spot on that ride, even when marathoning it a Coasting for Kids. It has definitely aged very well.

I'm going to away from the traditional answers and say Gemini at CP. I've never experienced any rough spot on that ride, even when marathoning it a Coasting for Kids. It has definitely aged very well.

I'd agree with you in the front row, but the back row on Gemini was one of the worst experiences I've had on a coaster. It felt like my guts were being put through a trash compactor.

I'd agree with you in the front row, but the back row on Gemini was one of the worst experiences I've had on a coaster. It felt like my guts were being put through a trash compactor.

2nd to last row was fine for me, it's one I really enjoy (Magnum as well) but I don't know if I've ever done the very last row so I'm not sure if it's worse.