TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Smoothest Coaster You've Ridden?

I have been on a couple hundred coasters at this point and I can't think of anything smoother than Dare Devil Dive. It is smooth beyond belief. You can't feel the track under you at all. I'm not sure how Gerstlauer does it! Much smoother than any new B&M. Amazingly smooth especially considering some of their others are relatively rough.

Cheetah Hunt and Superman at SFDK are both very smooth as well.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this thread, I am seeing many B&M's, RMC's, Intamins, new age Premiers.

I think it is more impressive to give a shout out to a very smooth coaster from a normally bad company. And for me, that is Firehawk at Kings Island. I seriously thought I was going to hate this coaster, but I found it to be as smooth as I would expect from a B&M. No Vekoma has ever surprised me like that before.

Some of my votes go to:

Top Thrill Dragster, and Millennium Force... Mainly because at those speeds the track must be glass smooth.

Honorable mentions:

Diamondback at Kings Island

WildFire at Silver Dollar City

GateKeeper at Cedar Point

(Basically ANY B&M coaster)

Call me crazy, but none of the RMC coasters fall under "Smoothest Coaster I've ever ridden" unless I am only sitting in a seat that does NOT have a wheel below it. But since I can sit above a wheel, and have a "not so smooth ride" then I can't vote for them to be the smoothest.

Both Silver Bullet (KBF) and YOLOcoaster are extremely smooth coasters. Honorable mentions are Maverick and Banshee.

I wouldn't call maverick smooth.

Maverick is a very smooth coaster. However, it's transitions are very abrupt, which could give it a "not so smooth" feeling.

I guess a smooth coaster can still be uncomfortable. I would consider Green Lantern First Fight crystal smooth but that doesn't help with the uncomfortable restraints or jarring sudden but smooth stop on a dime from full flip into the break run. Tatsu feels smooth but the restraints will get to you after a couple of rides. Even the G forces will make most people nauseous on Goliath before the bumps and bruises set in. Some coasters are also relatively smooth like Xcelerator or Full Throtle but get a slight high speed wind wobble or rattle that can't really be avoided and don't distract much from the experience.

Both Silver Bullet (KBF) and YOLOcoaster are extremely smooth coasters. Honorable mentions are Maverick and Banshee.

I wouldn't call maverick smooth.

Maverick is a very smooth coaster. However, it's transitions are very abrupt, which could give it a "not so smooth" feeling.

If headbanging isn't considered rough, then Vekoma SLCs should be considered smooth.

I guess a smooth coaster can still be uncomfortable. I would consider Green Lantern First Fight crystal smooth but that doesn't help with the uncomfortable restraints or jarring sudden but smooth stop on a dime from full flip into the break run. Tatsu feels smooth but the restraints will get to you after a couple of rides. Even the G forces will make most people nauseous on Goliath before the bumps and bruises set in. Some coasters are also relatively smooth like Xcelerator or YOLOcoaster but get a slight high speed wind wobble or rattle that can't really be avoided and don't distract much from the experience.

Yeah, Shockwave was very smooth but uncomfortable, even for me at times. Nonetheless, I still loved the thing. I didn't know standup airtime would be so much fun!

If headbanging isn't considered rough, then Vekoma SLCs should be considered smooth.

After riding Maverick this summer, the new restraints (for us anyway) create ZERO headbanging. So... I still don't see how Maverick could be considered anything but smooth. . .

Old restraints, new restraints... Maverick never had any headbanging.

for me, it had intense neck cutting. i had a nasty mark on my neck during one of my first rides. lol i think it's just different depending on height and body size. i see videos, or guys who are tall, or big and the way they fit into the restraints, it's impossible for their head to ever hit. not me. but, i can ride it without any issues except for the turn out of the second launch. but i really needed to pay attention. haven't ridden with the new restraints, so i assume i can just relax and enjoy the ride!

as far as smooth coasters...gatekeeper, MF, banshee, goliath and raging bull at sfgam. silver bullet might be the smoothest with the OTRs. i don't really know, sorry, didn't really put a lot of thought into those answers, just what popped into my head.

Maverick is probably the smoothest coaster I have ever ridden. Old or new restraints.. But especially fun with the new restraints!

Suprisingly, I had one of the smoothest rides I've ever had on a coaster this past fall on Alpengeist. They must have changed the wheels or something, even the cobra roll had zero vibration. It was kind of weird actually, not necessarily a good thing.. It was also first thing in the morning so it was running a bit tame.

• 6 months later...

Besides Raging Spirits (TDS-2013), I posted a couple of pages back, I totally forgot about this one! So...

The family coaster, Orkanen (The Hurricane), at Farup Sommerland in Denmark, was really really smooth to me.

So much so, it was my automatic re-ride again and again, in this park. I think I rode it over ten times, but I

never really counted, lol. Too much fun on it, to count re-rides.

And the last part of it, what I called "the landing", with the mist was wonderful! Loved that part again and again, too.

1137405361_ResizeofIMG_5146.JPG.bcd106d03766e333328d9a20c086fe05.JPG

Wonderfully smooth to me, even in this part of it. TPR 2014 Scandi Tour.

Edited by Nrthwnd

Impulse last season, got on it about 2 months after opening. Unbelievably smooth, and extremely quiet! It honestly felt like we were gliding over the track rather than rolling on wheels. It was spooky quiet as well, you could hear the polyurethane on the wheels sticking slightly and peeling up from the track. Other than that, the coaster made no noise what so ever.

even though it's not as smooth as it was opening season, it's still incredibly smooth, albeit with a very slight vibration now. When you get on a coaster opening season, and it feels like a hoverboard. Well... It's only going to get worse from there.

Runner up is gotta be Tempesto at BGW. About as smooth as you can get in my opinion.